Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1101, the largest known galaxy in our Universe.

Nigel G

I have been waiting for this target to come into view, the moon has stopped imaging for now so only 27x240s data so far.

IC1101. 200PDS & ZWO ASI294MC pro on a NEQ6 pro. 

Unity gain, sensor temp -10. 

Stacked in APP and processed in Star Tools.

IC1101 is approximately 6,000,000 light years across and at a distance of 1.04 billion light years from earth, it is the largest known galaxy to mankind.

By far the furthest object I have deliberately imaged. 

Thanks for looking.

Nige.

IC1101-newstack.thumb.jpg.9a051f4d6ce566e07706eb38259b385c.jpg

IC1101-newstack-crop.jpg.694c22dd2c140f1e8d63727992f51335.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, not seeing it?

I loved the choice of object and the fact that amateurs can image such object, although image is a bit over processed for my taste, but after googling the object, I'm not sure I see it in your image.

According to online sources IC1101 is very large elliptical galaxy and your image seem to depict an interacting spiral galaxy? It's also old object, and I don't think there are that much blue stars in it - more like yellow ones.

There seem to be lack of resolution to show Abell 2029 around it if it is indeed IC1101

21 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I loved the choice of object and the fact that amateurs can image such object, although image is a bit over processed for my taste

I don't think the JPEG conversion (presumably when it was uploaded?) has done the image any favours, to be honest.  I'd hope that a PNG might render rather more pleasantly.

James

35 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Huh, not seeing it?

I loved the choice of object and the fact that amateurs can image such object, although image is a bit over processed for my taste, but after googling the object, I'm not sure I see it in your image.

According to online sources IC1101 is very large elliptical galaxy and your image seem to depict an interacting spiral galaxy? It's also old object, and I don't think there are that much blue stars in it - more like yellow ones.

There seem to be lack of resolution to show Abell 2029 around it if it is indeed IC1101

It's low altitude for me atm, to be honest seeing has been poor too so quite poor quality subs, Astrometry plate solve has identified it as IC 1101, the colour mix is most likely completely wrong due to my processing.

The over processing is me and not very good data. I will be targeting this for a good few hours in the coming weeks.

Nige.

images.jpg.3637158bc2271415d7139f1f596b8a4a.jpg Image found on web.595104192_IC1101-bigcrop.jpg.04681a692f1b7214b8443ab6be29179c.jpg Large crop my image.

astrometryIC1101.thumb.jpg.44ad09261b63e627fda4a60a4db761b6.jpg

Plate solved.

22 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I don't think it is either. Have you plate-solved your image?

Edit: What planetarium software are you using?

CDC planetarium software, but it's not listed so I used stars to locate IC1101.

Plate solved and comparison image posted.

Nige. 

Well as anyone who knows me will know, I'm no imager, but I think that's amazing. To get a photo of something that far away.

I also hadn't heard of IC1101 so thanks. 

Great work. Well done.

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

Is all that white background fuzz some sort of nebulosity or background radiation?  I've never seen it on deep space images before.

I'm sure its noise from poor seeing and low altitude in heavy light pollution. 

This was imaged rising over a very large town, with deep orange glow, so few subs at this point too.

A few weeks and it will be better positioned for me.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

OK, I see it too, was confused by the colour, it looked more like a distorted spiral, possibly interacting.

My processing to reduce noise and smooth out the image has probably distorted the entire image. So looking forward to getting some good data on it.

10 minutes ago, Lurcher said:

Well as anyone who knows me will know, I'm no imager, but I think that's amazing. To get a photo of something that far away.

I also hadn't heard of IC1101 so thanks. 

Great work. Well done.

Thank you.

I never new these distances were possible from my back yard in Essex.

I'm well pleased with the early attempt. Can only get better from here :)

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hats off, that is excellent!!  Thanks for sharing something that little bit different.

Thanks, I had to try it and now want lots of data to try for a quality image :) 

22 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I may put this on my hit-list too, for when I get the ODK12, think my current 'scope has too small a scale.

It’s nice to see that it isn’t just us visual boys who get aperture fever!

Great image.

Paul

7 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

It’s nice to see that it isn’t just us visual boys who get aperture fever!

Great image.

Paul

Thanks. I do suffer from aperture fever myself, much preferring my 200 newt to my 80 frac for imaging. :) 

What is the pixel scale on that image?

It would be really interesting to see B/W image, possibly inverted value (white background/dark objects) - just a linear stretch without processing. It would not be as appealing image in visual sense due to noise, but it would maybe make identifying objects a bit easier.

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It would be really interesting to see B/W image, possibly inverted value (white background/dark objects) - just a linear stretch without processing. It would not be as appealing image in visual sense due to noise, but it would maybe make identifying objects a bit easier.

1960-1315. I will try without binning and little processing but data is noisy :) 

1 minute ago, Nigel G said:

1960-1315. I will try without binning and little processing but data is noisy :) 

I meant arc seconds / pixel :D

It does not matter if it's noisy, it's just aesthetics. Any scientific data is noisy, so nothing wrong with that :D

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Here is full size stretched and inverted. I have to convert to jpg to invert with the software I have. Although I can probably keep it as a tiff in PS CR2. 

I see what you mean about identifying with inverted data though :) Those little galaxy's pop out.

I have a routine which I have used for a couple of years so don't often stray from it. Stacking APP - processing Star Tools, then convert to jpg for touch up in Photoshop express which only uses jpg. Photoshop express is how I inverted the image.

Sorry about pixel scale, no idea :) I'll have to research and figure it out.

Nige.

IC1101-newstack-GS_edited.thumb.jpg.f6cb53cec9991980f943e6cb0e2ebef6.jpg

Archived