Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MAN ON THE MOON.

Geoff Barnes

After a bit of searching through cupboards and old boxes I managed to find my 50 year old souvenir edition of Man on the Moon.

Has anyone else still got one I wonder? I'd like to post photos of every page but there are 65 of them, so here are the front and back covers...

WIN_20190720_12_21_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.6da0324d340cd41d6971e7f2690a77bd.jpg

WIN_20190720_12_22_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.2f40eff8b5c24f8076dc89529f9a2b0d.jpg

Sorry about my ugly mug, should have held it in front of my face, but then I wouldn't be able to see what was on the screen. :) 

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 14

I still have a book dedicated to the Apollo 11 landing by the Gulf Oil Company which my parents bought for for me in 1969.  Its in storage so I can't  access it for a photo today, however, I do have a tangible piece of of Apollo 11 history which I received from a fellow trap shooter, hunting buddy & great friend  who was a public relations officer for Nasa at the time.  After the astronauts returned, metal from the spacecrafts was melted and Medallions made, which I understand were to be given to those who had made a significant contribution to the success of the mission.  I am grateful that Lou chose me to be the caretaker of his medallion, and when the time comes, to pass it on to a worthy recipient.

Apollo 11 Medallion.JPG

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

• Like 4

Still have a couple of "standard" books I bought for myself at the time.
Both good in their own way... The US perspective and UK perspective?
Former more detailed... the latter has a "complete" mission transcript. 😎

IMG_1049.JPG.c4bdf56ed958d88595c7a6f5d6d8c7c4.JPG

Hey, I can still do an fair *impression* of Neil A's  "One Small step..." etc.
Complete vocal impression with "static"! lol. I doubt I'm unique in that? 😸 

• Like 3

I wonder I young Neil had formed that now historic statement prior to the landing, or did he utter those words when his feet touched the lunar surface. There was a tentative pause after, "That's One Small Step For Man".

Ron.

17 minutes ago, barkis said:

I wonder I young Neil had formed that now historic statement prior to the landing, or did he utter those words when his feet touched the lunar surface. There was a tentative pause after, "That's One Small Step For Man".

Ron.

Neil apparently claimed to have made it on the spot more or less but according the documentary of his life his brother said he tried it out on him before he left.

Dave

• Like 1

I tend to lean towards his brother's claim Davy.  Although, the phrase was so Apt. for that historic moment, Neil's creative mind could well have brought it forth in an instant. Perhaps we won't ever no one way or the other.

I have some of the newspapers and magazines printed at the time of the Apollo 11 mission. My dad made a point of collecting and keeping them. I'll have to dig them out and remind myself what they covered. I've got a couple of samples of moon rock but those were from meteorites - as we know US law prohibits the private ownership of samples returned by the Apollo missions apart from the few official samples that were gifted as diplomatic gestures by the US government at the time.

The most precious things I have though are the memories of this time and the lasting impact they had on me which has resulted in a life long interest in space and astronomy :grin:

• Like 4

Have you listened to the Podcast from the BBC called 13 minutes to the moon?

If you haven’t, I can’t recommend it enough.  It is very good and comes in 13 x 45min episodes...  Some amazing detail and interviews with both those who were I. The foreground and the folks who worked behind the scenes.

My mum said she still has copies of some of the original newspapers that were issued to commemorate the landing would SGLers be interested if I took some photos if she dug them out?  

• Like 1

I have a great collection of newspaper cuttings and magazine articles leading up to and post the landing (as well as cuttings related to the earlier Apollo missions) that I have been looking back over this weekend  - it has been great fun! Here's an example:-

Telegraph.thumb.png.dc23fec11d0e2fdfbd33a73a584851b5.png

Telegraph_2.thumb.png.0a3e1cfb31fb4999a233affac3bd13af.png

Review.thumb.png.20b7744e72a64e7ba8fb490a9b0ce3ac.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1