NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Had a fun time with the telescope last night

JOC

So I held a garden party last night.  I had toyed with the idea of getting the telescope out, but the clouds were grim for most of the night and even rained on us.  

So around 11pm when the clouds were patchy I caught a son and his father pointing at the moon and discussing what the bright point at about 7 o'clock from the moon was.  No better excuse for making the effort - says me (having just caught a quick look at a SGL posting a couple of days ago that jupiter was currently close to the moon) confidently "Nah.....I don't think that's Venus I think that's Jupiter" says 'dad' "If I had my binoculars I could have a look I can see the points that are moons with my binoculars"  ( think std. bird watching bins being discussed) "says I, not letting the cat out of the bag "Well I still think it's Jupiter and if you give me ten mins I think I can prove it to you"  So I've got all my nice organised boxes inside now so I raid the 35mm Celestron, and 10mm BST (light EP's easier to steady the scope), the finders and the EP adapter and get son to raid the telescope from the porch which has been open all night.  He carried it all the way to the field for me - no point in battling the trees as well as the clouds.  Cue Ooooos and ahhhs.... they didn't know I owned anything like the Dob.  Of course the moon is up too - easier through the lighter cloud drifts than Jupiter so we start these - so of course they are blown away even at 35mm not to mention 10mm, and during grabs between the clouds Jupiter is quite superb - 2 very clear bands and at least 4 moons.   In the finish the whole party comes to look - all really amazed at both moon and Jupiter and stunned to see things in such detail.  Lots of enquiries as to where you get such telescopes etc.  I did mention FLO of course and told them where not to get such things.  I guess we were at it around 40 mins. but everyone that wanted to had a good look at both objects, and I think it was really worthwhile getting the scope out.

Edited by JOC
  • Like 12

Nice one JOC.
I looked out last night as the cloud partly cleared and considered asking for help with setting up.
Didn't as unsure how long the gaps would last.
At present I am not very mobile as have joint issues after a serious bout of food poisoning, hence need the help.
Just hope the needing help passes and I get back to how I was before this.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, JOC said:

So I held a garden party last night.  I had toyed with the idea of getting the telescope out, but the clouds were grim for most of the night and even rained on us.  

So around 11pm when the clouds were patchy I caught a son and his father pointing at the moon and discussing what the bright point at about 7 o'clock from the moon was.  No better excuse for making the effort - says me (having just caught a quick look at a SGL posting a couple of days ago that jupiter was currently close to the moon) confidently "Nah.....I don't think that's Venus I think that's Jupiter" says 'dad' "If I had my binoculars I could have a look I can see the points that are moons with my binoculars"  ( think std. bird watching bins being discussed) "says I, not letting the cat out of the bag "Well I still think it's Jupiter and if you give me ten mins I think I can prove it to you"  So I've got all my nice organised boxes inside now so I raid the 35mm Celestron, and 10mm BST (light EP's easier to steady the scope), the finders and the EP adapter and get son to raid the telescope from the porch which has been open all night.  He carried it all the way to the field for me - no point in battling the trees as well as the clouds.  Cue Ooooos and ahhhs.... they didn't know I owned anything like the Dob.  Of course the moon is up too - easier through the lighter cloud drifts than Jupiter so we start these - so of course they are blown away even at 35mm not to mention 10mm, and during grabs between the clouds Jupiter is quite superb - 2 very clear bands and at least 4 moons.   In the finish the whole party comes to look - all really amazed at both moon and Jupiter and stunned to see things in such detail.  Lots of enquiries as to where you get such telescopes etc.  I did mention FLO of course and told them where not to get such things.  I guess were were at it around 40 mins. but everyone that wanted to had a good look at both objects, and I think it was really worthwhile getting the scope out.

Now that's what our hobby is all about.

Glen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

At present I am not very mobile as have joint issues after a serious bout of food poisoning, hence need the help.

Poor you, as you know I am not far away, if the withdrawal symptoms get too bad and we get a potentially great night give me a call.

• Thanks 1

Excellent! Spread the word and the knowledge!

Late last month after 4 days of trying, things worked out for my #1 SIL's parents to look through my 8" DOB.

I think it could have been their first time, ever to look through a telescope!

It got me how they would step back from the telescope and look up at the tiny bright speck that really had rings around it.

Made me smile!

• Like 2