NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 M82 composite

MikeD

No chance of any imaging here tonight, so i had another play with the colour data for my m81 image .

I made some new flats for the Red and green data and had another go at putting it all together as L-HaRGB. i managed a better colour result with the new flats, but I think it's still worth another go at the RGB.

Anyway after I finished I decided to use the result combined with an L-Ha-rgb image of M82 and a wider Lrgb image of the two taken with my 80Ed (both from last year) as a High res composite image.

10999_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Full size image is here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lesley.deegan/skyatnight/m81-m82-compositefull.jpg

I think I will have have another go at this when I redo the M81 rgb data. :D

mike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, hope to improve it with new RGB for M81.

That is a fantastic composite excellently put together. I love the detail in both galaxies with the core of M81 being controlled really well and not burnt out as usual.

Regards

Kevin

Imaging the two galaxies separately and then putting them together post processing makes it a lot easier to control the core of m81 than an image of the two in the same fov. 8)

Mike.

A really good composite Mike.

Interesting what you say about it being easier to control in the processing doing it the way you have. It makes sense as they are both pretty different when it comes to processing.

Did you have an trouble getting a good blend into the background when it came to pasting in.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again for the very kind comments. :thumbright:

A really good composite Mike.

Interesting what you say about it being easier to control in the processing doing it the way you have. It makes sense as they are both pretty different when it comes to processing.

Did you have an trouble getting a good blend into the background when it came to pasting in.

Cheers

Rob

Yes Rob it was a bit of a challenge. :D

I use layer masks to try and make the blend a bit more progressive and ajusted the black point of each part to match, but you can see where I have not paid enough attention to the blend in the full size image, as at the time I was just playing. When I get some more RGB data I will have a more serious go at putting it all together.

Mike.

Mike, that is one of the best M81/M82 pairings I have seen - stunning colours especially in M82 but both galaxies are beautifully presented here. Fantastic image!

I'll second that Mike, that's a quality image to be proud of :thumbright:

Archived