Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

Hi Peter,

A few years ago some one flew a drone there  I believe, I can't see any problems or Lesley complaining about it. Next time I speak to her I will ask. I know that the law states:

There are a few fundamental rules that all drone operators are required to follow in the UK, such as keeping your drone in sight at all times, and never flying it above 400ft. ... Observe your drone at all times – stay 150ft (50m) away from people and property. Never fly near aircraft.

But on a farm or caravan park it may well be completely different, as no other  people and habitable buildings. I have been thinking of one for ages but cannot justify the cost 😂

Maybe if one could be adapted to measure gravy viscosity it would be a different matter ! 🤣

Derek

Hi, Derek,

Actually the drone I bought is not expensive and offers a lot for the money - at £150, less than a decent eyepiece 😉  To be fair, with hindsight, although I bought the basic version I would recommend getting the advanced version (£180) for the superior controller.  It's very comprehensive, the only drawback being the fixed camera which is therefore not rock steady when flying.  But not bad.  I did a short video of the 'Follow me' function today.  It was quite breezy, and the drone kicked once, but pretty good otherwise. That's here, but much reduced in size from 1920 wide to 360.  A full sized screen capture below, as you can see, quite good quality.  Loads of videos on YouTube.

Cheers,

Peter

Still.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info Derek and the phone call the other day.  I hope all are fit and well and staying safe. 

It is only to be expected that this will continue for quite some time and life won't get back to 'normal' anytime soon.

The star camp will continue here until such a time as we can view the heavens again in the glorious dark skies of Galloway. 

Mike o'Brien and Dave both flew drones at the camp a few years ago. They were impressive and it was good to see the camp from a different perspective. I personally didn't mind. 

Looking forward to catching up with everyone that is booked in but we must take the appropriate action to keep everyone attending safe. If that means cancelling then so be it.

Best regards,

Damian (Runner up in the pie munching competition)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, petevasey said:

Yes indeed.  Although, living in Hexham I rarely get to meetings.

You think that is bad, I live within 100 yards of the college and still find it difficult to attend meetings, although I always manage the Christmas Night out for a meal with everyone. 🥃🥂🍝  😁

Derek

By the way thanks for the links to you video and the  Drone.  Interesting.

😈Now we know what you look like 😈

• Sad 1

Well, Thanks Peter ! You have planted a seed into my brain that I cannot shift. Spent the last day now researching different drones. I even went on line and got my drone and model aircraft flyer ID and operator ID !! £9 spent and no drone as yet. I think my wife is now resigned to a droning husband 😂

Derek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear!

If I ever meet your good lady I hope she'll speak to me 😉   If you want a drone with a high resolution image stabilised camera the sky is the limit.  If you're prepared to use a smart phone there are some decent drones with reasonable cameras and image stabilizers for around £400 -£500 - still a fair whack.  You say you're now CAA qualified, but the Mavic Mini seems very nice indeed and is under 250 grams with a long flight time.  Good review here.   The same reviewer then does a range test here.  Incredibly over 3 miles range, but of course totally illegal here!

Drones Direct are probably the best place to buy up market drones in this country - same price as Amazon, and obviously personal service if there's a problem.  If you do take the plunge, whatever you get make sure you have propeller guards!  Living where I am, I can fly over adjoining farmland so long as there are no animals near - very handy.  I imagine your nearest place would be the Leas/Marsden area.  My 500 metre radius circle below:

Cheers,

Peter

Circle.jpg

Hi Peter,

Well just bit the bullet. I did use Drones Direct, been looking on their web site and others for the last two days. 

It will arrive tomorrow they tell me. I'll get back to you by PM when it is all sorted. The certification I have is not CAA, but just a drone operator licence. The CAA certification is a three day course and is around £1300 to pay out which includes two nights in a hotel. Drones Direct run a course in three places in the UK. If her indoors has calmed down maybe I'll mention it..... Errrr maybe not 😂

Using mine I will be able to fly it properly at my friends farm over just south of Port Patrick. I remember building a kit drone for him a year or two ago. As it disappeared over towards a Wind Generator he exclaimed " Oh ....*&$ Derek it is not coming back" At which time he threw the control at me in a panic.  Me! I had never flown one ever. Talk about in the deep end ! 😱

If everything pans out I will take it up to the Galloway Star Party and record a few vids for everyone. Then hopefully it will show off the area/views and skies very nicely.

