Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-240

Adreneline

This image has got a host of things wrong with it but it's the best I can manage with the data I've got. Lack of clear night with no moon and then a very limited window of visibility between the house and neighbouring trees provided 20 x 180s of Ha and OIII taken with my Samyang 135mm plus ASI16000MM-Pro.

773021114_Sh2-240-Ha-OIIIBiColor.thumb.png.b50b2d384a2db1611ea9aa6d14eed724.png

Processed in PI and PS - stars removed and processed separately and then recombined with starless Ha and OIII images as a lighten layer in PS.

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Swapped jpg for png
  • Like 16

Well done!

It's not an easy target, especially when you can't even see it on individual subs, is it?

I spent a couple of seasons on it with my Canon, Ha filter and 200 mm lens (and put the results in my 'best of 2018' submission).

It was a target where I found longer exposures helped (got to 12 minute subs in one batch), and your processing comment inspires me to go back and try using Starnet on it to remove the stars...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, almcl said:

Well done!

Thank you!

It is a real challenge from a Bortle 5 area that's for sure. Not sure I can push my 1600 to 12 mins but I might get away with 5 mins.

I was going to try using my Canon 200 mm next time - once I've cracked the spacing issue.

AP's just one darn challenge after another!

Adrian

• Like 1

Just now, Adreneline said:

AP's just one darn challenge after another!

Ain't that the truth?

And yet I still find myself looking at some beautiful but impossible target (often posted by a fellow SGLer whose kit when new would cost 10 or 20 times what mine did) and wondering 'could I manage to get something like that?'  

We love a challenge, don't we?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Don’t want to sound silly, I might have missed something, but what object is this? 

Sh2-240 - The Sh stands for the Sharpless Catalogue (produced by  Stewart Sharpless ), the 2 is catalogue version 2 and the 240 is the 240th object in the catalogue but it is also known as the Spaghetti Nebula. It is also catalogued as Simeis 147.

5 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

what object is this?

Well I think it is Sh2-240 or Simeis 147 known as the Spaghetti Nebula. Sharpless 2-240 is a supernova remnant in the Milky Way, straddling the border between the constellations Auriga and Taurus.

Looks like it's been said already.

Sorry for not identifying it clearly.

Adrian

1 hour ago, apophisOAS said:

Wonderful New image to me, well done

Thanks Roger - glad you like it.

22 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well done I have wanted to do this target for years, but its huge and I don't have the right kit for it.

Thanks Carole. First time I tried this I used the Samyang and Atik428ex and it would only just fit into the FoV. I am hoping to have a go with my Canon 200mm and ASI1600 - that should be a really good match. Just need the clear, dark skies!

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Correction

Agree with the above that you have done well with 2 hours of data.  This is my next widefield set up project and plan to run it through the winter.  Most of the images I have seen Ha mono or HaRGB.  However, I have seen some done using Ha and OIII which show a few OIII filaments but they reveal heavy shoving of the OIII data.  Did you find much OIII?  I'm feeling inclined to go for HaRGB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Did you find much OIII?  I'm feeling inclined to go for HaRGB.

You are correct - the OIII is quite weak. I try to resist over-stretching the OIII data, in fact I try to ensure I stretch OIII the same as I stretch Ha to keep the same relative levels - probably why my images look a bit pastel coloured in nature. I did try RGB in a previous attempt using an Atk428ex with the Samyang but, other than getting some coloured stars all I got was a lot of noise and light pollution. RGB is a bit frustrating here for just about all targets.

I've attached my registered Ha and OIII masters; if you (or anyone else) would like to have a go at processing I would be delighted. I really struggle with these feint targets. As you will see I have cropped the originals to get the image above. As is typical I get a fair amount of OIII bloat which is why I chose to remove the stars, process the underlying data and then put the stars back in using a lighten layer in PS.

Adrian

sh2-240-Master-Ha_r.fit sh2-240-Master-OIII_r.fit