Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky camping sites

Trikeflyer

Hi, I’m looking for some dark sky camp sites to stay at this year.  I don’t think I’m going to be able to get to any star parties due to timing. Can anyone recommend any good camping sites to stay at. I live in the West Midlands so Scotland is probably out due to distance but most other places will be do able.  If you know of anywhere and ar3 happy to share the details please can you post a link for me.

Thanks

Steve 

Hi Steve, have a look at Wimbleball Lakeedge of Exmoor National Park. The National Park people do some of their astronomy outreach sessions there.

Facilities are reasonable, but you need to chose a time when there are no other events on (sailing competitions etc).

Ray

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, estwing said:

Pencelli sorry...or one that a few have been raving about is Forest field which is closer to you.

Just in case of cloud, Pencelli has a pub within 5 mins walk!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

If you have some bush wheels for that Cub, there's room to land at Forest Fields; first checking with the management of course. :dontknow:

That sounds perfect! Don’t have any bush wheels though! 

Thanks 

The op has probably seen this... http://gostargazing.co.uk/regions/north-west-england/

However if so it may be useful to others. Pick your region, or the area you're interested in and the dark sky sites are pinned. Search Google for campsites near each pin you fancy visiting. There's several I intend to visit this year in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Snowdonia and the closest to me, Bowland. Through the year I'll try to drop in and leave a mini review for the camp sites I've managed to visit.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

Guest chaz2b
On 04/05/2019 at 11:49, m1dlj said:

Hi Steve, have a look at Wimbleball Lakeedge of Exmoor National Park. The National Park people do some of their astronomy outreach sessions there.

Facilities are reasonable, but you need to chose a time when there are no other events on (sailing competitions etc).

Ray

Think you’ll be ok, haven’t seen or herd of any night sailing,boating.

get yourself a copy of the Philip’s Dark Skies Map.

www.philips-maps.co.uk

chaz

Edited by chaz2b

On 04/05/2019 at 09:40, Trikeflyer said:

Hi, I’m looking for some dark sky camp sites to stay at this year.  I don’t think I’m going to be able to get to any star parties due to timing. Can anyone recommend any good camping sites to stay at. I live in the West Midlands so Scotland is probably out due to distance but most other places will be do able.  If you know of anywhere and ar3 happy to share the details please can you post a link for me.

Thanks

Steve 

North or Mid Wales- no too far from Brum. Llyn Peninsula is worth a look too. Brecon.....bit near the LP sources in the South

25026413687_cc5fc7a98d_o.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I took the SW 120T with me to Philpin Farm.

Unfortunately the scope stayed in the car boot due to the blanket of grey candy floss covering the skies for the whole weekend.

The campsite itself however was lovely. Very small and quiet with maybe twenty tents pitched all weekend. Mostly walkers as it's situated very near the three peaks.

All pitches are non electric, the toilets were clean and free hot showers 24/7.

The pre ordered cooked breakfeast inc tea/coffee was OK for £4.50. Served in a converted barn also containing a small shop selling essentials.

The link above has plenty of positive reviews and information.

I've no doubt the stargazing would have been amazing for a visiting city dweller, with no town or city skyglow that I could see, and according to Clear Outside, 21.67 Magnitude & Class 4 Bortle.

There were a couple of strong lamps over the barn and toilet doors but the light was localised and wouldn't be too intrusive for a spot of casual visual observing.

Ten minutes walk from the camp there is a great little pub serving good food and a decent pint The Old Hill Inn

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet