Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1101, the largest known galaxy in our Universe.

Nigel G

On 19/03/2019 at 12:54, Nigel G said:

I have been waiting for this target to come into view, the moon has stopped imaging for now so only 27x240s data so far.

IC1101. 200PDS & ZWO ASI294MC pro on a NEQ6 pro. 

Unity gain, sensor temp -10. 

Stacked in APP and processed in Star Tools.

IC1101 is approximately 6,000,000 light years across and at a distance of 1.04 billion light years from earth, it is the largest known galaxy to mankind.

By far the furthest object I have deliberately imaged. 

Thanks for looking.

Nige.

Very interesting target, and a great catch. As you already noted, this target deserves more data to do it justice. The misleading colour in the first image is probably caused by the colour calibration routine in Startools. If it's anything like PixInsights colour calibration tool, it tries to model a galaxy as having older and redder stars near the core and younger blue stars on the outside. This should be easy to fix, but is best done when you have more data.

Thanks for sharing

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very interesting target, and a great catch. As you already noted, this target deserves more data to do it justice. The misleading colour in the first image is probably caused by the colour calibration routine in Startools. If it's anything like PixInsights colour calibration tool, it tries to model a galaxy as having older and redder stars near the core and younger blue stars on the outside. This should be easy to fix, but is best done when you have more data.

Thanks for sharing

The colour, I chose as it highlighted the faint fuzz better, it did have a reddish glow rather than blue. 

I'm going to get a good few hours in much better conditions, hopefully a more realistic looking image as a result..

Nige.

Archived