Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Chalk-/charcoal sketch from Grimaldi to Cavalerius, Feb 17th

acr_astro

Dear all,

yesterday evening, I set up my 5" MAK on the terrace and had a look at the lunar terminator. A cone shedding some light to a dark and large crater attracted me. After doing the sketch, enjoyed looking up the craters in my lunar atlas books and in the "Geologic History of the Moon" (Don E. Wilhelms) to learn a bit about what I have sketched.

Grimaldi:

With a quick check in the maps it turned out to be basin Grimaldi. Named after an Italian physicist and with a diameter of around 170-170 km, this pre-Nectarian basin filled with dark lava (Eratosthenian age) is dominating the western part of the full moon. Yesterday the sun has raised just on the eastern rim of that nice area.

Lohrmann:

North of Grimaldi, a small lentil-shaped, bright crater rim with still black crater floor was popping up from the darkness: This was the crater Lohrmann with a diameter of just 30km which is supposed to be Nectarian age.

Hevelius:

The next crater at the terminator has been the Nectarian crater Hevelius. The surface of that crater named after the famous Polish astronomer Johan Hewelcke (Hevel) is supposed to have formed in later Lower-Imbrian age. Inside the 115km large crater, its central peak and the eastern rim of secondary crater Hevelius A appeared in light above the dark floor.

Cavalerius:

The last crater of the sketched chain further north, Cavalerius, has formed later in Eratosthenian age. Like Grimaldi named after an Italian, this time the mathematician Buonaventura Cavalieri. The diameter of the bright rim is about 60km. The crater floor was still in Lunar darkness.

But now have a look at them:

20190217_Grimaldi_area_01.JPG.128f64f517d6fb6da070f46cde76e4c0.JPG

Telescope: Celestron 5" MAK
Eyepiece: ExploreScientific 14mm/82°
Date & Time: February 17th, 2019 / 2100 - 2210 CET
Technique: Koh-i-Noor chalk and charcoal pens on black 'seawhite of Brighton' sketching paper
Size: 21 cm x 28 cm

Clear skies!

Achim

Achim, this is amazing!

Twice so because yesterday evening I decided to make a hard bristle/camel hair painting on burlap of exactly the same region. As a starting point I used a 4x enlarged computer generated image (#1150 which I found through SVS home) and  Corel painter essentials for the "artwork".
detail detail.png.86a485dd9606d8f1feb674dc771858d7.png 
The burlap is from photoshop. The scene is for 22:00 CET for 17 Feb 2019.

I'd so much like to be able to sketch at your level. At the telescope. That would be so gratifying!

906207735_Hevelius3.thumb.png.0134c42dfc920553d2131722901d7120.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived