SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

On 28/12/2019 at 17:25, Physopto said:

Hello everyone, I have pleasure in announcing the dates for the Autumn 2020 Star Camp below.

The Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020 will be held from Wednesday 14th to the Sunday 18th (inclusive) October.

Some new data for those interested!

Moon Phases for October 2020. See here the moon phases, like the full moon, new moon for october 2020 in Kirkinner, Newton Stewart DG8 9AW, UK.

Full Moon October 2020

Moon phase details for Thursday, October 1, 2020

• Moon Phase: Full Moon - 22:06:55 ↓

• Illumination: 100%

• Moon Age: 14.64 days

• Moon Angle: 0.49

• Moon Distance: 404,141.484 km

• Moonset: 06:28:30

• Moonrise: 19:22:37

• Sun Angle: 0.53

• Sun Distance: 149,712,822.583 km

• Sunrise: 07:19:58

• Golden Hour Ends: 08:08:03

• Sunset: 18:57:57

• Golden Hour Starts: 18:09:51

• Length of day: 11h 37m 59ss

The New Moon is on the Friday 16th October.

We are hoping to once again have the Pie and Peas Night date to suite the attendees,  site owners and prevailing weather, but probably Saturday as on prevoius camps.

Please arrange attendance early with Lesley so as not to be disappointed.

Those wishing to attend early or stay longer can do so by the usual arrangements with Lesley or Ralph  at http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/

I can't promise  do everything as Mike did, but be assured I will answer any queries ASAP and when I become aware of questions.

Best regard to all,

Derek

Definitely interested in this. Missed it last year, think I'll start accruing the necessary camping gear and funds and cross about everything finger and toe going that the weather and Rhona situation is all good

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gliese said:

Hi all, apologies for my ignorance here, but how do I go about booking for the Star Camp (if it can go ahead)? 

I'm a keen stargazer, but due to other commitments just haven't had time to delve in as much as I'd like.  I have just finished my degree in astronomy and planetary science and will hopefully start teaching physics come August pending my final pass.  Would love to make this my first real astronomy event with my poor neglected telescope!

If you read further back you will see all you have to do to attend the Star Camp, is to ring Lesley at the Drumroamin camp site and book with her. It can't be done any other way. I hope to see you at the Star Camp all being well. I am sure you will like the atmosphere and good company. There is a wealth of help and information available from those attending to help you out on most practice levels. I am still hopeful that we will have a Star Camp 😃

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AstroRuz said:

Definitely interested in this. Missed it last year, think I'll start accruing the necessary camping gear and funds and cross about everything finger and toe going that the weather and Rhona situation is all good

We hope to see you at the camp site. (I am editing this as I was attempting to answer you on my phone last night.)

So anyway, I am sure you will not regret attending the Star Camp as we are a friendly crowd. As many can and will attest, the skies are awe inspiring at Drumroamin and it is a very dark area with wide open vistas.

Just be sure that if camping you bring cold weather gear and good boots. You will need a really good tent capable of withstanding bad weather and wind. Don't let this warning put you off. We can go from wind and rain/snow to perfect conditions in a few hours . My first camp there I attended late on just as everyone was leaving. It blew a hoolie. But !  Everyone else had several perfect nights to view/image. The next time we had 7 straight perfect dark nights with fantastically clear night long viewing.

Nobody can control the British weather. 🤣

Derek

Edited by Physopto

I’m considering hiring a small camper van/motor home for this. Just a bit worried about losing the deposit should it not go ahead. I’m wondering if I paid the deposit with a credit card, would the deposit be covered or would we have to continue with the hire and live on the local field for a week??

4 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I’m considering hiring a small camper van/motor home for this. Just a bit worried about losing the deposit should it not go ahead. I’m wondering if I paid the deposit with a credit card, would the deposit be covered or would we have to continue with the hire and live on the local field for a week??

That is something you will have to discuss with the place you hire the van from. At present no one can know what will happen in the future with this Covid pandemic. At present there is still a long way to go before the Star Camp  starts. So all  we can do is await further developements and hope for the best.

Derek

Ok Folks,

Here is the latest update on the:

2020 Autumn Drumroamin Premier Scottish Star Camp.

I have just had a telephone conversation with Lesley Shell the site owner.

The situation at present and I stress, present, is that approximately 18 of the camp site pitches have been taken.

Lesley thinks that if The Scottish Government allows her to open the site up to visitors, that she will have to allow a fairly large spacing between caravans and tents of around one empty pitch.

