Narrowband

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

Just a thought Ian!

How many Corbett's does it take to make a Monro? 🧐

Or on the other hand, how many Corbett's (as in Rony), does it take to make a Munro?

🤣

A very nice picture Damian, looks like you had a very nice day out, is the view to the East? It's just the horizon is higher on the left of the picture, so I would guess it is going up towards the Scottish border !🧗

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

A very nice picture Damian, looks like you had a very nice day out, is the view to the East? It's just the horizon is higher on the left of the picture, so I would guess it is going up towards the Scottish border !🧗

Derek

It is looking back to the lake district 

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Just a thought Ian!

How many Corbett's does it take to make a Monro? 🧐

Or on the other hand, how many Corbett's (as in Rony), does it take to make a Munro?

🤣

Derek

Two!

• Haha 1

Well the weather has certainly flipped today with rain being a constant companion. It's never let up and must've put 2" down as there is a lot of flooding about.  Good job it's August and not Oct as we'd have been really wet 😂

Lots of driving and very little walking and photos. 

On the positive at least I'm not in my usual accommodation and the heating is tip top 👌. Boots are dry ready for the next ascent. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Well the weather has certainly flipped today with rain being a constant companion. It's never let up and must've put 2" down as there is a lot of flooding about.  Good job it's August and not Oct as we'd have been really wet 😂

Lots of driving and very little walking and photos. 

On the positive at least I'm not in my usual accommodation and the heating is tip top 👌. Boots are dry ready for the next ascent. 

Enjoy it whilst you can. I would think the weather is improving towards the week end. Thursday should be nice and Friday even better, at least I hope so.😃😃

• Like 1

Things are not looking too good at present as Nicola Sturgeon has now locked down Aberdeen because of a doubling of Corona Virus cases in the last 24 hours.

NICOLA Sturgeon has confirmed that a local lockdown in Aberdeen will begin immediately - after cluster cases rocketed to 54 overnight.  There has also been a surge of cases in Dundee. (according to The Sun newspaper)

We need to keep a close watch on these events especially as Northern England also has areas in current  lockdown.

Derek

• Sad 1

To bring astronomy back into the fore on the thread here are a few shots of the Scottish dark sky observatory from todays visit.

The beautifully engineered suspension bridge over the river doon. 

20200805_181417.thumb.jpg.95f6eb9a0f999df57c38ffa4011f420d.jpg

20200805123239_9Y2A6074.thumb.JPG.e8e18cf90b745ccf115f7a2cabb67b39.JPG

The observatory which seems to be closed at the moment with the staircase to the observing deck blocked off. 

20200805133606_9Y2A6083.thumb.JPG.b62c611bc86e1cd53570247cbc1020da.JPG

20200805_181952.thumb.jpg.ef0c8ed4ebad6fc6c6cee6041e7686be.jpg

The caravan close by had been broken into by some thoughtless idiot, obviously unoccupied at present but just begs the question why? 

20200805_181720.thumb.jpg.3348f89bcba134408a42dbd7e24410ab.jpg

The weather turned shortly after these shots as we walked back round by Glen ness to Loch doon dam and its small  hydro electric station. Back to the car along the road drenched 🙄

Soaked again so back tothe heating to dry everything before tomorrow's adventures. 

• Like 7

It looks a bit worse for wear compared to my last visit there to meet up with Rob Ince. Rob used to live in the static caravan whilst he was the director/manager there. The pipes used to freeze during the winter and often he woke up to ice inside the van, as when they dragged it up the hill the insulation was ripped off the underside.

Looks like you are enjoying a proper Scottish summer 😃

Derek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was completely deserted.

Not sure when it was last opened or occupied? Something was beeping inside like a battery was running low?

The rear where the carpark is had a huge puddle across the complete entrance which can probably be seen in the photo.

A shame after what looks like a lot of time and money has been put into it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Hi Mike,

I believe a few hours  of Photoshopping could improve it.

Being kind most places look "dingy" when it is wet and gloomy.

It is a wonderful facility and should not be neglected. 

