Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette in HOO using Starnet

don4l

I've been playing with Starnet, and I am very impressed with it.  Unlike many processing methods/tricks/tips, this seems to work on every image that I have tried.

My problem is that I'm not very good at processing the RGB stars as a separate image.  Sometimes they come out brilliantly, and other times I just don't get much colour in them at all.  I'd really like to get some pointers about producing the stars in the first place (I'm making an RGB in CCDStack and just stretching the levels).  I could also do with some advice about recombining them with the starless image in PS or Gimp.  Currently, I'm adding them back in in either "lighten" or "screen" mode, or a mixture of both.

This image is 50m Ha, 70m OIII and 16m RGB (5,5,6).

Tak FSQ106 at F5,  G3 16200, Chroma Ha and OIII 3nm filters, EQ6

CCDCiel, Indi, CCDStack and Gimp.

Any other comments or suggestions very welcome.

Rose.jpg

CdC.jpg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Yes, i would suggest not displaying what could only be a Hubble image as your own. 

Simply beautiful! it really is Hubblesque.

Thank you very much.  

I have the feeling that it is my best image so far, but I am useless at looking at my own images.

On 04/12/2019 at 14:36, Star101 said:

Having double clicked both images to zoom in on the noise. I think that the second image is better. 

On a normal scale, on my laptop. Both images look the same. Very nice work.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave.

On 04/12/2019 at 13:49, simmo39 said:

Brilliant!  but think the first rendition is better.

Thank you both!

Clearly, I should stop looking so closely.  If the difference is open to opinion, then I am clearly worrying far too much.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

Makes one want a 106mm Tak, doesn't it, great image and really jumps out the screen on my setup in the basement.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I bought it (in 2008) because I had seen fantastic images taken with it.  Maybe at last I'm getting somewhere.

I have to say, that if I were buying now, I would look very closely at the Esprit scopes.

Those kind of images is what making us to dream about Tak FSQ scopes, i know many will see not necessary and can go with something like Esprit or WO or Stellarvue and such, but a Japanese scope has a reputation and quality, in fact all Chinese scopes and even some Europeans are compared to those big name or high quality ones such as AP and Tak and in same class, so i feel like why i go with top quality Chinese if there is something better anyway if can afford.

You don't have SII filter to add to this? Can we have SHO Hubble Palette with only Ha/OIII filters?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, celestron8g8 said:

That’s an incredible image especially center but i would love to see the out skirts of the neb to be more data or signal so to see more detail . But as i said that’s an incredible capture ! 

Thank you... and thanks for asking about the fainter nebulosity.  There is only 2H 16m of data in this, I had assumed that any attempt to bring out any more would just show up noiseness.    As it happens, it did become more noisy, but I've learned a  method of controlling it (I think).

I opened up my working image in the Gimp and added a new layer with the original data.  I changed the stretching so that the faint stuff was more visible.  I then colourised this and added it in "Lighten" mode.  At this point, it was quite noisy, so I applied a gaussian blur - which didn't seem to affect the rest of the image, but fixed the new faint stuff!  Hooray!!!!  I've never had any success with blurring before.

Anyway, here is my effort at bringing out the fainter stuff.  I've no idea if people will think that it is better or worse than the original.  (The stars will be a bit different in this - ignore them please).

Sum RoseHaAutoA.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Those kind of images is what making us to dream about Tak FSQ scopes, i know many will see not necessary and can go with something like Esprit or WO or Stellarvue and such, but a Japanese scope has a reputation and quality, in fact all Chinese scopes and even some Europeans are compared to those big name or high quality ones such as AP and Tak and in same class, so i feel like why i go with top quality Chinese if there is something better anyway if can afford.

You don't have SII filter to add to this? Can we have SHO Hubble Palette with only Ha/OIII filters?

I have an old Astronomik SII filter which produces horrible halos.  I haven't found any method of dealing with them.  I'm yet to be convinced that an SII filter would represent value for money, and I'm not sure how my other half would respond if I brought the subject up now.  I've wondered about simulating an SII channel for a fake SHO image.  SII data usually looks like a different stretch of Ha data (to me anyway).

25 minutes ago, don4l said:

I have an old Astronomik SII filter which produces horrible halos.  I haven't found any method of dealing with them.  I'm yet to be convinced that an SII filter would represent value for money, and I'm not sure how my other half would respond if I brought the subject up now.  I've wondered about simulating an SII channel for a fake SHO image.  SII data usually looks like a different stretch of Ha data (to me anyway).

Ok, then one day if i am lucky and i bought that SII then i hope i can get your Ha and OIII data so i can add my SII data and see how the Hubble Palette will look like, if you wouldn't mind, i just try to wait and see when i can get that SII because i want also to get LRGB, can't buy both at once and very soon, or i wish if i can sell my Optolong filters then i will start to sell my SII [36mm size] and replace it with something better.