SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar setup questions

I am thinking about a solar setup. The only thing I have used thus far has been an ST80 with Baader solar foil and I am looking for the next step up. I didn't like the approach with solar foil as I permanently attached the foil to the ST80 as I was too worried about a removable filter falling off! So my ST80 become solar only, and when I needed the scope for nocturnal duties the foil came off and never went on again.

I had only seen the Baader Herschel Wedge so I always assumed they were out of my price range. The other day I spotted this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9409_TS-Optics-1-25--Solar-Prism-with-Polarizing-and-Narrowband-Filter.html

It seems an incredible deal if you compare it to the price of equivalent parts: Lunt 1.25 wedge, ND3 filter, Baader Solar Continuum Filter and Polarizing Filter, which total up to roughly double the cost.

Has anyone used the TS wedge? I want to think it will be great, but the price is a bit too good to be true, and I have bought TS brand several times now and been left feeling slightly disappointed each time...

For eyepiece, I am thinking of getting a 7.2-21.5 zoom with Baader 2.25 barlow. I hear the zoom barlows very well, and if I use other filters with the wedge it will mean less fiddling. I will use a home made solar finder.

Edited by Ags

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I think @Littleguy80 has the TS wedge and has been very pleased with it.

Yep, been very pleased with mine. Amazing detail. Well beyond my expectations. My only (very minor) gripe is the continuum filter is stacked with the ND filter in a single cell meaning you have to use it. The continuum filter means you have a green sun with no option of a more natural colour. This is very much a personal taste issue. I’m going to buy a separate ND3 filter so I can swap back and forth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ags said:

Isn't the eyepiece angle a bit awkward on the Lacerta?

Slight angle to a normal diagonal with my WO 132 I think it is more comfortable.

I do like mine.

Looks like the Lacerta is just as good and a lot cheaper. Still not convinced about the viewing angle with it though - from my garden I only see the sun at higher elevations and my tripod is short so I doubt the view will be comfortable. @Littleguy80, glad to hear the TS one works for you. Have you been able to compare it to any other kit (solar foil, other wedges?)

I am leaning toward the TS one now - EUR 139 all in is very tempting.

9 minutes ago, Ags said:

Looks like the Lacerta is just as good and a lot cheaper. Still not convinced about the viewing angle with it though - from my garden I only see the sun at higher elevations and my tripod is short so I doubt the view will be comfortable. @Littleguy80, glad to hear the TS one works for you. Have you been able to compare it to any other kit (solar foil, other wedges?)

I am leaning toward the TS one now - EUR 139 all in is very tempting.

No this is my first solar setup. I bought it off @johninderby so I’m sure he could give you an idea on how it compares to the Lacerta. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned the Baader, Lacerta and TS. Favoutite was the 2” Lacerta but best budget buy was the TS. Found the 2” Lacerta matched the Baader in performance visually but perhaps very slightly better for imaging.

For the money the TS with it’s included filters is a great deal though.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

The TS also comes with a circular polarising filter. 

The Larcerta requires the polarising filter as an extra. One question for my own understanding. The filter with the TS is described as a circular polarising filter. As you turn the eyepiece with the filter attached the view dims or brightens due to the polarising effect of the filter. When buying a polariser for the Lacerta, does it need to be a "circular polarising filter" or will a normal single polariser work? Normally you need two polarising filters stacked to get that effect.

The wedge polarizes the light, so you only need one polarizing filter.

@johninderby, narrowing it down to the TS and Lacerta options, why did you prefer the Lacerta?

Edited by Ags
  • Thanks 1

Just a single filter is need as the wedge itself acts as the other half of the polarising setup.

I’ve not used the 1.25” Lacerta but imagine it would give similar performance to the 2”. By the time you’ve added the filter to the 1.25” Lacerta you are well over 200 though.

• Thanks 1

The Lacerta has better contrast than the TS and will show a bit more detail. The TS is a well built unit though and I would rate it as similar. to the Lunt. The Baader and the Lacerta are just that bit better.

I read dark tales that an ST80 can self-immolate if there is no full-aperture solar filter and the Sun gets "off axis".  Scare story or cautionary tale?

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

I read dark tales that an ST80 can self-immolate if there is no full-aperture solar filter and the Sun gets "off axis".  Scare story or cautionary tale?

I'm struggling to be convinced.  Partly because there's precious little that will actually burn and partly because off-axis the energy is likely to be spread over a larger area then when on-axis.  If I ever see an ST80 come up for sale cheap though (and I don't want it for a guidescope), I shall buy it and set it up pointing at the Sun and see if the OTA bursts into flame as it drifts off.

James

15 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm struggling to be convinced.  Partly because there's precious little that will actually burn and partly because off-axis the energy is likely to be spread over a larger area then when on-axis.  If I ever see an ST80 come up for sale cheap though (and I don't want it for a guidescope), I shall buy it and set it up pointing at the Sun and see if the OTA bursts into flame as it drifts off.

James

Come on give it a go with one of these. Think you might end up with a puddle of plastic though. 😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phenix-360x50mm-HD-Refraction-Monocular-Astronomical-Telescope-Spotting-Scope/312581430547?epid=1981166645&hash=item48c74e1d13:g:LV8AAOSwG7NcvSua

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

So, pull the diagonal so the drawtube is empty, point it at the Sun and allow it to drift out of view and you reckon it would start to melt?

James