Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tablet verses handset controlled scopes.

Hello all, 

After years using handsets to align and control telescopes, I recently had some experience using one of the newer generation wifi controlled telescopes which enable you to do the same job using your phone or tablet! 

Now this all sounds very exciting and forward thinking on the face of it, but I personally developed some strong opinions about these wifi scopes after trying to use one on a couple of occasions. 

Now the thing is, many of these wifi scopes are clearly marketed towards newcomers to Astronomy, and this begs the question - are they really a viable alternative to the good old hand controller? 

My concern is that these new general of wifi scopes are going to frustrate and disappoint newcomers, just like department toy telescopes have done before them, only in a different way. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately progress isn't always improvement!

I have a big Newt on an NEQ6 mount which as we all know includes a Synscan handset. Easy to use, particularly if you are lazy like me and have the GPS module too.

Anyway, a while ago I decided I'd like to control it via SkySafari on my cheap, old Android tablet. With the help of a few Linux gurus here on SGL I used a RasPi I had lying around waiting for a purpose to act as a WiFi interface to the mount. I got it working and it works a treat. Bit of a nuisance with getting it all talking nicely before a session but makes GoTo an absolute dream.

But there are downsides. Handling a big touchscreen takes two hands and unintended contact with the screen can have very undesired consequences! :( The tablet also sleeps after a short while requiring constantly re-entering the pin number (all internet capable devices in the house are strictly password/pin protected for child safeguarding reasons).

I agree that some of the complications of WiFi connectivity and 3rd party apps might be too much for beginners. But I think that electronic GoTo mounts are too much for many beginners anyway! I've lost count of the number of threads regarding novices struggling to set up GoTo mounts. 

When I was starting out I learned the basics of equatorial mounts long before I owned one. I already understood the need for polar alignment and knew all about RA and DEC. I knew all about the sky and planetarium apps before I tried marrying my tablet to my mount. 

It's a lot for novices to take in all at once!

• Like 1

Inclined to agree with you. I was delighted with the SW WiFi module when I first tried it, but went back to the hand controller after a few sessions- mainly because I found touchscreens don't work so well in cold damp conditions. 

• Like 2

Interesting to read these posts, as they echo my feelings and experience!  I tried WiFi control, and found it inconvenient in so many ways (lengthy alignment, lack of detail in software, awkward to hold and use, screen glow, wild slewing, and connection dropping out).  The only good thing about it was the GPS, so I sold it and bought a GPS module.  That with the handset, backed up with Stellarium or Sky Safari for reference is far better for me.  

Doug.

• Like 1

Having used both I now prefer to use either my ipad or iphone. I only use them for visual use, as I use a Windows laptop for imaging/spectroscope work.

I don't have any problems with the touch screens in cold/damp weather. Both devices work well, with no disconnects. 

8 hours ago, Paul M said:

The tablet also sleeps after a short while requiring constantly re-entering the pin number (all internet capable devices in the house are strictly password/pin protected for child safeguarding reasons).

Mine are also password/pin protected, but don't sleep. I believe there is a feature in SkySafari or in the Operating System which prevents this.

Eric.

• Like 1

I only recently got an Ioptron AZpro which has handset but can be controlled by wifi skysafari.  I feel the wifi with an Ipad and skysafari plus (not the latest version 6 as this doesn't work with ioptron mount) works brilliantly for me.  I like double stars and the ioptron handset catalogue is limited as it doesn't have SAO catalogue it has HIP instead.  I have the Cambridge double star atlas and this lists SAO numbers so wifi is easier because I can set up an observing list in skysafari using the SAO numbers straight from the Cambridge atlas.  There are also many other downloadable lists for sky safari that others have put together.  That said, I agree that there are limitations especially in the cold and damp.  For the moment on balance i'm favouring wifi.  I've set my tablet not to sleep, so don't have this issue.

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ejp1684 said:

I believe there is a feature in SkySafari or in the Operating System which prevents this.

Ah, maybe you are right my memory is telling me something too.

I know the tablet can be set up to prevent sleep or adjust the sreen idle time, I will have a look to see if Skysafari has a prevent sleep function, that would be better for my use.

EDIT:

I've found "prevent sleep" option in SkySafari. Settings : Appearance & Behavior : Behavior : Prevent Sleep 

Edited by Paul M

My handsets have never said to me, 'Device not recognized,' and they have never turned bright blue. I'm a handset man. ArgoNavis for preference. Everone else uses buttons, they use a scrolling wheel. They are right!

Olly

• Like 1

The wifi modules do offer other benifits. You can connect them to your home wifi and access them using PC based or tablet software from indoors. So if a bit of photography is planned etc. There is great potential here. Personnally I find touch screens a bit un responsive. Button are tactile you can find the move buttons without looking at the screen. Which makes centering an object simple thing. I probably want both!

On 10/07/2019 at 09:22, Trikeflyer said:

I feel the wifi with an Ipad and skysafari plus (not the latest version 6 as this doesn't work with ioptron mount) works brilliantly for me.  I like double stars and the ioptron handset catalogue is limited as it doesn't have SAO catalogue it has HIP instead.  I have the Cambridge double star atlas and this lists SAO numbers so wifi is easier because I can set up an observing list in skysafari using the SAO numbers straight from the Cambridge atlas.  There are also many other downloadable lists for sky safari that others have put together.  That said, I agree that there are limitations especially in the cold and damp.  For the moment on balance i'm favouring wifi.  I've set my tablet not to sleep, so don't have this issue.

I mostly prefer the handset when using the EQ5 or AZGTi as I prefer to use the tactile buttons on the handset.  

Like Steve, I also like doubles and am fortunate in the fact that the Synscan handset contains the SAO catalogue, though with a few little quirks.

However, when I'm using the Sissy Haas double star book, she uses several different catalogues so I tend to connect a SkyFi unit to the Handset and then use Sky Safari on an old iPhone to find stuff from the other catalogues.

Whilst this is not as tidy as the Synscan WiFi module (as the SkyFi is quite large and needs the Skywatcher Serial Cable plugging in to the handset, this method has the advantage that it lets me use either the handset or the phone without having to power down, disconnect and re-align, etc.

I saw a post on here (that I can't find now) that recommended using the sticky feet that you find on the bottom of glass drinks coasters and the like to act as markers for the direction buttons on the phone screen to allow you to control direction by touch alone.

I believe that @Ross gould is or at least was using this method and found that it made a world of difference.

Ade