Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

Hi all, I've been quite for a while. Hope everyone is safe and keeping well.

I've been trying to work out if i can make it to this year's event, but unfortunately it falls on the weekend of my daughter's 10th birthday, so i'm not going to be able to come. So i'm aiming for the spring one instead - is that one in March?

Hi Lee,

Yes, the Spring Star Camp is in March, please see under :-

Star Parties & Astro Events

and then goto

2021 Spring Galloway Star Camp

You would not have been able to attend the upcoming Autumn event anyway as it is fully booked. We are limited to 25 pitches due to the Covid restrictions at present.

Please book early as I expect  the camp pitches will fill very quickly, some pitches are already booked !!

We have had to turn away some members for the present upcoming Autumn Star Camp  as they were too late in attempting a booking !!!

You must book directly with the Camp Site Owner Lesley. Please leave your full name and SGL name, with the number of pitches needed. This is so we can ensure there are no mix ups.

I do suggest strongly that you read all through the present Autumn posts before this one,  so as to ensure you fully understand what is happening due to present COVID RESTRICTIONS !

You will be very welcome to joint us all, I look forwards to meeting you.

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 1

Well just under the 3 month point now to the start of the Star Camp. For those attending on the Sunday before the start it's 11 weeks to go.

With the increase in Covid around the world at present we will just have to hope we are OK.

I see that in Spain Covid is on the increase, enough for our Government to now insist on those returning to go into 14 days isolation.

So let's hope Scotland remains open to visitors and travel in the future and Covid is kept at a low level or is almost eliminated (OK a big hope there ! )

Keep safe,

Derek

• Like 6

7 hours ago, james123 said:

Yeah hopefully it will be ok derek.really looking forward to the camp

Same here, it has been a long difficult year so far. Hopefully your ankle will be completely  healed  by the start of the Star Camp and you are fighting fit. In the meantime I just hope Dawn is doing her wifely duties, bringing you your whisky and a slipper.......🥃🥃🥃🌌🔭🤣

Derek

On 26/07/2020 at 11:20, Physopto said:

Well just under the 3 month point now to the start of the Star Camp. For those attending on the Sunday before the start it's 11 weeks to go.

With the increase in Covid around the world at present we will just have to hope we are OK.

I see that in Spain Covid is on the increase, enough for our Government to now insist on those returning to go into 14 days isolation.

So let's hope Scotland remains open to visitors and travel in the future and Covid is kept at a low level or is almost eliminated (OK a big hope there ! )

Keep safe,

Derek

I hope we can avoid a 2nd wave of COVID 19 infections too.  A friend and I have booked in for this...

On 22/07/2020 at 19:20, mapstar said:

Just booked a caravan near Castle Douglas for a few nights away at the end of July.

Mainly just sight seeing and walking in the area and conquering Merrick as we failed due to the storm Ellen last time!! 

Our booking was cancelled by the owner yesterday 🤔. Disappointing at this late hour but may have something else lined up but much further up in Ayrshire. 

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, petevasey said:

I'm not going this year (date clash) but am booked for March 2021.  So a) I hope everything goes well for you all, and b) I've just been sent some info from the Oxford study which is heartening news for the future and better safety now, Vaccine Progress and Use of Masks.

Keep well,

Peter

Hi Peter,

My wife read that report a day or so ago. It is good news for us if it works!

As for masks we have been wearing them from the start. I found two old wood working masks in the garage and sterilised them in 99.9% pure alcohol. Been using them ever since when leaving the house shopping for food, then resterilising them each time. Common sense told us that something is better than nothing. We still see a lot of people not wearing them, even with a  world of evidence to the contrary.

Arrogance and  stupidity is rife in the UK and apparently not just in the younger generations. Well it is their lives!

Unfortunately it may in some cases and certainly seems affect  or impinge on other peoples chances of catching the virus. The sooner the vaccine is proven to work and is rolled out the better.

It will be nice to meet up at the Spring 2021 Galloway  Star Camp.

Keep well,

Derek

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Our booking was cancelled by the owner yesterday 🤔. Disappointing at this late hour but may have something else lined up but much further up in Ayrshire. 

That is a shame Damian. I expect it may be the reports of the virus rates increasingly  spreading in some parts of the UK.

