Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12v cable options?

jimjam11

I have the Nevada bench supply that I want to locate in my shed, but this would mean a run of approx 15m to the mount.

Measured amps is typically 3A but peaks at around 5 if slewing and running the initial camera cooldown.

I have a 5m cable like this which works perfectly but I need to get another 10m away:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-extension.html

Should I buy another couple of these or is there a better way?

Tia,

9 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You could get automotive twin core cable probably about £1.00 per meter for 1.5mm cable.

Dave

That was my thinking, though if it is going to be moved and wound up regularly perhaps it's not the best choice.

James

10 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That was my thinking, though if it is going to be moved and wound up regularly perhaps it's not the best choice.

James

Proper twin core automotive flex should be OK, available on EB no doubt.

Dave

There you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flat-Twin-2-Core-Cable-12v-24v-Thin-Wall-Wire-11A-14A-16-5A-21A-25A-29A-33A-42A/122782951296?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D581944d4caf64771874f84cac9eb643a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D252115241508%26itm%3D122782951296%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by Davey-T

7 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That's probably what I'd go for if it was to be unrolled and rolled up again every session.  And I'd probably buy or make a reel for it to go on.  The resistance of copper in that size over that distance is so small (1 ohm, perhaps?) I don't think it should make a lot of difference to the supply voltage.

James

On 07/09/2019 at 10:18, JamesF said:

..........  And I'd probably buy or make a reel for it to go on...........

I was looking for small reels for my long USB active cables and discovered "empty" 3d printer filament reels were a neat and cheap solution.

They're about ten inches diameter and three inches wide, made of plastic, and quite sturdy for repeated log term use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=empty+3d+printer+reel&_sop=2

3d printer reel.png

I bought some flexible twin-core cable in B&Q.  I can't now recall exactly what the current rating is but it is sufficient for the OP's requirements which are the same as mine. When I clear away I just loop it like lawn mower cable and hang it on a hook in the shed. 

1 hour ago, Astro-Geek said:

I was looking for small reels for my long USB active cables and discovered "empty" 3d printer filament reels were a neat and cheap solution.

I've re-used them for a similar purpose.  Very handy they are :)

James

On 07/09/2019 at 00:19, Davey-T said:

You could get automotive twin core cable probably about £1.00 per meter for 1.5mm cable.

Dave

Dave, for a 15m run that won't be thick enough as I know from personal experience and expense, you'll need a minimum of 2.5mm preferably 3.0mm for a run like that, I use a Nevada PSU (2 of them) and at that length the voltage drops with 1.5mm to under 12v, I get 13.2v with 2.5mm

15 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Dave, for a 15m run that won't be thick enough as I know from personal experience and expense, you'll need a minimum of 2.5mm preferably 3.0mm for a run like that, I use a Nevada PSU (2 of them) and at that length the voltage drops with 1.5mm to under 12v, I get 13.2v with 2.5mm

Thicker sizes are available :thumbsup:

Dave

I'd have thought with a maximum current draw of 5A you'd be ok with 1.5mm cable -- probably less than a 1V drop, and nearer 0.6V at 3A depending on the exact resistance of the cable.  You must presumably be pulling a fair bit more current than that to drop close to 2V, John?

If there's a chance of adding more kit with additional power requirements though, going for a larger size seems like a sensible precaution.

• Like 1