Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2021 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

39 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Hi Derek,

At lesleys just now, all booked up thought we had when we were down last time sounds as if it's filling quick again, see you all Oct 

P's Ian saw you at the Newton Stewart roundabout today, I guess your heading across the water,safetrip.

Was that you Coming from Newtonstewart, that I pulled out in front of😂. Had to stop off at the gin distillery “Hills & Harbour” to get more anaesthetic for Liz😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamie56 said:

Hi Derek,

At lesleys just now, all booked up thought we had when we were down last time sounds as if it's filling quick again, see you all Oct 

P's Ian saw you at the Newton Stewart roundabout today, I guess your heading across the water,safetrip.

Hi Jim,

I could not understand you last night or I miss interpreted what you were saying. I did not realise you were going down to the camp site. I thought you were talking about the last time you were down there.

Anyway glad you and Dawn are there and hope the weather abates a wee bit. Can't have the whisky being blown out of your hand Ehh!

I am glad you are booked for the Spring do. On less thing to worry about. Obviously you are one of the 5 bookings then. 🙂

If Kenny is there ask him to PM me please. Nothing important but just want to clear up a point.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Derek

• Like 1

Hi guys Not seen him is  he in one of the statics? I'll Check with lesley in the morning but she never mentitled anything when we got here, no whisky Derek that's too keep the cold out 😨😨😨

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Mike, how you doing buddy,  you got that obsy built yet?  All this lovely clear skies we've been having, it's cloudy here but last time we came down the sky was just amazing, looking forward to catching up with you all soon, take it easy will call you next week.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Was that you Coming from Newtonstewart, that I pulled out in front of😂. Had to stop off at the gin distillery “Hills & Harbour” to get more anaesthetic for Liz😂😂

Yep  sure was thought you were heading to  camp but turned into craft booze thingy, no sign of Kenny both statics in darkness, enjoy your break Ian hope to see you all soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Derek, Yea skies were cristal clear, no gear down though, was gonna pop round to see Kenny last night but never cos of this covid thing, seen him this morning before we split,  it's very strange on the site trying to keep distance and all, still hopefully restrictions eased a bit more by Oct,  spoke with Mike today but kept loosing signal gonna call him mid week, speak soon .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

Forgot to mention I've booked 9th to 16th. Hopefully Cardiff won't go into lock down just prior to this and I'll be able to make it this time!!

I hope none of us is in Lock Down and we can all make it !!! 🤔

This word correction thing is painful !

It is taking me ages to write a few words. May be I should write in Chinese and see the outcome! 😂

Stay safe.

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I'm struggling lately with the editor sometimes underlining words? 

Well well Damian ! Are you being rude then? 🤣

中文

But I do get your point. It has become a bit of a pain in the rear end to me. We should have the option to switch it off really. Mind you I don't mind the highlighting as my spelling can be abysmal at times. It depends upon how tired I am.

Edited by Physopto
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I would just like to say to everyone wishing to attend the 2021 Spring Scottish Galloway Star Camp

and all those here on Stargazers Lounge:

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year or should I say  Happy Hogmanay for 2021.

Let's hope for a brighter future in the new year.

Oh blow !   I forgot the auto correct:

新年快乐 / 新年快樂

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

For everyone either booked, or wishing to attend the

Scottish Spring 2021 Star Camp please read below carefully.

As we all know, the past year has been a disaster for us all, for some more than most.

I was going to post and advise those hiring a Campervan for this Spring Event to make sure this

time that you could get a refund if the worst came to the worst.

Unfortunately, this was becoming a distant dream in my mind lately.

We were very lucky in that the 2020 Scottish Autumn Star Camp at Drumroamin was able to proceed

and I think I can say it was a limited success given the Covid-19 restrictions that were in place.

I have been monitoring the Covid-19 infection statics over the whole of Great Britain carefully during the last few weeks

and

was wishing to be able to continue if at all possible, with the 2021 Spring Star Camp.

The massive rise in Covid-19 infections due to the more virulent strain spreading

over the whole of our nation has put an end to my and many other people's hopes.

I have spoken with the camp site owner at some length and it was becoming inevitable that it may

not go ahead due to the Tier 4 Restrictions in Scotland as well as Tier 4 Restrictions over most of the rest of the UK.

( Lesley is at present unable to open the Holiday Park at least until April 2021)

The latest Covid -19 Lock Down, with the announcement of "expectations of it continuing for

7 weeks in England" and the possibility of the same in Scotland and Wales,

is the final "Nail in the Coffin" so to speak.

So, it is with a heavy heart I have to announce that:

The Spring 2021 Scottish Star Camp has had to be cancelled.

The announcements that the Pfizer-BioNTech and Astro-Zenica Vaccines have arrived

and are being rolled out gives us all some hope for the future.

The Governments intentions are that vaccinations will possibly be completed for the over 70’s and most

vulnerable members of our population by the middle of March, has possibly, to be taken with a large pinch of salt!

As we all know with Astronomy, things rarely go to plan!

