NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Robert Brown Arduino dew controller build, step by step

JamesF

11 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

Mark how do you tell the type of chipset you have/need for the display unit?

I used one of these lcd 2004 i2c see Youmile IIC/I2C/TWI Serial 2004 20x4 LCD Module Shield: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics as an example and works with roberts code albeit mine came from AZ Delivery if you type into Amazon or other supplier "LCD 2004 i2c" beware you can buy just the lcd panel without the i2c module

13 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Don’t forget to set the correct lcd address in the code. You may need to find an lcd detect code example online in order to find out what it is.

I did'nt have to change the hex address for mine just worked you just need the i2c scanner to upload to the nano then run it and monitor via the terminal in the arduino app

Thanks for that guys really appreciate it.

I thought I had the wrong address as the display lit up but was blank with no characters! Tested with the i2c scanner and it reported 0x27 so looked elsewhere. Small twist of the pot on the i2c board and presto the characters appeared! Was just set too high!

Still waiting for some bits but progress has been made

Thanks again

16067733660496868531287783444019.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CedricTheBrave said:

Thanks for that guys really appreciate it.

I thought I had the wrong address as the display lit up but was blank with no characters! Tested with the i2c scanner and it reported 0x27 so looked elsewhere. Small twist of the pot on the i2c board and presto the characters appeared! Was just set too high!

Still waiting for some bits but progress has been made

Thanks again

16067733660496868531287783444019.jpg

forgot about the pesky little blue thingy with a crosshead to adjust the brightness (pot)

• Haha 1

I have followed this thread for a short time having discovered it while searching for DIY dew heater controllers. Living in a mild/cool marine climate (Vancouver Island, BC) dew is a major factor once the few weeks of summer (almost) heat is done.  I recently upgraded my astrophoto gear from a barndoor tracker with my mirrorless camera to an actual goto mount and an apo refractor and dew has become an issue I am contending with. (not an issue in the summer, but time passed while I waited for supplies of mounts, scopes, etc. to appear and fill backlogged orders)

From fiddling in the Arduino world for a while and finishing a number of projects I have many of the components to assemble the heater.  Before I start I thought I'd ask if anybody here has a spare PCB board they would be kind enough to sell me. I would of course cover your costs.

Dave

2 minutes ago, DaveSw said:

I have followed this thread for a short time having discovered it while searching for DIY dew heater controllers. Living in a mild/cool marine climate (Vancouver Island, BC) dew is a major factor once the few weeks of summer (almost) heat is done.  I recently upgraded my astrophoto gear from a barndoor tracker with my mirrorless camera to an actual goto mount and an apo refractor and dew has become an issue I am contending with. (not an issue in the summer, but time passed while I waited for supplies of mounts, scopes, etc. to appear and fill backlogged orders)

From fiddling in the Arduino world for a while and finishing a number of projects I have many of the components to assemble the heater.  Before I start I thought I'd ask if anybody here has a spare PCB board they would be kind enough to sell me. I would of course cover your costs.

Dave

I could send you one if you PM me your address to cover postage would there be any import tax charges?  

• 2 weeks later...

That's why I don't use the pins\sockets, as I find them unreliable, and depending on their source, can even rust over time..... 

And as some components are already being soldered e.g. switches, power inputs etc. I'll just 'hard wire' everything.

just about done mine now vey impressed with its performance, had the sensors sat in a jug of ice for a few hours and watched the temp etc all works all good

one question is where do you site the sensors?

I have a sw200pds and usually i have one heater wrapped around the guide scope and another round the base of the main tube 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anybody is still following this thread or not... I decided to build Robert's ESP32 controller instead as I had the appropriate ESP32 sitting in the parts box unused. While awaiting the final few parts I'm working on designing the component layout for the box enclosure. I'm using a box from Amazon rather than a 3D printed one like JamesF showed at the start of this thread. 

In light of this I was wonder if anybody has pictures of their completed units they can post?

I do have a few of the ESP32 Rev06 boards available if anyone is interested.  I am in Canada (on the left, wet coast). Keep this in mind - it turned out to be cheaper for me to order boards than pay the shipping/fees for someone to send me a single board from Europe.

Dave

Mention was made by fozzybear that the Linux version of the Arduino Dew Controller software runs on Astroberry/Stellarmate (Rasp. Pi).  I was wondering if anybody has appropriately compiled the ESP32 version yet to run on the Pi?

(I'm not from the world of software development so have minimal familiarity of what's required to properly compile the Linux version for the Pi. But, that said, I can usually follow directions if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm retired with time to "experiment" [not what my wife would term it])

Dave

16 hours ago, DaveSw said:

Mention was made by fozzybear that the Linux version of the Arduino Dew Controller software runs on Astroberry/Stellarmate (Rasp. Pi).  I was wondering if anybody has appropriately compiled the ESP32 version yet to run on the Pi?

(I'm not from the world of software development so have minimal familiarity of what's required to properly compile the Linux version for the Pi. But, that said, I can usually follow directions if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm retired with time to "experiment" [not what my wife would term it])

Dave

Dave.

Is it this one that you are looking at https://sourceforge.net/projects/esp32-dew-controller/files/

I will have a go at compiling it for the RPI and let Robert know if successful