NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to do on a wet Friday

Nigella Bryant

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Making my first attempt at bread baking. No machines involved.

I enjoy baking, and yes no bread machine. After hearing a story about Russian black bread even had to give that a try once.

Mostly biscuits now, though I'm not sure if you call biscuits biscuits across the pond.

Isn't it amazing what amateur astronomers do on a rainy day.

Looks lovely though I prefer wholemeal.  Made lots of bread in my time.  Best type of oven is an Aga.  Braburn pretty good too.  I've also tried a breadmaker but hand made is best.

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

I enjoy baking, and yes no bread machine. After hearing a story about Russian black bread even had to give that a try once.

Mostly biscuits now, though I'm not sure if you call biscuits biscuits across the pond.

Isn't it amazing what amateur astronomers do on a rainy day.

Biscuits are indeed biscuits, thought they were Cookies your side of the pond.

85C85429-44EF-4311-ACDD-ED5192809094.jpeg.9fed45a7c088b0853d184318bd3258d2.jpeg

Those would be cookies. 

Our biscuits are a mix of flour, shortening, butter milk and baking powder. Rises as it bakes to a golden brown. Quite beady, very good for every meal.

Takes a lot of practice to get them right from scratch.

My maternal grandmother made them 2 or 3 times a day. But it took good cheap food to keep 14 kids full.

Had a hospital appointment this morning. So spent the early part of the afternoon in the drizzle/rain underneath my car tightening up an exhaust clamp because the main box pipe was becoming separated from the rear box pipe. Not fun when you do not have a dry area to work in/on... (only got a (wet/damp) parking area).

Edited by Philip R
  • Sad 2

I spent some of today moving pretty much all of the rest of my kit into the observatory.  I think it's just my 10" dob that's now in the house.  In the process I uncovered all my meteor detection bits, so I think I might be doing radio-related stuff shortly, too.

James

• Like 2

Not raining, but a second go at bread making

IMG_20190823_131323.thumb.jpg.5965e2efe15a3b2ff2c520d27b9ee324.jpg

Unlike the quick 'n' dirty method for the first attempt, this time I proved, knocked back, re-kneeded, shaped, re-proved and baked.

Looks much better.

• Like 3