Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Venus.

I would like to know if there is a website that shows the current phases of Venus. 

Last night I setup my refractor to observe Venus. The planet was quite low. The view showed lots of scattered light. I think that the disc was approx three quarters phase. It was differcult to resolve. Is this normal? 

Thanks. 

Martin

Edited by Guest
Add text.

6 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

It was differcult to resolve. Is this normal?

The fuller the phase, the more difficult I've found to observe Venus clearly. (This is just relating my experience, not explaining anything... :rolleyes2:).

I've always been able to get a nice crescent phase to give a decent image. Never any real planetary detail, though - but don't give up on my account. :happy11:

29 minutes ago, iPeace said:

The fuller the phase, the more difficult I've found to observe Venus clearly. (This is just relating my experience, not explaining anything... :rolleyes2:).

I've always been able to get a nice crescent phase to give a decent image. Never any real planetary detail, though - but don't give up on my account. :happy11:

I tend to agree with that, no idea why as it is actually brighter when it is a crescent.

This is my best smartphone shot of Venus. I've never seen any surface detail on it at all, although others have successfully. Looks like it will be showing a crescent phase in late April/early May next year.

IMG_9512.JPG.055bf5ecd7a68bb424d378bf86387d5e.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried Venus a few days ago after dark for the first time in a while and it was a mushy flaring blob. I was a bit disappointed but am relieved to read that it's not just me seeing this!

My best views previously have been in daylight.

It was a pleasure to view during the day after my solar session early in the afternoon. 

Edit: To be clear, I used my goto scope to achieve this and left the Herschel wedge fitted until I was sure that the sun was not still in the FOV before swapping the wedge for the star diagonal.

The phase was lovely and clear, though I tried again later and found it much more difficult to get a pleasing view after sunset. 

Edited by AdeKing
Added details after reading Ibbo's post below.

I tried Venus two evenings ago and had a lot of difficulty as well.

Low on the horizon and unbelievably brilliant.

I have only some basic filters. What would be the best when trying to image Venus? Everything I've done so far is very poor.

I'm not sure as regards imaging, but visually Wrattan 11 (yellow) is popular. I've found that blue 80A works well too. Something I have noticed several times in the past, is that filters somehow seem to reduce the effects of atmospheric turbulence. (Not sure why that would be). I generally try to observe Venus while its still set against a blue sky. Once the sky creates a dark background the planet can be difficult. Also, the higher the better, as when close to the horizon you're looking through miles of turbulent atmosphere, making it a difficult target at any phase.

As Venus approaches us and the phase becomes a thinner and thinner crescent, its challenging but great fun to try and follow it until its as close to new as possible. 

58c97d6784afa_2017-03-0814_25_48.jpg.b45d043895460d0bcc2b0ee47c152f38.jpg.4ddc907669c0fe642e3c021e35973075.jpg58c97da3c1fc0_2017-03-0814_28_33.jpg.d6ecd85fd35cd9fca93b874cafe81075.jpg.46555b964580dbe62386d8a650418954.jpg58d45cdc738d8_2017-03-2323_11_15.jpg.03fe2ee771b3338a514e261e0e3fcd8a.thumb.jpg.ecc20614b18db10ed0dd5e8fee692e95.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight

You of course have to be very careful doing this while the sun is above the horizon,.

I have a fixed setup so I can use goto but even so I always check the sun is not in the FOV while doing this using a solar filter and a the camera.

NO HUNTING BE VERY CAREFUL.

another trick is to use a wall to block the sun

I managed this run in March 2017.

FS 102 and Blacfly cam

Venus-March-2017.thumb.png.4cdffcc97872a4c512c9dbf8feb7d5e6.png

And this in 2018

WO 132 and Chameleon cam

Venus-Oct-2018.png.aacd2162581636747c6b681cccb83983.png

This year I would like to get venus over a longer period of time and with more f/l.

I also have another filter on the way.

• Like 1