Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving a 150p Skywatcher Dob in Situ?

As mentioned before I have a small back yard and wd need to move any scope from one end to another in the middle of a viewing session. How easy/hard wd that be please? Unfortunately I only have photos of the scope (Never seen one in the flesh) and the weight of 25kg which seens quite heavy!

I move mine 8" dozen meters in one go. It's not quite walk in the park, but it can be done. Weight is not that much of an issue, but awkward way you carry it might be. I do it by grabbing handles with my hands, while base stays between my legs - like I've said - awkward, since you need to walk with legs spread so that base is not hitting your legs.

6" will be lighter still.

47 minutes ago, ericleo1 said:

As mentioned before I have a small back yard and wd need to move any scope from one end to another in the middle of a viewing session. How easy/hard wd that be please? Unfortunately I only have photos of the scope (Never seen one in the flesh) and the weight of 25kg which seens quite heavy!

Eric

I have a SW 10" collapsible dob

I am out couple of times per month doing presentations to scout/guide groups

Dob is easy to move

Just set up base where you want it, then secure the dob

Attached pic taken recently public viewing night with club belong to, on the foreshore 

Various scopes visible in background

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

As @vlaiv points out, it’s not the weight it’s just the awkward nature of the beast. That said, it’s not that difficult and I’m sure you’ll quickly figure out how best to avoid bashing your shins!

Also as mentioned above, there are solutions involving gizmos. But if all else fails move the rig in two parts, separating OTA and base. It’s a faff, I know, but much easier to move around.

28 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I move my 150 Dob around a few feet with no signifant problem. As  vlaiv has said, it’s not the weight but the bulk and the positions of the handles that makes it a bit awkward.

Same with my 10”. It isn’t light, but it is manageable by an average office bound middle aged guy like me (not a flattering description, but you get the idea). Make sure that you choose a design which can be carried by the Alt barings such as the SkyWatchers.

For my 16” Dob, I built a three wheel trolley which makes moving the scope a doddle.

65ED8E3A-25AA-487F-93A5-E55CBDA19057.thumb.jpeg.4ce83091b0bdb29c46de2d6f37953915.jpeg

To achieve acceptable stability, the front wheel assembly unbolts to drop the base onto a handy plank. Tighten the wing nuts and the whole base lifts ready for moving.

Paul

6" Dobs are under 40 pounds fully assembled, so not that big of a deal to pick up.  Just add grab handles to the sides of the rocker box about 2 to 3 feet up, so you can pick it up with both hands and hug it against your body while clearing the ground by about 6 to 8 inches.  If you penguin walk it about, you won't bash your shins.  I move my 45+ pound 8" Dob without too much difficulty in this manner.  It's when I get above 50 pounds that I start having issues.  By comparison, once I put my 15" Dob in position, I don't move it because it weighs over 110 pounds fully assembled.  I could put wheelbarrow handles on it if moving it about was super important to me.

As an example of my 40 pound lifting limit, Morton Salt here in the states recently increased the size of their water softener salt bags from 40 pounds to 45 pounds, and now I'm struggling a bit to hoist them four feet off the ground to dump them into the softener salt bin.  I don't know why they did this, but my back doesn't appreciate it.  If they go to 50 pounds, I'll have to switch brands.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:58, vlaiv said:

I move mine 8" dozen meters in one go. It's not quite walk in the park, but it can be done. Weight is not that much of an issue, but awkward way you carry it might be. I do it by grabbing handles with my hands, while base stays between my legs - like I've said - awkward, since you need to walk with legs spread so that base is not hitting your legs.

FWIW - Wot this ^^^ says is my experience with my 8" too.  Far easier if there are two of you to move them set-up.  A 130P should be a piece of cake in comparison.

Archived