Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neptune/Psi Aquarii Conjunction

Les Ewan

NeptuneTrritonPsi.thumb.JPG.e8f1ada045f36fdcc6bf744092f4eadc.JPGConditions were ideal for imaging the close conjunction of 4th magnitude Psi Aquarii and Neptune. The image doesn't show this  well but visually the golden Psi really brought out the blueness of Neptune beautifully, a bit like  the Albireo effect. The event was made even more interesting by Triton  laying between the two. Although easily imaged I couldn't see 13.5 magnitude Triton directly even though I was using a 16" Newt.

Image details;

The bright star is Psi Aquarii with Neptune to the left with Triton in between.

The image was taken with a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR attatched to a 21mm Celestron Ultima Duo eyepiece.The telescope is a 406mm f 4.4 Skyliner Flexitube on a driven Dobsonian mount.

10 second exposure at 6400ISO. 00:08 BST 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Les Ewan said:

NeptuneTrritonPsi.thumb.JPG.e8f1ada045f36fdcc6bf744092f4eadc.JPGConditions were ideal for imaging the close conjunction of 4th magnitude Psi Aquarii and Neptune. The image doesn't show this  well but visually the golden Psi really brought out the blueness of Neptune beautifully, a bit like  the Albireo effect. The event was made even more interesting by Triton  laying between the two. Although easily imaged I couldn't see 13.5 magnitude Triton directly even though I was using a 16" Newt.

Image details;

The bright star is Psi Aquarii with Neptune to the left with Triton in between.

The image was taken with a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR attatched to a 21mm Celestron Ultima Duo eyepiece.The telescope is a 406mm f 4.4 Skyliner Flexitube on a driven Dobsonian mount.

10 second exposure at 6400ISO. 00:08 BST 

I also observed the conjunction from Dronfield, conditions were a bit variable with clouds coming and going, I was a bit lazy though and didn't bother to set up my camera to take a photo.

Interesting too that you also appear to have imaged Triton, I also caught it when I photographed the close conjunction of Neptune and Mars last year, I've also never been able to spot Triton visually through my 14in Newtonian, it may become easier in future years as Neptune gradually moves higher up in the sky.

John 

Edited by johnturley

• 2 weeks later...

Wow--extraordinary shot.  That is a close conjunction--I remember seeing Neptune in an old Meade RCX 14" I used to have.  It had a definite pale blue color.  It looked like a smooth little marble--I bet if you notched down the brightness a bit, it would result in a pleasing affect.  Triton might dissapear, but the planet and star might gain some color.  With a mask in PI you could protect Triton .  just a thought

Rodd