Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jumped in at the deep end - Hello!

onedego

Well, after my first post in the Beginners forum, I was looking for advice. See, unlike my fiance, i struggle to do the whole "natural aligning and just pointing at stuff" thing. I'm more of a technical kind of person who feels a definate need to work from a definitive guide.

So, following doing some research on German Equatorial Mounts, and thanks to the help of MikeP in Private Messages, i went out in the garden tonight at 8:15pm, and worked my head around the stars, finding Ursa Major, holding my hand in front of it, then going 3 x that distance in a straight line from the edge of the "bucket", and low & behold, there was polaris. So i pointed the telescope at it, setting things to zero where required... I thought, rather than just going there and then, i'd leave it half an hour to see if i was on the right star or not, at the same time as allowing the scope & lenses to aclimatise.

While I was in the warmth, waiting for this time to pass, i went through a list of things i wanted to see... Half an hour later, out we go, and glance through the eye peice and there it was... exactly where i left it Polaris. So using my new planisphere (bought today), I located Andromeda... i turned the axis to point to the numbers, and there was a disk like object in my sights... Blue & Yellow (thought it could be different, i am red/green colour blind, so have problems with colours). So happy with that, i gazed for a little while, following the thing using only RA turn dial... Then moved on to Orion Nebula... again, the same process. And there it was again! So, gazing again, and following with the RA turn dial...

And then, onwards i moved out slightly to the Pliadies just to have a quick look and see if i could see what all the fuss was about... Before sliding back down and onto my usual nightly visit to the Moon. Now, the moon, i can gaze at all night, exploring it's craters. I started on my 20mm lens, before honing in with 12.5mm, 9mm, then adding my 3x Barlow... there's some beautiful craters up there! Fascinating!

So all in all, i have just had my first successful night of Star Gazing! So i thought i'd drop in and say HI!!!!!

Hope you enjoy SGL Onedego. Loads of help and advice available should you need any.

Good luck with your future observations.

You are permitted to discover Comets, Supernova, stuff like that. :laughing2:

Best Wishes.

Ron. :D

Archived