Regardless, that still means that the great majority/remainder of the population will still not get their first treatment of the 2 inoculations

for many months after March. Those getting the first inoculation are now being advised that the second will be 3 months later.

So, initially more people inoculated followed by a slowing down as later inoculations cannot proceed until the second/booster inoculation has to be given to the first people inoculated 3 months previously.

Pfizer have expressed concern about this 3 month period for their product as they say "it has not been tested or proved to work". (only tested at 3 weeks I believe).

Astro-Zenica seem happy with the alteration to the timing thank goodness.

The  Pfizer-BioNTech  delay may come back to bite the Government in the behind, I hope not!

Bearing this all in mind, it sorts of negates any thoughts I had of an Interim Star Camp (which I had been hoping to inaugurate) sometime in late March or April.

In conclusion,

I am hoping that we are all fully inoculated and safe before next September.

Please note the next Scottish Star Camp will the Autumn 2021 Event.

Check that here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/348960-2021-autumn-galloway-star-camp/

Stay Safe and

Regards to all,

Edited by Physopto
  • Sad 5

Thanks for the heads up and whilst this makes me so dissapointed best to do it now.

I think it must be me that is the jinx here, I have never been on a star camp and hired a mobile home for the SGL one that was flooded out, never got any money back for that but I have spoke to the hire place for this one (ot the same one) and looks like because it is a few weeks away I may get most of my money back so many thanks for letting us know in good time.

Lets hope the back end of 2021 brings us all more luck, take care all and stay safe ad hope to meet up with some of you in the near future 🙂 

Steve

50 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks for the heads up and whilst this makes me so dissapointed best to do it now.

I think it must be me that is the jinx here, I have never been on a star camp and hired a mobile home for the SGL one that was flooded out, never got any money back for that but I have spoke to the hire place for this one (ot the same one) and looks like because it is a few weeks away I may get most of my money back so many thanks for letting us know in good time.

Lets hope the back end of 2021 brings us all more luck, take care all and stay safe ad hope to meet up with some of you in the near future 🙂 

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry that you have been caught out. Until just a few days ago there was a chance that we could go ahead with the star camp. But as you know things are getting worse by the minute compared to a year ago almost, when all this kicked off. This new variant is accelerating things to a new level. I was hoping I could wait a week or two more before taking the decission, but the pace of the virus spread has decimated that idea.

I did hope that I had given enough time to everyone to not get caught out by the cancellation in any way. I can only say in future those needing to hire a vehicle should all try to leave the hiring until a later date, i.e. closer to the star camp start date. Or specify that for this type of reason we can legally get  a refund. To be quite honest you may well find that you are entitled to a refund under these exigent circumstances.

Keep well and I hope to see you in the autumn.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry that you have been caught out. Until just a few days ago there was a chance that we could go ahead with the star camp. But as you know things are getting worse by the minute compared to a year ago almost, when all this kicked off. This new variant is accelerating things to a new level. I was hoping I could wait a week or two more before taking the decission, but the pace of the virus spread has decimated that idea.

I did hope that I had given enough time to everyone to not get caught out by the cancellation in any way. I can only say in future those needing to hire a vehicle should all try to leave the hiring until a later date, i.e. closer to the star camp start date. Or specify that for this type of reason we can legally get  a refund. To be quite honest you may well find that you are entitled to a refund under these exigent circumstances.

Keep well and I hope to see you in the autumn.

Hi Derek,

Sorry, maybe you misunderstood my post, I am waiting a final reply but I spoke to the owner of the business (a family business) and I WILL get most, if not all of my money back. I may have to forgo a small deposit but hopefully okay.

It was the flooded out SGL one I could not get anything back but to be fair that was a flood and we only new about the cancellation shortly before the event and that was from a private renter.

So I am really grateful for your forward thinking.

I did think of just postoning the booking until Autumn but I think it is booke dup and I have not booked yet.

Thanks though and hopefully will meet up one day 🙂 

Steve

Some companies do still offer great service and within a hour I have been offered a FULL refund for the Motor Home I hired.

This is one company I will certainly use again.

Once again @Physopto many thanks for the early notification of the cancellation, still sad not to be going though.

image.png.31e6389fb8d37508d50ea156ff4531a3.png

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Derek,

Thanks for letting me know about the cancellation. Not an easy decision to take but a necessary one, given the current situation.

Its not good that Drumroamin will not be permitted to open until at least April😮. I feel for Leslie, Ralf and other business owners across the British Isles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Some companies do still offer great service and within a hour I have been offered a FULL refund for the Motor Home I hired.

This is one company I will certainly use again.

Once again @Physopto many thanks for the early notification of the cancellation, still sad not to be going though.

image.png.31e6389fb8d37508d50ea156ff4531a3.png

Steve

Well that is a weight off my mind 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update Derek.

A real shame that this has had to be cancelled but understandable in the current situation with the rate of covid infections increasing the way it is. 

Hopefully things will quickly get back to normal over the summer and we can all enjoy the dark skies of galloway. 

• Like 4