Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Straton Software

I like the sound of this software for dealing with stars but after getting to the General section of the website nothing else seems to work and frankly seems to be defunct:

https://zipproth.com/index.html#Straton_main

I've been trying for a few weeks now, just in case is was something temporary but still nothing.  Does anybody know anything about this and how / where I might get a copy to download, or is there something similar elsewhere?

Thanks, Graham

39 minutes ago, groberts said:

I like the sound of this software for dealing with stars but after getting to the General section of the website nothing else seems to work and frankly seems to be defunct:

https://zipproth.com/index.html#Straton_main

I've been trying for a few weeks now, just in case is was something temporary but still nothing.  Does anybody know anything about this and how / where I might get a copy to download, or is there something similar elsewhere?

Thanks, Graham

I've just been on the site and it works fine. I downloaded the app and all seems well. Do you realise that the app just downloads when you press on the download  link ? It doesn't redirect to another page.

Dave

Curiouser and curiouser, thanks Dave.

Yes I click on download and it shows "Loading ..." but nothing seems to happen, it would suggest perhaps something at my end - firewall?  I use AVG and basic Windows 10 settings but if there's something wrong something usually comes up.  Any ideas please?

Graham

8 minutes ago, groberts said:

Curiouser and curiouser, thanks Dave.

Yes I click on download and it shows "Loading ..." but nothing seems to happen, it would suggest perhaps something at my end - firewall?  I use AVG and basic Windows 10 settings but if there's something wrong something usually comes up.  Any ideas please?

Graham

At least you now know the site is working so yes, it may be at your end. As to why you're having trouble, I don't know. Sorry,

Dave.

I've just clicked on the saved app and it loads up ( I already have Straton so I didn't finish the setup )

Edited by davew

I was seeing the same as you Graham, turned off my add blocker & Avast for 10 minutes, seemed to make no difference, loaded the Straton page again and chose 'show original' in the translate popup, download page opened, software (demo) downloaded OK.   Also on that page is the same link as Carole's above to pay for full version, I have used digital river before and would like to think its the same, no secure connection warning from Avast (back on). 

Edited by Mick J

OK on trying again now managed to get onto the website (not sure what the problem was) which appears to be selling Straton for £14.47 - I thought it was free? 

Anyhow, is it any good, I don't mind paying but would appreciate any thoughts on Straton before buying?

Graham   

What I was hoping for and thought could be done, was to remove stars for stretching etc and then putting them back. 

I already have Annies Astro Actions which already removes stars but permanently, so do I really need Straton too? 

1 hour ago, groberts said:

What I was hoping for and thought could be done, was to remove stars for stretching etc and then putting them back. 

I already have Annies Astro Actions which already removes stars but permanently, so do I really need Straton too? 

Does Annie's put the stars it removes into the memory or just delete them ? You may be able to use the Paste command, if you use Photoshop or similar, to put them back. If it doesn't then you could try layering the starless and processed image over the original image and change the blend to lighten. That should enable the stars to shine through again. Just play around.

I bought Straton because it does what I wanted it to do very well and it will also make a separate star layer if you want it to. ( I haven't used it for a while so don't ask me anything technical :) )

Dave.

7 minutes ago, davew said:

Does Annie's put the stars it removes into the memory or just delete them ? You may be able to use the Paste command, if you use Photoshop or similar, to put them back. If it doesn't then you could try layering the starless and processed image over the original image and change the blend to lighten. That should enable the stars to shine through again. Just play around.

I bought Straton because it does what I wanted it to do very well and it will also make a separate star layer if you want it to. ( I haven't used it for a while so don't ask me anything technical :) )

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

In short I don't know but I think they're just completely removed - I'll go back a take a closer look.  Using this I recently did something along the line you suggest but, being hopeful (and lazy), thought Straton might make it even easier?

Graham

I already have Annies Astro Actions which already removes stars but permanently, so do I really need Straton too? 

Doesn't sound like it.  Straton doesn't save the stars (not to my knowledge anyway), you would need to keep a copy with stars and then copy and paste them back yourself when you are ready to.

Carole 

I've bought the program but can never get it it to do anything other than make a royal mess. This may be my fault but, as things stand, I don't use it. Maybe a case of 'must try harder.' I find it very clunky but Nik Szymanek recommends it and he clearly knows what he's doing - and some.

Olly

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've bought the program but can never get it it to do anything other than make a royal mess. This may be my fault but, as things stand, I don't use it. Maybe a case of 'must try harder.' I find it very clunky but Nik Szymanek recommends it and he clearly knows what he's doing - and some.

Olly

Wish i could get it to work on a regular basis.

I keep going back to it and occasionally get it to work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I've been using it to make star mask for use in PixInsight.. works pretty well. I've always hated making them in PI..

Is there a workflow to get it working you would share?