Maybe try Spain 😱

Derek

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Physopto said:

Same here, it has been a long difficult year so far. Hopefully your ankle will be completely  healed  by the start of the Star Camp and you are fighting fit. In the meantime I just hope Dawn is doing her wifely duties, bringing you your whisky and a slipper.......🥃🥃🥃🌌🔭🤣

Derek

My ankle is fine derek lol. This will be my first camp lol

Edited by james123
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 29/07/2020 at 11:34, Physopto said:

That is a shame Damian. I expect it may be the reports of the virus rates increasingly  spreading in some parts of the UK.

Maybe try Spain 😱

Derek

Managed to book a place near Kilmarnock so will be nice to explore the top end of galloway and ayrshire area. Must've tried booking half a dozen places before we got something. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Managed to book a place near Kilmarnock so will be nice to explore the top end of galloway and ayrshire area. Must've tried booking half a dozen places before we got something. 

Maybe they have heard of you before then Damian......................

🤣

Derek

• Haha 2

On 29/07/2020 at 07:41, Physopto said:

Derek

hi Derek wrong james, you been on the amber stuff again, hehe but ye my ankle is getting there and Dawny is ok too, cheers m8

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

ohhhh no not Kilmarnock, only joking enjoy your break Damian, hope your doing ok.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

I have a good mate that lives in Kilmarnock😁 Hope you both have a good time👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamie56 said:

hi Derek wrong james, you been on the amber stuff again, hehe but ye my ankle is getting there and Dawny is ok too, cheers m8

Oh. Blast🧐 need my glasses 😃

Away to look at a caravan tomorrow.  Getting to be missing the freedom, just to go when we feel like it!

Derek

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 30/07/2020 at 23:12, Physopto said:

Oh. Blast🧐 need my glasses 😃

Away to look at a caravan tomorrow.  Getting to be missing the freedom, just to go when we feel like it!

Derek

yep cant beat it, hope its what your both looking for, i'll keep you right on the heating system🥶

• Haha 1

Finally made it to the summit of Merrick. Started out a bit rainy and the top was obscured but the weather steadily opened up and got better.

1596373171233732288130633545698.thumb.jpg.5cc0d5d7d7dd4ca6c88dc22e175d2ecf.jpg

stunning views back to the lake district. 

• Like 6

Lovely pic 😃  Must be getiing on for 50 years since I was there.  Don't suppose it's changed much 😉  But I do remember being chased off by swarms of biting flies - I hope you weren't treated likewise!

Cheers,

Peter

46 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Finally made it to the summit of Merrick. Started out a bit rainy and the top was obscured but the weather steadily opened up and got better.

1596373171233732288130633545698.thumb.jpg.5cc0d5d7d7dd4ca6c88dc22e175d2ecf.jpg

stunning views back to the lake district. 

Looks to be unusually kind Scottish weather👍, must be because the SP is not on ATM 😮

Edited by Uplooker
Added txt
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Looks to be unusually kind Scottish weather👍, must be because the SP is not on ATM 😮

😱   I  am putting a note in the book about this   🧐

If something happens Ian , we will blame you for that  "tempting providence"  comment !!

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

😱   I  am putting a note in the book about this   🧐

If something happens Ian , we will blame you for that  "tempting providence"  comment !!

Derek

Not inviting the Ides Of March, just stating that a SP was not occurring at the moment in time that Damian ascended a Corbett i.e. Merrick, while enjoying fine bout of Gaelic weather. I am sure Derek, that you are aware that it is a Corbett and not a Monro, as it is only 843m or 2775ft and as such does not reach the threshold of 914m or 3000ft, to allow it to be classed as a Monro😇

Edited by Uplooker
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Not inviting the Ides Of March, just stating that a SP was not occurring at the moment in time that Damian ascended a Corbett i.e. Merrick, while enjoying fine bout of Gaelic weather. I am sure Derek, that you are aware that it is a Corbett and not a Monro, as it is only 843m or 2775ft and as such does not reach the threshold of 914m or 3000ft, to allow it to be classed as a Monro😇

Smarty pants 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Uplooker said:

It was high enough for us especially as we came down the Loch Valley route back. 6hrs of walking arriving back at the carpark at just after half 6.

Thats one boggy walk down the other side!!