Hello astronomers,

This exposure of the Orion Nebula region is really just a quick and lazy session since I didn't want to waste a clear night by doing nothing and the scope was already setup and focused so I wouldn't be spending much time on setup. I also didn't have a plan for imaging another object it seemed like a good idea being a bright and easy object to image.

I already imaged this object in the past, but by comparing the setup, procedure and improved tracking accuracy of the past together with the now cooled 40D, I know that the result would have been an improvement if I would have dedicated the necessary exposure time, through the necessary NB filters.

This image consists of all RGB or OSC (through the IRCut filter) 31x15s, 32x30s, 16x60s, 10x90s, 11x120s ISO1600 subs. 

I am not prepared to spend subsequent nights capturing narrowband subs on "Orion's Sword", at least not this year... perhaps next time M42 is in the sky and only if I reach near freezing temperature cooling on my sensor.

Clear skies,

MG 

Orion Nebula RGB 15Feb2019 Frm.jpg

Archived