Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SpaceX CRS-18 passing over the UK

melsky

After watching the launch for Cape Canaveral I knew CRS-18 would pass over the UK as the ISS had done an overhead pass only 30 minutes earlier, the only doubt was if the cloud cleared and it would be high enough to be illuminated by sunlight. Well it was spectacular, the RCS thrusters we’re pushing out circular plumes of glowing blue gas as the course corrections fired as the Dragon capsule, second stage and the two tumbling side shrouds passed over. If you look very carefully there are two or three pinpoints of light behind and to the left, any ideas as to what these might be? All to quickly it moved into the earths shadow and faded from view but ai was still able to track it for a short while.

Mel

• Like 19

That's fantastic Mel, you did really well to track that so clearly.

I watched the launch online, but had no idea it was passing over the UK. How do you find that out, just by know that ISS orbit was well placed?

Nice! I was surprised at the detail you captured. I guess it was still below final orbital altitude.

I was working a night shift last night and got a heads-up from youtube about the launch so watched it live. I saw the track heading our way and got a bit excited until I saw there was still a solid overcast :(

I shouldnt complain, I know im fortunate to be able, when time and weather permits, to walk out and see a rocket head into orbit!

But that said, that's an unbelievable sight you get to see. By the time it comes back over us, its basically in orbit, so no thrusters firing!

I'm so jealous. Thanks for posting it so I do get to see it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's fantastic Mel, you did really well to track that so clearly.

I watched the launch online, but had no idea it was passing over the UK. How do you find that out, just by know that ISS orbit was well placed?

Yes, this is the third time I've managed to capture a Dragon spacecraft with RCS jets firing, we have to have a favourable ISS pass timed with the sun being not too low below the horizon so that the craft is not illuminated and most crucially of all a clear sky, I've missed a few due to bad weather. This is by far the best capture I've managed, several people have mentioned the thruster firings were easily visible in binoculars.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, melsky said:

Yes, this is the third time I've managed to capture a Dragon spacecraft with RCS jets firing, we have to have a favourable ISS pass timed with the sun being not too low below the horizon so that the craft is not illuminated and most crucially of all a clear sky, I've missed a few due to bad weather. This is by far the best capture I've managed, several people have mentioned the thruster firings were easily visible in binoculars.

Thanks Mel. What do you use to capture it?

16 minutes ago, melsky said:

I was using my Sony A7s with a canon 200mm F2.8 lens 1/15 @51,200 iso

Just handheld? Steady hands you've got if it was, or were you using a tripod?