Hope everything will be fine at Drumroamin in about 2 months time.

In the meantime, stay safe....

Adrian

3 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mike,

I believe a few hours  of Photoshopping could improve it.

Being kind most places look "dingy" when it is wet and gloomy.

It is a wonderful facility and should not be neglected. 

Hope everything will be fine at Drumroamin in about 2 months time.

In the meantime, stay safe....

Adrian

Hi Adrian, It was wet and gloomy but definitely agree it is a great facility and needs to reopen ASAP.

I have sent them a message on messenger as it says the communication via email is not being monitored about the caravan but as yet haven't had a reply.

On a different note and (I'm sure Adrian can attest to this) we had a day (5hrs) of walking the Ptarmigan ridge and Ben Lomond yesterday (so thats two Simm's, a Corbett and a Munro during the week for the factual people amongst us 😜)

We walked it that way round and although being told the Ptarmigan path was boggy it was nothing like Merrick and a really nice path to walk. From the top the ascent of Ben Lomond is steep and rocky and in places not for the faint hearted.

Ben lomond from the summit of Ptarmigan still another 200m of ascent remaining up the left hand side of the ridge. Can probably see people on it if you zoom in.

20200806_131857.thumb.jpg.59183f2b82cafc415be5010e318757b3.jpg

And the descent down the tourist path which was full of people being Scotlands second most popular Munro and closest to Glasgow.

20200806_150129.thumb.jpg.b90125b812a026028034520bbf4f6d10.jpg

The walk down is 6km and compared to the ascent quite unremarkable. It seems to go on forever. 

I'll add a few more photo's later but only just arrived home today. 50 miles of walking in total over the week. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

At lesleys for the weekend site is in lovely condition, and pitches well spaced out, fully booked nice to see , hope fully all gshouldbe perfect for star camp, stay safe all hope to see you all soon. 

P's Damian looks as if you had a brill time up here, views of the cullins are stunning.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jamie56 said:

At lesleys for the weekend site is in lovely condition, and pitches well spaced out, fully booked nice to see , hope fully all gshouldbe perfect for star camp, stay safe all hope to see you all soon. 

P's Damian looks as if you had a brill time up here, views of the cullins are stunning.

Glad to hear you are getting out and about Jamie. I hope you and Dawn have a nice break at Lesley's.

Keep well both of you.

Derek

• Like 1

Hi Damian, 

Nice images of the Ben......( as you know Ben Lomond is the first Munro you meet going North )    I walked up with my son about 28 years ago. We went up the routine path, over the Granny Stone near the start and down the  Ptarmigan ridge back to the lock. We had parked the car on the other side and got the the little ferry boat across. It was a great day out. When we did it I cannot remember any boggy bits.

On Merrick on the other hand I last attempted it about 4 years back from the car park at the top of Glen Trool. It was very muddy on the trail up where they are cleared an area of forest and to stay out of the mud I had to walk on tree trunks as much as possible for about 60  yards. Once I got to the little bothy I had a drink and went on for another half hour and then decided to turn back as thick cloud started to fall.

I have been to the top of Merrick a number of times, as you know the views on a clear day are great and Merrick is the highest mountain south of the Munros.

Trust you are keeping well and looking forward to October....

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

Just a quick reminder that two months from day, we will hopefully be enjoying the inky black skies of Dumfries and Galloway.

In preparation I have purchased a new tent which is 10 kilos in weigh as opposed to my  reliable 38 kilos tent. I am currently suffering with sore hands and legs.

I am thinking of doing a trail camping  for few days in Norfolk at West Runton. Has anybody camped there?

In the South we have had a series of thunderstorms and heavy rain and the temperature today is more liveable...

All the best.  hope the weather in October will be brilliant.

Adrian

• Like 2

Hi Ian,

I agree it will be great to meet up again..... I am looking forward to the whiskey tasting sessions on the odd cloudy night.

Trust you are keeping in the best of health.

We are have really miserable weather down South at present. Constant dark grey clouds  plus rain over the last few days and  nights.

Chreers

Adrian

• Like 1