Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Panoptic

Sunshine

In anticipation of this coming season with my new Starmaster, i have been keeping my eyes peeled for good eyepieces. My goal is to have a few good eyepieces, i did notice upon using my 24mm Celestron Xcell LX that it just wouldn't cut it in the star master, i replaced it with the Televue 24mm Panoptic which i'm sure will be a better performer. Recently i also bought an 18mm APM ultra wide which i'm told APM's are solid performers, i am waiting on an ES 4.7 82 also, these 3 should be a good start on my adventure with this scope but, as we all know, you never know unless you try them. I do notice it has fairly short eye relief upon looking through it, have to get eyeball right in there to see field stops, not an issue, ill trim down my eyelashes lol.

IMG_5858.JPG

The 24mm APM UFF has plenty of eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but it isn't as sharp to the edge as the Panoptic.  It is better than the 25mm Meade 5000 HD-60, but not miles better.

I've found the 30mm APM UFF to be better than the 27mm Panoptic except perhaps in terms of absolute focused star size.  Even then the 10% power difference makes the comparison difficult.  Otherwise, the APM is flatter of field, has markedly less chromatic aberration at the edge, is wider in terms of AFOV, and is easier to use with eyeglasses.  It is a bit heavier and longer, though.

Another 24mm Panoptic fan here!

It isn’t the best corrected or the sharpest, but somehow the views are utterly charming.

Don’t try to objectively assess this eye piece. Just use it for an hour and if you aren’t smiling, there’s something wrong!?

Paul

31 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Another 24mm Panoptic fan here!

It isn’t the best corrected or the sharpest, but somehow the views are utterly charming.

Don’t try to objectively assess this eye piece. Just use it for an hour and if you aren’t smiling, there’s something wrong!?

Paul

I just wish it had enough eye relief for me to use with eyeglasses since it is such a nice eyepiece.  At that exit pupil size, my eye's astigmatism is raging making stars very spiky.

Archived