Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Apollo 11 mm eyepiece

Jarvo

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They should have given it a black and white checker colour scheme like the Saturn5

Totally agree on that, then, only then i might get one, drives the cool factor way up.

Edited by Sunshine

On 14/08/2019 at 18:05, JamesF said:

I'm not sure I like the look of the undercut on that, I have to say.

James

I'm glad they finally went with a screw-off 2" inch skirt like the ones on the AstroTech AF70 and similar eyepieces (Omegon Redline SW, etc.).  I despise the Televue dual skirt design that dates back to the original 13mm Nagler T1:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Now that’s interesting. How did he end up with that EP before everyone else? It’s a shame they didn’t mention the connection between the moon and the Tele Vue equipment he was using. Would have made for a great story (especially for the US audience).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buzzard75 said:

Nice movie and I did see the Apollo 11 eyepiece, briefly. I wonder if the young man is connected with the Tele Vue company in any way ?

The reactions were great - thats why I love doing outreach :grin:

Mind you, they react like that when more ordinary eyepieces being used as well !

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John said:

Nice movie and I did see the Apollo 11 eyepiece, briefly. I wonder if the young man is connected with the Tele Vue company in any way ?

The reactions were great - thats why I love doing outreach :grin:

Mind you, they react like that when more ordinary eyepieces being used as well !

I saw his original reaction video he did in California several months ago. I think we all get a kick out of the reactions from people looking at the moon or the planets for the first time. I've probably said it before, but we had one lady start crying.

I saw this video yesterday for the first time though. I just happened to catch the black and green of the eyepiece and realized it was a TV. I stopped it on that particular frame and that's when I saw the Apollo 11 marking. I have no idea how he managed to get one other than him working for TV or Nagler giving him one. Nagler is supposedly notorious for handing out new equipment and letting people try it out at star parties.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2019 at 14:11, Jarvo said:

Hi all. 

I was wondering if anyone (particularly our beloved FLO chums) has a release date for this little eyepiece. 

Magazines say “due in the Fall” which narrows it down a bit. 

Think there’s only 500 being made so hopefully we will get some over here?

Cheers

Jarvo

As of September 12, they are in production and the initial run of ~30opcs will be delivered to TeleVue some time in the Fall.

Alas, at this writing, we still have not retail price. 

On 23/08/2019 at 10:32, Buzzard75 said:

I saw his original reaction video he did in California several months ago. I think we all get a kick out of the reactions from people looking at the moon or the planets for the first time. I've probably said it before, but we had one lady start crying.

I saw this video yesterday for the first time though. I just happened to catch the black and green of the eyepiece and realized it was a TV. I stopped it on that particular frame and that's when I saw the Apollo 11 marking. I have no idea how he managed to get one other than him working for TV or Nagler giving him one. Nagler is supposedly notorious for handing out new equipment and letting people try it out at star parties.

It was the pre-production prototype brought to the star party by Al Nagler himself.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 22:11, Jarvo said:

I was wondering if anyone (particularly our beloved FLO chums) has a release date for this little eyepiece. 

Magazines say “due in the Fall” which narrows it down a bit. 

Think there’s only 500 being made so hopefully we will get some over here? 

We are aware of the new eyepiece and are quietly confident we will receive some around Oct/Nov. 

HTH, 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recall similar Whoops and Hollers when John Dobson took his home made Dobs. on to the 
sidewalks of America. Of course Optical Technology  has moved on a pace since those days, but 
nevertheless, the worth of doing this sort of thing is written in the reactions of the people gazing
through the eyepiece of that young man's telescope. It gives a big buzz to those bringing this enlightenment 
to the uninitiated, and it is a great feeling. Outreach workers are doing a fantastic job of taking the mystery out 
of Astronomy, and thus seeding new amateurs  to this great way of life.
Great Video.👍
Ron.

• 1 month later...

Well chaps : turns out my 'guesstimate' price of £899 wasn't too far wide of the mark.

I'm hearing (From the CN site) it will ship in December, and will cost.....

.........wait for it..........drumroll..........

$1245 USD  😲

Thats around £970 at the current exchange rate.

Good lord above.

We must be bonkers.

I won't be buying one : it will be interesting how many make it over the pond to the UK

but i bet they all get snapped up pretty sharpish !

Seriously though.

I have the un-Apollo 11 version.

Is there a significant difference to warrant the ten fold increase in price?

Yep, it'll have Apollo 11 written on it.

Is the glass made from silica gathered from the moon hand polished by the man in moon himself?! 

Or better still, hand polished on the thighs of Al Nagler!

:D

• Haha 1

Nothing is ever 10x as good as anything else IMHO.

Take a Skywatcher 102mm F/9.8 achro refractor and a Tak FC-100DL - 10x the price difference easily but is the Tak 10x better (whatever that might mean) ?.

Zeiss ZAO 10mm orthos go for around £400 or more each these days on the used market. Are they 10x better than a Baader Classic 10mm ?. I sincerely doubt it.

The Apollo 11 will sell because it's a limited edition and is thought to be iconic of a very well respected family company and of Al Nagler who did have a role in the Apollo programme. Many won't come out of their packaging much I suspect.

The market for them will be very limited worldwide but there are only 500 eyepieces so supply will probably match demand in the end.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tubby Bear said:

So $1245 in the US and £1400 - £1500 over here........??

Somebody's taking the michael.

Vat and customs duty at around 25% offset the exchange rate difference so the difference is about £200. Still disappointing the difference is this much.

Edited by GavStar