NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows 10 Update 1903

PeterCPC

Had one the other night don't know what it did except turn my EBay icon into an explorer icon,  removed a couple of icons that were pinned to the task bar, and disconnected WiFi but it wasn't very big.

Where do they hide update list in Win10 ? so you can see what it's done or at least it's number, used to be easy to find in Win7.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Had one the other night don't know what it did except turn my EBay icon into an explorer icon,  removed a couple of icons that were pinned to the task bar, and disconnected WiFi but it wasn't very big.

Where do they hide update list in Win10 ? so you can see what it's done or at least it's number, used to be easy to find in Win7.

Dave

It's in Settings - Update

Peter

After the install, my NVIDIA graphics card was reset to limited dynamic range (16-235). I had to set that back to full (0-255) to make the 'pop' return to the colours on my screen.

If you have a flatscreen and use NVIDIA you might want to try this:

Go to the NVIDIA control panel

- In Display > Change resolution > 3. Apply the following settings
   turn on the radio button 'Use NVIDIA color setting'
   Set 'Output dynamic range' to 'Full'
   Click 'Apply' at the bottom of the window

- In Video > Adjust video color setting > How do you make color adjustments?
  turn on the radio button 'With the NVIDIA settings'
  go to the tab 'Advanced' and set the dynamic range to 'Full'

The limited dynamic range, 16-235, is for CRT monitors (old fashioned fish bowl like monitors). CRT monitors can't handle the dynamic full range and may even get damaged by trying to do so. This is why the default is the limited range. On a flat screen, the full range looks much better.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Then have a look using Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Programs and Features \ View Installed Updates

Thanks Julian it was Just some Intel security update.

Dave

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

The 1903 update did disconnect my WiFi also and had to enter my password again and changed a few icons but mostly painless.

Alan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ruud said:

After the install, my NVIDIA graphics card was reset to limited dynamic range (16-235). I had to set that back to full (0-255) to make the 'pop' return to the colours on my screen.

If you have a flatscreen and use NVIDIA you might want to try this:

Go to the NVIDIA control panel

- In Display > Change resolution > 3. Apply the following settings
   turn on the radio button 'Use NVIDIA color setting'
   Set 'Output dynamic range' to 'Full'

- In Video > Adjust video color setting > How do you make color adjustments?
  turn on the radio button 'With the NVIDIA settings'
  go to the tab 'Advanced' and set the dynamic range to 'Full'

The limited dynamic range, 16-235, is for CRT monitors (old fashioned fish bowl like monitors). CRT monitors can't handle the dynamic full range and may even get damaged by trying to do so. This is why the default is the limited range. On a flat screen, the full range looks much better.

Thanks, my lappy has both Nvdia and Intel graphics so have not noticed this issue yet but will have a look.

Alan

18 hours ago, DaveS said:

Mine is still saying 1803. That is *so* last century :sad:.

It will probably not now update to 1903. I have three laptops. This one which is currently running 1809 and is waiting for new drivers to allow it to update to 1903. The 1809 update didn't arrive until Dec 2018 so I suspect it will take a little longer. My best and newest laptop updated without any dramas or hiccups. I also have a 10 year laptop that has some useful programmes on it, which can't be transferred over to one of the others, runs 1803 and will probably not get any more updates. The latest update to 1809 has a useful feature which will now give notifications for when 1903 will be available to download for your computer so there is no need to try and manually install 1903 yourself.

31 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Currently showing 89%, but I'm not sure if that's the download or the installation. Windoze update asst did give my computer the thumbs up though.

When I first tried to update this laptop manually using Windows assist I got the full download and it then proceeded to update, got to 48% complete and then failed.

Finished updating OK, yes, it looks like a complete new OS.

Edit: It's a new nano PC that I will be using to control my imaging rig, when I can afford a new license for Maxim DL and PinPoint. No files to get trashed yet.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

I had an issue with defender's tamper protection. It was switched off. I turned it back on. 

If yours was also switched off after the upgrade, you'll have a yellow instead of a green shield on your Windows Security icon in the notification area of the taskbar.

More people have this. See:

https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/133397-defender-tamper-protection-1903-a.html

---

EDIT

I ran into another glitch. I have a 4K monitor, so I use scaling to avoid miniature system fonts and tiny buttons. After trying out different combinations of make text bigger and make everything bigger (both in settings > ease of access) I settled for text at 100% and everything at 150%, which was where I started from.

Although I changed nothing in the end, the experiment messed up the icon spacing on my desktop. The icons ended up about 450 pixels apart, horizontally and vertically. That's way too widely spaced.

This is a nasty bug. The only way to remedy this problem is by changing values in the registry (using regedit.exe) and if you make a mistake editing the registry, windows may stop working altogether.

If you have the same problem happen to you: In the registry editor, navigate to the location as in the screenshot below and change the two marked values. The first one is for horizontal spacing, the second for vertical spacing and the units are probably twentieths of a pixel (twips, but I'm not sure). You must enter two negative values.  With the values -1280 for horizontal spacing and -1128 for vertical you get narrowly spaced icons. That's good for me, I like to arrange my icons in compact clusters.

1316755936_Desktopicongrid-spacing.thumb.png.83c0155a68647bae7a74b6bbea16e0bb.png

Edited by Ruud
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ruud said:

I had an issue with defender's tamper protection. It was switched off. I turned it back on. 

If yours was also switched off after the upgrade, you'll have a yellow instead of a green shield on your Windows Security icon in the notification area of the taskbar.

More people have this. See:

https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/133397-defender-tamper-protection-1903-a.html

Thanks Ruud, mine was turned off too.

Alan