Derek

• Confused 1

Very good Mike 🤣

Derek, you didn't waste any time - I thrashed around for a couple of weeks before taking my modest plunge!  To be fair, not having a smart phone and the Android version in my tablet being too old, my choices were rather limited.  What did you buy?  I daren't speculate, but perhaps anticipate your wife landing on my doorstep complete with meat cleaver!  The CAA licence I referred to is just the standard operator/flyer thingy that I also have, since my drone weighs over 250 grams.  Pity I won't be at Drumroamin in October, as I said before I'm booked for Kelling although that probably won't happen either, for me anyway.  But I'm booked for next March, so all being well will look forward to meeting everybody.  Of course you all have the advantage of me after seeing the video and photo I posted earlier.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hoping to come again - but no whisky this time!

I do need to see what is happening about my daughter's birthday, as it is on the Sunday (so may have to come home on Saturday). I'm also going to hang on to see what's happening about this virus thing that's going around, before I book.

If not, i will be there in March.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Bomberbaz

I think the website usually shows as fully booked during the starcamp, to reserve it for us.

You should ring Lesley at the site to check.

Edited by philthy
  • Like 2

Hi Phil,

You are correct. The site is always posted up as fully booked  during the Star Parties. This is done on purpose to stop none astronomers from constantly trying to book  pitches for tents or caravans. All bookings are by email or telephone calls to Lesley at Drumroamin.

So Steve just give Lesley a call to book up.😃

Derek

Edited by Physopto

I really hope it goes ahead this autumn. What a nice way it would be to come out of lock down with a trip to drumroamin under a starry sky and good company.

I have an image in my head of everyone's rigs having two meter markers on the ground radiating outwards 🤣🤣🤣

Whether it be this autumn or next year it can't come soon enough.

Stay safe everyone ✌️

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

I spoke to Lesley at length on Sunday morning, she was out walking Bud in the woods.

The campsite is in brilliant condition, no car marks at all!

She cannot book anybody to stay on the campsite before 30 June 2020  as she cannot open the Facility Block..

She is hoping that the Scotland's Premier Star Party in October will go ahead.

It would be good if people booked to reserve their place.

A lot of parking areas on the A75 are closed at present.

I am booked in for early October.

Trust you are all surviving......

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 3

Hi Everyone.

I have just spoken to Lesley at length.

The Scottish Government is unlikely to end restrictions before next month. When exactly, we do not know.

Lesley is unable to open the site at least until some time in June.

Even then, due to severe restrictions she may not be able to do so as the shower block may have to remain closed until a  much later date. Therefore these severe restrictions may make it impossible to open with anything like normal business.

So at present no good news I am afraid.

But Lesley is taking tentative bookings from people wishing to chance it if the site is allowed to open to the general public.

Our Star Camp dates are protected especially/specifically for our use ! No general public allowed during that week.

The Star Camp is still a fair way off, so please be sure to set aside those dates and hope for the best.

As before make sure you book directly with Lesley and do not try to book on line !

On the brighter side the weather looks good at present and the site is in excellent condition.

We all live in hope.

Keep well,

Derek

P.S.

Lesley has no problems with anyone using a drone on the site as long as it is directly over the site, follows the CAA regulations on distance and height restrictions concerning people, houses / property and our own astronomical  gear.

They must not be flown over adjacent farmers fields at low altitude which may cause problems with livestock.

i.e. just be sensible 😃

#  You will be responsible for any and all damage caused by a drone so insurance is advisable!!  #

• Like 2

Hi All,

Just came across a web site for drones and other types of flight weather detail.

It is extremely detailed in information and could be of some extended use to us all.

Called: -  Windy.com

Give it a  go as it has loads of info on weather, detailed road maps, wind speeds, visibility, cloud bases (lower intermediate and higher) radar, and loads more, still finding more and more!

You could even go for the paid version at around 19 euro/year if you want. I am debating that one with myself.

I hope this proves to be a useful site for you all.

Keep safe,

Derek

On 05/05/2020 at 16:10, estwing said:

Just bring a big dob....nobody wants to get near one of those.

Yes I nearly missed an opportunity here. I meant to say better than BARBED WIRE !!! 😈

He He.🤣

Derek

Edited by Physopto

Hi all, apologies for my ignorance here, but how do I go about booking for the Star Camp (if it can go ahead)? 

I'm a keen stargazer, but due to other commitments just haven't had time to delve in as much as I'd like.  I have just finished my degree in astronomy and planetary science and will hopefully start teaching physics come August pending my final pass.  Would love to make this my first real astronomy event with my poor neglected telescope!

• Like 3