Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best for 20 years........

chiltonstar

Worth noting the close conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter at the end of twilight on December 21st 2020, Winter Solstice (that must be one for the astro*****s!) They are 0.1 degrees apart, the closest for 20 years or so and close enough to get in the same high power FoV, complete with moons galore. This is a SkySafari simulation:-

Chris

Screenshot_20200131-090242_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

Thanks Chris - I'll mark that one on the calendar :icon_biggrin:

Quite low in the sky in Capricorn so it will be worth observing this from my society observatory where the horizon is much less cluttered than it is at home.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Chris. I noted that one whilst perusing Skysafari a few weeks back. Would you mind creating an entry in the Celestial Events Calendar? Happy to do it if you are not sure how.

If you could do it please Stu - many thanks! I always look down the S&T SkyGazers Almanac to find interesting events for the year, and then look them up on SS.

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I am still getting my bearings when it comes to altitude, Are they going to be much higher placed in the Sky this December compared to last year?

Baz

Not really, they will be rather low again I'm afraid.

This is how Stellarium shows it for 16:30 hrs on the 21 December for my lattitude:

stellarium-000.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

If you could do it please Stu - many thanks! I always look down the S&T SkyGazers Almanac to find interesting events for the year, and then look them up on SS.

Chris

Will do Chris.

Do you have a link to the Almanac, might get one myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Chris

Looks like I already did! Had forgotten.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks Chris. I noted that one whilst perusing Skysafari a few weeks back. Would you mind creating an entry in the Celestial Events Calendar? Happy to do it if you are not sure how.

Wait... there is a Celestial Events Calendar on this site? Where can I find it?

31 minutes ago, John said:

Not really, they will be rather low again I'm afraid.

This is how Stellarium shows it for 16:30 hrs on the 21 December for my lattitude:

Thanks John, still fairly low then but amazing to look at never the less. Is the Stellarium desk top version a free download? That looks very informative.

Baz

31 minutes ago, John said:

stellarium-000.png

12 minutes ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Wait... there is a Celestial Events Calendar on this site? Where can I find it?

Here you go!

https://stargazerslounge.com/calendar/4-celestial-events/

Feel free to add anything you think is worth watching out for. The calendar automatically creates a thread for discussion in the Celestial events forum as the event approaches, so it is actually best to create the event rather than a thread in the forum first.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Here you go!

https://stargazerslounge.com/calendar/4-celestial-events/

Feel free to add anything you think is worth watching out for. The calendar automatically creates a thread for discussion in the Celestial events forum as the event approaches, so it is actually best to create the event rather than a thread in the forum first.

This community is really great... endless amount of information and friendly people willing to give great advice. LOVE IT!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks like I already did! Had forgotten.

From the January edition of S&T - great chart! Is this the one you have?

I can copy it maybe if it doesn't cause a copyright issue.....

If you use a goto or setting circles, you could catch  Saturn and Jupiter higher in the sky maybe - the seeing and detail are often better IMO?

Chris

4 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

From the January edition of S&T - great chart! Is this the one you have?

I can copy it maybe if it doesn't cause a copyright issue.....

If you use a goto or setting circles, you could catch  Saturn and Jupiter higher in the sky maybe - the seeing and detail are often better IMO?

Chris

I'll see if I can pick up a copy Chris, thanks. Better not copy for copyright reasons.

23 hours ago, JamesF said:

I think that's sorted the weather forecast for 21/12/2020 then :)

I shall also put it in my diary, as I'd not want to miss not being able to see it.

James

The "gallows" humour of an astronomer 🙂 essential when based in the UK especially!

• Like 1