Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from a n00b :)

Diabolist

Hi there, :)

I thought I'd pop on and say hello; I'm , what could kindly be termed an "enthusiastic amateur," at this sky-gazing lark, with the emphasis on the amateuer! However, I really want to learn more about practical astronomy, so my plan is to suck on your brains a bit, if that's okay, and maybe make some gaze-mates along the way.

I don't have a scientific background - other than schooldays physics and chemistry - but am trying to coax my brain into learning some of the broad basics of astronomy/astrophsics, so I can give my observations a bit of context. I want to know WHY I'm seeing as well as WHAT.

My first hurdle is trying to find an entry level telescope that won't break the bank (c£200 is my limit, really...and I know that this could prose a problem!); I might come back to you with stupid questions somewhere along the way, so I hope you'll bear with me a little bit - but not if I'm being genuinely thick!

I came across you whilst looking for reviews/experiences of Telescope Planet and, for the moment, I think I'm going to keep my hand on my credit card, so thanks! :D

My advice would be to ask lots of advice before spending your money.

Firstly what do you want to view. Planets or deep space.

Do you want to try your hand at photography or are you interested in just visual.

Where are you observing. How fit are you and can you lift OK.

These are just a few questions that may help us help you.

Welcome - you've come to the right place...

Once you've answered Doc's questions, theres some good second-hand kit going at the moment - never a better time to buy, with prices crashing through the floor on second-hand kit!

New kit is mostly too pricey at the moment though....

Welcome n00b, Astronomy is a great way of wiling away your free time, and you can do it for fun, or you can hone any of the many sciences that are encompassed within it. It is your choice.

There are members well versed in many of the disciplies, and will be glad to help if you need them.

Advice is available as Doc. says, when it comes to making a choice of telescope, a few Ideas on what you wish to do, and he guidance will follow.

Good luck, and enjoy SGL.

Ron. :)

Welcome n00b, Astronomy is a great way of wiling away your free time, and you can do it for fun, or you can hone any of the many sciences that are encompassed within it. It is your choice.

There are members well versed in many of the disciplies, and will be glad to help if you need them.

Advice is available as Doc. says, when it comes to making a choice of telescope, a few Ideas on what you wish to do, and he guidance will follow.

Please note: Our spelling is sometimes not one of those refined sciences lol :D sorry couldnt pass it up!

Please note: Our spelling is sometimes not one of those refined sciences lol :p sorry couldnt pass it up!

Oh no, you are not going to hang me for missing an n out of disciplines Jon.?

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: I hang my head in shame. :D

Ron.

My advice would be to ask lots of advice before spending your money.

Firstly what do you want to view. Planets or deep space.

Do you want to try your hand at photography or are you interested in just visual.

Where are you observing. How fit are you and can you lift OK.

These are just a few questions that may help us help you.

Thank you; that's really helpful and kind of you. I'll post on the proper forum once I've had a think.

Sorry Ron, just couldnt help myself! lol Im the worst for typos lol :)

No worries Jon. I've just discovered you are in Canada, after the clue in the Whisky

thread. That accounts for the long delay in your answers sometimes. :laughing2:

:thumbright:

Archived