Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar setup questions

8 minutes ago, Ags said:

Maybe I should play it safe and put one of these on the front of the scope:

https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p497122/hoya-uv-ir-cut-filter-77mm

I wouldn't bother, personally.  I've had no problems using a wedge with my ST120.  If you're really worried about what happens off-axis, then when you're done observing just point the OTA east of the Sun or at the ground.

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's decided - I am getting a TS Herschel Wedge.  For now I will use it with the ES 6.7/82 eyepiece, giving 60x magnification. To be honest I'm not sure my ST80 can take much more mag than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used a Herschel wedge with a st80 and it was fine. The only thing of note was it was close to running out of in focus so not many eyepieces worked. I mostly use my st120 with the wedge for solar.

One comment I would add is that I went for a  1.25" wedge as it doesn't take up as much light path as a 2".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ags said:

Given the Brewster angle of the Lacerta, I think its optical path would be longer than a 90° wedge.

Not in my experience. I can reach focus with my DSLR plugged into the Lacerta 1.25" wedge but not so with the Lunt 90° version.

It arrived yesterday and looks like a solid, well-built unit. I was surprised to see the back plate was made of plastic, but I guess it's not a bad thing it is not thermally conductive - that's what the heat vents are for. Looking down the eyepiece barrel I could immediately see the ND3 was not factory fitted but it only took a minute to fit it myself. Still, I think it should be fitted before shipping to help prevent any tragic accidents. It looks like I won't be able to try the unit out until Sunday at the earliest.

2 hours ago, Ags said:

It arrived yesterday and looks like a solid, well-built unit. I was surprised to see the back plate was made of plastic, but I guess it's not a bad thing it is not thermally conductive - that's what the heat vents are for. Looking down the eyepiece barrel I could immediately see the ND3 was not factory fitted but it only took a minute to fit it myself. Still, I think it should be fitted before shipping to help prevent any tragic accidents. It looks like I won't be able to try the unit out until Sunday at the earliest.

Was your final choice the Lacerta?