Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2021 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi everyone.

I have the pleasure of announcing the dates for:-

Scotland's Premier Star Camp during the Spring of 2021 (March).

The Star Camp will be held at Drumroamin Camp Site as usual.

Between the Thursday 11th and Tuesday the 16th.

I am now and in future basing the Star Camp dates centred around the New Moon.

This is to encompass the best chance for the darkest possible nights.

These dates still and will always contain a weekend so hopefully most can attend if at work during the week days.

(The New Moon is on Saturday the 13th March which is good news for those who can only attend over a weekend)

Moon Phases for March 2021  in Kirkinner, Newton Stewart DG8 9AW, UK.

New Moon March 2021

Moon phase details for Saturday, March 13, 2021

• Moon Phase: New Moon - 10:23:32 ?

• Illumination: 0%

• Moon Age: 0.34 days

• Moon Angle: 0.5

• Moon Distance: 397,701.261 km

• Moonrise: 07:21:20

• Moonset: 18:24:49

• Sun Angle: 0.54

• Sun Distance: 148,740,579.254 km

• Sunrise: 06:41:41

• Golden Hour Ends: 07:29:51

• Sunset: 18:16:15

• Golden Hour Starts: 17:28:05

• Length of day: 11h 34m 34s

The important detail here is the time that the Moon sets and rises.

In this year 2021 and month the moon sets in the evening and rises in the morning. This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them.

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!

Best wishes

Derek

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

I bought this 'van before CV19 arrived. Glad I did. The object being I can use it for the star parties as well as for the Field Archery competitions. 2 Berth with a proper galley, loo & shower.

This will be the first one I have been able to attend.

I have also put together a travel pack of astro kit to take with me based on using the iOptron CEM 25P mount onto which can now mount a Williams Optics 50mm Whitecat,  SW 127 Mak and an Altair 70 mmED.

BC1.JPG

BC2.JPG

BC3.JPG

• Like 4

I am not decided yet, need to check the dates anyway, but if I go this would be my first star camp, as the last SGL was cancelled, so not sure exactly what to do.

I hope you don't mind a Newbie.

Can somebody give me some more info ?

I assume you contact the campsite directly, are there electric hook ups ? At the moment not sure what I would be doing. If my funds allow I would like to hire a camper van for the week, but otherwise will just bring car and a tent so wondered if I can book a pitch suitable for either or have to specify at time of booking.

Is the whole campsite for astronomers or just certain fields ?

Sorry for so many questions but would love to start attending these gatherings 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2

You contact the site directly quoting the fact that you are for the star party for which the whole campsite is reserved usually. All pitches are EHU.

Im hopefully hiring a camper/ motor home for the October camp and spoke to Lesley at the site. It’s the same price as a tent, all pitches accommodate vans and tents and she welcomes them......better than roughing it!!

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2020 at 09:27, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I am not decided yet, need to check the dates anyway, but if I go this would be my star camp, as the last SGL was cancelled, so not sure exactly what to do.

I hope you don't mind a Newbie.

Can somebody give me some more info ?

I assume you contact the campsite directly, are there electric hook ups ? At the moment not sure what I would be doing. If my funds allow I would like to hire a camper van for the week, but otherwise will just bring car and a tent so wondered if I can book a pitch suitable for either or have to specify at time of booking.

Is the whole campsite for astronomers or just certain fields ?

Sorry for so many questions but would love to start attending these gatherings 🙂 

Steve

Hi Steve,

As stated all pitches have electric power. Some are 10 amp and some are 16 amp.

We don't mind if you are an absolute beginner at all. Everyone is welcome. Yes, the Star Camp field is only for astronomy during the dates specified. If you book up earlier then the general  public will/can be present, but during the specified Star Camp  dates there are only those booked for the Star Camp allowed. If you want to stay longer and have booked then the general public are allowed back onto the site. Many of us do stay either before or after the dates of the Star Camp with out any problems.

As to Motorhomes, quite a few members use them. The only caveat is that if the field is very wet you may be restricted to the Hard Standing area as the field can be damaged by the weight of a motorhome.

As stated in the introduction,

(As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking! )

YOU ALWAYS and CAN ONLY BOOK with the SITE OWNER.

