Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helping friend with new teleacope

I agree with Gordon, this is a great telescope to 'begin' with, however it is not a 'beginners' scope in the truest sense because of its huge potential, which rises far above the scope (pun intended) of every other 'beginners' instrument (avoiding using the pun again).  You cannot go wrong with this telescope, as Gordon says, if ever there was a scope for life, this is the one!

• Like 1

I think it would be a good idea for your friend to join the forum and ask questions himself.

The SW200 dob is a good scope and I fully agree with the earlier posts.

But if your friend has to carry it down 3 flights of stairs from a tiny flat and he tips the scales at 40Kg, it is not a good choice.

He would not be the first one to say 'oh dear' when he realises just how big it is in front of him, rather than on a screen and has to think about storage and handling.

When your friend has a read through some of the many 'first/beginner scope choices' threads on SGL, he will be able to make an informed decision.

David.

• Like 3

A 200mm dobsonian is an awesome scope, get your friend to download Stellarum or similar planetarium software and read the book "Turn Left at Orion" some earlier versions of the book can be downloaded online free and are indeed still very useful.

Best of Luck and Clear Skies of course both of you :-)  

Freddie...