Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Apollo 11 mm eyepiece

Jarvo

Have ordered an 11mm Type 6 Nagler from Telescope House while Tele Vue eyepieces are on special offer and the 11mm is still available. I was advised by another retailer that Tele Vue had discontinued production of this eyepiece, and was initially a bit surprised by this, but subsequently found that its no longer listed on Tele Vue's website, hence wondered whether this has anything to do with the production of their limited edition 11mm Apollo eyepiece. 

I will find it interesting comparing this eyepiece with my existing 11m ES 82 degree eyepiece, and establishing whether the Nagler is significantly superior, if I find a major difference I may gradually replace my ES 82's by Type 6 Naglers.

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Have ordered an 11mm Type 6 Nagler from Telescope House while Tele Vue eyepieces are on special offer and the 11mm is still available. I was advised by another retailer that Tele Vue had discontinued production of this eyepiece, and was initially a bit surprised by this, but subsequently found that its no longer listed on Tele Vue's website, hence wondered whether this has anything to do with the production of their limited edition 11mm Apollo eyepiece. 

I will find it interesting comparing this eyepiece with my existing 11m ES 82 degree eyepiece, and establishing whether the Nagler is significantly superior, if I find a major difference I may gradually replace my ES 82's by Type 6 Naglers.

John 

Thats interesting. The 11mm Type 6 does not appear on the Tele Vue website now so it looks like it has been dropped:

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=21

The 11mm is the only T6 Nagler that I have not owned !

I used to skip straight from the 13mm to the 9mm. Maybe others did the same so the 11 was not a good seller ?. I'm sure it's quality is as good as the other T6's though.

All I've read on the Apollo 11 eyepiece indicates that it's a one off and not the advance guard of a new Nagler range. Time will tell of course :smiley:

46 minutes ago, John said:

I used to skip straight from the 13mm to the 9mm. Maybe others did the same so the 11 was not a good seller ?. I'm sure it's quality is as good as the other T6's though.

I did exactly the same John. After buying my NP101 in 2007/2008 along with pretty much every Nagler, I found that for me the 11mm was in a bit of a no man's land. It was a nice eyepiece,  but the 13mm and 9mm each had a sweet spot. 

• Like 1

Yes, the 11mm NT6 and 12mm NT4 were both recently dropped, though I'm not sure in what order.  The 2.5mm NT6 was also dropped a while back along with the 20mm and 26mm NT5s.  The 2-4mm Nagler zoom was also discontinued in the not so distant past.  Any others dropped in the last 5 years or so that I left out?

Edited by Louis D
Added 2-4mm NZ
  • Like 1

The 11mm NT6 Eyepiece arrived today, so I must have got one of the last ones available.

The box was very plain and basic compared to those supplied with ES eyepieces, but obviously its what's in the box that counts, also surprisingly a little more compact and lighter than the ES equivalent. 

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 2

You’ve got a little cracker there John. I love the 11mm T6. Have only had four but the 11 has always been my favourite. Always hear the 13 is good too - maybe it’s at these middling focal lengths where the 82 degree field is most useful, though I’ve also found the 11 very sharp and comfortable, despite not having a vast amount of eye relief

• Like 3

11mm is one of the rare focal lengths I own no fixed focal length eyepieces in and don't feel like I'm missing anything.  It's just too close to 10mm and 12mm to matter in anything but a really long focal length scope.  The 11mm Nagler T1 was also discontinued fairly early in the T1 life cycle (during the smoothie phase) and became quite the expensive collectible as a result.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 2

....which is the main reason I hung on to mine all these years....and it's still one of the clearest and sharpest eyepieces I own! It broke the bank back in 1987 but on a cost per year basis it's the cheapest accessory I've ever bought.

DSC_9196.JPG

Edited by rl
spelling
  • Like 2

On 20/11/2019 at 20:09, JamesF said:

And perhaps not by coincidence, an 11m Type 6 has just popped up on AB&S!

James

That is just typical, likewise just after I ordered and paid for my Esprit 150 a second-hand came up, especially as I hadn't seen a second hand one advertised for several months previously.

One reason I bought the11mm Type 6 when I did was that, apart from the Tele Vue sale, it looked as if it might the last new one available with them being discontinued, and second hand ones could become as rare as great auks and pricey.

John 

Edited by johnturley