SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How can I narrow down what I'm seeing? (Beginner, binoculars)

Need a bit of help to narrow down what I see, I've wanted to buy a telescope a year ago but a couple of things stopped that decision.

Saw a strong bright glowing star in the cloudless sky so I picked up my old binoculars laying around. I appended three images, one what my phone saw, secondly the raw image, thirdly a star map pointing towards the object (center-ish).

I know it feels pretty laughable for s.o with an 8" GOTO + 5 yrs of experience, but maybe we can attempt to locate the object anyway ;)

Screenshot_20200312-192817__01.jpg

IMG_20200312_191702.jpg

IMG_20200312_191702.dng

Was this star the brightest thing in the sky early on in the evening? I would guess you might have been looking at Venus and that the compass on your phone needs calibrating so the star map is pointing in the wrong direction. 

Yes it was the brightest thing in the sky in the evening.

In fact, before I looked at this object, I saw a different star in the sky from another room, very bright. When I pointed the map towards it, it displayed Venus and Uranus, so perhaps this was venus but my compass was just broken (highly likely). Thanks this should be closed now.