Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Berlebach Charon Observer's Chair

JeremyS

My main form of “observing” is sitting as a desk  in the observatory, working on the laptop controlling the CCD camera.

But I also like to do some visual observing with a portable set up, either in the back garden or in a field somewhere. I’ve long thought about getting an observing chair, not only to make observing more comfortable, but also because sitting steadily helps me to see more detail. Plus I can observe for longer.

I can’t resist anything Berlebach. I own a Planet and a Report tripod. They are both wonderfully made, they look beautiful and they are so tactile. The wood/varnish smell is nice too. I’d better stop before I get carried away. So I looked at the Berlebach observing chairs and posted some queries on SGL. I had decided to get the Berlebach Lyra II seat, but a too-good-to-miss offer from @FLO on a Charon chair tempted me. It arrived just before Christmas and since I went away for 3 months just after that, I wasn’t able to use it much. However, now I’m back in the country I have used it the last several evenings. This has been with my Takahashi FS 102, fitted with a diagonal, on AZ-EQ 6 on the Berlebach Planet.

So how have I got on? The simple answer is “very well”. It does make observing much more comfortable, which has really helped when try to observe Venus at high powers. It’s simple and quick to change the height of the seat: just pull the seat out of one slot and insert in another. The height adjustment range has suited all observing positions of the telescope that I have tried. (I also tried it with my C9.25, with diagonal, and that works very well too). A further, unexpected, benefit, is that when not looking through the scope, one can sit back and gaze up at the night sky, with ones back supported: all very comfortable. Oh! And the chair looks beautiful too (did I mention that I quite like Berlebach products?)

Any shortcomings? Well, very minor ones. I suppose the seat could be a bit bigger for my expansive rear end. And it might be nice to have a bit more padding (in the seat, not my posterior). But it’s still comfortable. I’ve seen others comment on this and even think I’ve seen suggestions about making the seat larger and adding more padding (to the seat not the backside). Being solid wood, the chair is fairly weighty at 5.8 kg according to FLO’s website. 
The chair folds up and it easy to carry with the carry handle (this is a cut-out to insert one’s hand, not an @johninderby external carry handle; sorry John, couldn’t resist  🙂 ). When folded flat it sits nicely on the cargo bay of my estate car.

I’ve only used the chair on flat surfaces: patio and lawn. I’m not sure how it would perform on uneven surfaces as it might wobble a bit. But I don’t see a real problem here as I observe on flat form surfaces anyway.

I am very happy with the chair and can’t think why I didn’t get one years ago.

IMG_0117.jpg.7a612c51093d17d7b158b3c0ad8bad24.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg.410f45073a3484ca3dfe222e3301727d.jpg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Geoptik Nadira which I had as a Christmas gift from my children the Christmas before last.

I do like it a lot, as Jeremy said the seat on his is a bit small, mine is similar, and I'm intrigued that a couple of guys on here have added padding for comfort..how exactly did you do that guys?

Thanks!👍😀

Jeremy, your grab n go setup looks good enough to eat!:hello2::icon_salut:

Dave

10b013.JPG

Edited by F15Rules
Photo added
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've got a Geoptik Nadira which I had as a Christmas gift from my children the Christmas before last.

I do like it a lot, as Jeremy said the seat on his is a bit small, mine is similar, and I'm intrigued that a couple of guys on here have added padding for comfort..how exactly did you do that guys?

Thanks!👍😀

Jeremy, your grab n go setup looks good enough to eat!:hello2::icon_salut:

Dave

10b013.JPG

Hello @F15Rules Dave. I got the exact same one delivered on Tuesday. Already used a couple of times and I think it’s adding to my experience. Sure I’m more relaxed at the eyepiece, so to speak, and seeing a little more detail in the views. 
Could be codswallop With a dose of wishful thinking too !!?? 
John 

• Like 1

Plus one for Berlebach products, I have the Hydra 11 chair and it’s fantastic for an old crock like me with a dodgy back.  Nicely padded seat which is easily adjustable. Decided to use a bungee chord to keep detachable seat and A frame together when not in use. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Plus one for Berlebach products, I have the Hydra 11 chair and it’s fantastic for an old crock like me with a dodgy back.  Nicely padded seat which is easily adjustable. Decided to use a bungee chord to keep detachable seat and A frame together when not in use. 

Feel free to add a pic to our thread at: