NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If I was in your shoes and looking for a sensibly priced scope for AP but with a bit of visual. Then I would look for a tried and tested and well thought of AP scope the SW ed80. These scopes seem to be great for AP and come up for sensible money second hand. 

I hope this helps 🔭

The old ‘if it’s too good to be true’ I think applies. A quadruplet for £395 suggests there are cost cuttings somewhere. 

Not always the case and it may just be the bargain of the century - I mean it is advertised as being able to file views which is pretty awesome :).  Could have a great bug laser on it! 

I note it is only claimed to be achromatic, rather than apochromatic. They note "markedly reduced false colour", which has alarm bells ringing. I would indeed go for something like the SW 80ED, with focal reducer. I myself have an APM 80mm F/6 triplet with TeleVue TRF2008 0.8x reducer which works nicely.

The EQ 6 you have is a more than adequate mount for AP, of course.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Another vote for a second hand ED80. You can get one with a focal reducer for the same price as the new opticstar, and it will be far better for imaging, perhaps even visual.

Or you can get a cheap and cheerful 130PDS.

Pass on the newt have a 6" to play with

Yes indeed a Rorex watch or Gribson Len Pool guitar springs to mind - seen both of those in the far east! Michael noticed the achromatic construction and I missed that at first. I personally wouldn't buy that one.

Edited by TerryMcK

16 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

All that aside, i'm certainly impressed with the website.

Very well presented with all the info right there.

I was just drooling over the 90mm Coranado's.........

Not on that site, but they do make some smaller ed scopes with decent glass, and some of there lenses seem pretty good

Ermm intresting, yes it doesnt have a well known branded name, so whoe's to say?

I have an 80mm f5 of theirs, its well built and solid, enven the lens cap is metal and screws onto the dew sheild

Edited by Frank the Troll

Can I just mention that if your getting into AP then you will find that you will not want to remove the camera from the scope if possible and you may end up using another scope for visual.

Removal of the camera will mean you will have to take new flats and if you go back to a project the images will not be aligned 100% so you will loose some of the fov when stacked.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spillage said:

Can I just mention that if your getting into AP then you will find that you will not want to remove the camera from the scope if possible and you may end up using another scope for visual.

Removal of the camera will mean you will have to take new flats and if you go back to a project the images will not be aligned 100% so you will loose some of the fov when stacked.

It seems a camera can be attached to the carry handle

42 minutes ago, spillage said:

Surely even just rotating the focuser would require new flats as would rotating the camera in the focuser as any dust spots and other imperfections on the filters and objective would not line up with any previous flats?

I was of the impression for best results you should take flats for every imaging session accordingly. Happy to be corrected - would save me a task!

• Like 1

Interesting scope.  It's an achromatic Petzval design at 127mm.  I don't think I've ever seen that implemented before.  It's sort of an achromatic take on the Tele Vue NP127is for about 6% of the price.  The biggest issue with it will be the false color.  It should be flat field if it was designed and implemented correctly.  If you shoot narrow band images, the false color shouldn't be an issue.  The single speed focuser might become an issue at f/4.9 when trying to achieve best focus.

6 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I note it is only claimed to be achromatic, rather than apochromatic. They note "markedly reduced false colour", which has alarm bells ringing. I would indeed go for something like the SW 80ED, with focal reducer. I myself have an APM 80mm F/6 triplet with TeleVue TRF2008 0.8x reducer which works nicely.

The EQ 6 you have is a more than adequate mount for AP, of course.

Frank

Would definitely go for ED80 or even ED100 these days

I have an ED80 on EQ5pro mount, and also use same mount for my SolarMax 11

Attached pic taken at recent club solar viewing day of my ED80

In background is another ED80 on an HEQ5 mount, camera fitted

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Edited by cletrac1922