This will reduce the available pitches to around 25 in total.

At present there are about 7 pitches left to book.

Bookings are  strictly on a first come first get basis!

Having said this, please feel free to ring Lesley up and book pitches that may become available,

if an Covid19 restrictions are even further lifted,

or if someone drops out!

(Please if you cannot attend for any reason let Lesley know ASAP. The pitch then becomes open to the next in line.)

I know that there are some weather watchers out there and cancel pitches at short notice, this affects us all.

If it keeps happening our special arrangement with the site owner may be cancelled.

Lesley very kindly keeps these Star Camp weeks completely free from normal none astronomy visitors for our benefit!

i.e. dark site rules for us to enjoy the skies and less chance of the possible nefarious activities by some of the general public.

Lesley cannot keep losing money each time the weather changes for the worse.

And, don't forget even in poor weather we usually have a great Star Camp with plenty of good and pleasant company. ( Whisky/ey)

It must be remembered that we are still 5 months away from the start of the Star Camp.

A lot can change during this period!

So I am proceeding on the hopeful assumption that we will have:-

The Scottish Star Camp under pristine skies and of course a Pie and Peas Night !

Small print:-

(Subject of course to the "Dual Purpose Dobsonian Pie Measuring Device," being available!)

🤣

So in conclusion if you want to be sure of a place when the Star Camp does get the go ahead,

BOOK EARLY, BOOK NOW!

Be safe, Be well,

Derek

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Damian, Dereks`s bored again ,do you like his new colouring pencils? 🔭

Mike

Aye I've noticed he didn't include that pink/magenta colour this time? He must've run out of that one? 

• Haha 4

At least someone has read the post 🧐?..........I hope !

It is hard to tell if those it is aimed at are actually reading and digesting the message at times. Rather than skimming through bland white script and possibly missing the important bits.

As some one has said Unprecedented Times

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Physopto said:

Ok Folks,

Here is the latest update on the:

2020 Autumn Drumroamin Premier Scottish Star Camp.

I have just had a telephone conversation with Lesley Shell the site owner.

The situation at present and I stress, present, is that approximately 18 of the camp site pitches have been taken.

Lesley thinks that if The Scottish Government allows her to open the site up to visitors, that she will have to allow a fairly large spacing between caravans and tents of around one empty pitch.

This will reduce the available pitches to around 25 in total.

At present there are about 7 pitches left to book.

Bookings are  strictly on a first come first get basis!

Having said this, please feel free to ring Lesley up and book pitches that may become available,

if an Covid19 restrictions are even further lifted,

or if someone drops out!

(Please if you cannot attend for any reason let Lesley know ASAP. The pitch then becomes open to the next in line.)

I know that there are some weather watchers out there and cancel pitches at short notice, this affects us all.

If it keeps happening our special arrangement with the site owner may be cancelled.

Lesley very kindly keeps these Star Camp weeks completely free from normal none astronomy visitors for our benefit!

i.e. dark site rules for us to enjoy the skies and less chance of the possible nefarious activities by some of the general public.

Lesley cannot keep losing money each time the weather changes for the worse.

And, don't forget even in poor weather we usually have a great Star Camp with plenty of good and pleasant company. ( Whisky/ey)

It must be remembered that we are still 5 months away from the start of the Star Camp.

A lot can change during this period!

So I am proceeding on the hopeful assumption that we will have:-

The Scottish Star Camp under pristine skies and of course a Pie and Peas Night !

Small print:-

(Subject of course to the "Dual Purpose Dobsonian Pie Measuring Device," being available!)

🤣

So in conclusion if you want to be sure of a place when the Star Camp does get the go ahead,

BOOK EARLY, BOOK NOW!

Be safe, Be well,

Derek

I need my scope out for the small print

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello All and of course Derek.

Christina will be giving Lesley a call tomorrow regarding GSP Autumn 2020., they seem to been in touch a fair bit via Facebook. Thanks for reminder in the Zoom thread  thingy tonight Derek!

Take care and stay well and safe and hope to see you all in the Autumn!

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - IOM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Everyone.

I have just been informed tonight by Lesley the Galloway Site owner that all 25 pitches are now filled for the next Autumn Star Camp.

But please, if you are interested, just telephone Lesley up to book pitches on the hopeful chance that more may become available if the Scottish Government feel that they can relax the Covid rules further in the future. As I said the camp is still 5 months away as yet and a lot can change in that time! Hopefully for the better 😃

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1