Hope to see you there.

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 2

I have booked, looking forward to it. I hope at least the current situation has improved by then.

I have been into astronomy for around 3 years now but still consider myself a newbie, I have been  imaging for a year + but still learning. 

I more consider myself a newbie to star parties and generally interacting with other astronomers. I am not normally one to interact with others in any hobby I have done in the past  but really want to meet others on SGL I have spoken to albeit just electronically in the past.

Anyway it is booked now so see you then 🙂 

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is too early to say what numbers will be allowed onsite during this  March 2021 Galloway Star Party due to any Covid restrictions, if any still apply !

I will keep you all appraised as and when I get any information about it.

But as we are still seemingly being plagued by this pandemic I am at present working on the assumption that the number of places will be 25 Pitches the same as at present.

So please bear this in mind and BOOK YOUR PITCHES EARLY TO AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT !!!

Once these 25 places are booked no more will be available unless things change.

We can only hope.

Please bring masks and hand sanitizer for your and everyone's safety 😷😷😷😷😷😷😷

Stay safe.

Derek

• Thanks 2

I am now looking into maybe hiring a small campervan for the duration of the Starcamp. I think it will be better for my old bones rather than a tent 🙂 

I thought it might be easier to hire one closer to the campsite rather than local to me because usually the pickup times are in afternoon and drop off times around 10 am, meaning I would be getting there late and in dark and would have to leave very early as I have a good 5 hour drive. Other option is to pay for 2 extra days hire.

So to the point does anyone know of such a campervan hire place near the campsite or at least on the way from Yorkshire to west Scotland ?

steve

I don't know of any, but a web search should find a suitable business in the area. I would look around Dumfries or Carlisle. Dumfrise is easier to get in and out of I would think and so much closer to the star camp area.

Derek

• Like 1

!!!!!!!   OK folks  !!!!!!!

Just off the telephone with Lesley, the site owner.

At present no problems bar Covid restrictions already in place for this Autumn Galloway Star Camp.

So looking forwards to this, the Spring 2021 Star Camp !!

Pitch limit will at remain at 25 pitches maximum and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

So, for this Spring Star Camp at least 5 pitches already booked (about 20 or less left !!!)

Book early or be disappointed !!!

At this juncture the Camp site in good condition.

Nothing more to report.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Sorry to sound silly but do these dates include the night of 16th march or is it pack up and go 16th ?

Steve

1st night is the 11th.  Each star camp usually lasts 5 nights, so many will be leaving on the 16th.  Some can only get there for a day or two. We always try to ensure that a weekend is incorporated so as to allow those with work related commitments.

Lately, I have stopped starting the Star Camp religiously on a Wednesday and finishing on a Sunday as many Star Camps do. The reason for this is, I am trying to centre the camp dates  around the NEW MOON. Hence the different start and finish week days from star camp to star camp.

Problems may arise if a new moon is on say a Wednesday, then if I stuck to centralisation  some might miss out on a weekend,  the only time they could get to the camp. In that case I would look at moon rise and set times to adjust the start and finish dates as best I could to allow everyone the best chance.

But bear in mind you can if you arrange it with the site owner stay before, after or both if the space is there and no other people have previously booked. We have a special arrangement with Lesley, in that we get up to 25 pitches available. The general public are limited to 15 pitches only. This is simply because we have been holding The Premier Scottish Star Camp there for the last 10 plus years! Also generally we are either in single numbers per pitch or at most 3 persons, infrequently. So it has a lot to do with total number of people on pitches, (aggregated), on the campsite.

Derek

Edited by Physopto
tidying up
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Sorry to sound silly but do these dates include the night of 16th march or is it pack up and go 16th ?

Steve

Hi Steve

Lesley is o.k. with stays longer than the stated dates. I've booked the 9th to the 16th but if the weather is conducive to clear skies on the 16th I'll stay and make the most of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Derek,

At lesleys just now, all booked up thought we had when we were down last time sounds as if it's filling quick again, see you all Oct 

P's Ian saw you at the Newton Stewart roundabout today, I guess your heading across the water,safetrip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1