Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution insect apocalypse

JG777

Good news and bad news rolled into one ! maybe now there is evidence that light pollution WILL change or lives someone will start taking it seriously.

Silly idea, but if Mr Johnson or Corbyn are listening perhaps they could introduce an after hours light pollution tax 🙂

I'd vote for them 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, knobby said:

Good news and bad news rolled into one ! maybe now there is evidence that light pollution WILL change or lives someone will start taking it seriously.

Silly idea, but if Mr Johnson or Corbyn are listening perhaps they could introduce an after hours light pollution tax 🙂

I'd vote for them 

Politics? Tssk, Tssk!
But I do get what you mean knobby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's depressing.  I do sometimes feel that actually nothing will change until people close to home start dying as a result of humans' careless mismanagement of the environment that keeps us alive.  Until that point, ignorance, greed, the desire for power and a sense of entitlement will override any concerns about our future.

James

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think this is the source of the orig. article (dated a bit earlier than the Biological Conservation publication):- https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3378835

A really good piece, that echoes many of the ideas in the DW Documentary "The Insect Apocalypse" https://youtu.be/GzhHHVFp32U and the Buglife review from 2011.

I read this article yesterday - sad but not surprising. Some (not all) planners/architects still don't seem to get it. The two businesses next to us are beyond ridiculous. One has just installed three 180 deg 1000 lumen unshielded LED flood lights. This is to light ONE small parking space at their rear - they shine directly into our house and needless to say, destroy any chances of astronomy. The other business, despite my written objection, has just received planning permission to install NINE of the exact same ones along the length of their building that faces us a few metres away. I convinced LP offender number one to reluctantly switch the timer off at 8pm, and that took a lot of persuasion with a hint of statutory nuisance thrown in. They acted like I stole their Christmas. The other business is a complete pain they will no doubt leave them on all night. 

Along with other issues from these two businesses, we will simply have to move and are planning to do so in the spring. Even if I wasn't into astronomy, they would drive me nuts, you can't see anything outside at night, it's already blinding.

• Like 1

I drive to work at 3am. It is so, depressing seeing all the businesses that are brilliantly illuminated, that are closed!

The cost to produce the electricity, is just the tip of the iceberg, all the way to the beginning when someone drilled for the crude oil that fuels the power plants.

But big money usually gets their way.

• Like 2