Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Encoder upgrade to Orion Optics Dob

Space Hopper

Hi,

I recently posted about adding encoders (to work with my Astro Devices Nexus DSC) to one of my other mounts, an American Discmounts DM6 

I thought it would be nice to add them to my OO Dob (a VX12) so then, when i used the Dob, i could take the Nexus from my DM6, and plug it into Dob, so to speak.

The Astro Devices website lists various commercially available Dobsonian scopes like the Meade Lightbridge, the GSO, and Skywatcher ranges, but not the Orion Optics scopes,

possibly because there are not that many OO scopes in Australia, where Astro Devices are based.

When i ordered my DM6 encoders, i mentioned to Serge Antonov (who runs Astro Devices out of Sydney) that i'd be interested in ordering some for my OO Dob, if , in the future they were to ever list them.

But Serge did better than that : he actually custom made me a set to go with my other order.

He even phoned me up a couple of times, from Australia, to go through a few measurements that he needed to make them up !!

The order arrived quickly : it only took him about a week to make them up, and they arrived in the post only a few days later.

Excellent customer service : i can't recommend Astro Devices enough, and nothing was too much trouble for Serge.

http://www.astrodevices.com/index.html

Astro Devices components are also available through their official UK distributer.

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Categories

Fitting them was simple. An easy upgrade for anyone to do.

Heres the kit :

45737326905_d88585b00e_c.jpg

The Azimuth / RA encoder simply screws on top of the existing bolt that tightens / loosens the Az axis.

It would be better if the existing bolt had a lower profile, but theres enough thread there, and the encoder is also secured, once tightened, with 3 micro screws to keep it in place.

At the other end, a small plate is added into one of the fittings (the centre one) that secure the base of the mount to the side panel

The small plate piece has a screw pin in it. The end of the encoder has a slot which then slides in. It also has a small plastic arm to keep some tension in the encoder.

46668805381_de147dec31_c.jpg   46668805491_ec5e77c74b_c.jpg

Once everything is in place the encoder cable is attached.

45753637735_6acac21c3b_c.jpg  32793913838_0f0294aaf7_c.jpg

The altitude / dec axis is even easier.

A straight metal bar is fitted onto the Dob rings. In the centre, which is the middle of the ring axis,  is a stay,  centre drilled to house the altitude / dec encoder. This is held in place by a convenient thumb screw.

This is handy. When i disassemble the scope and remove the tube from the mount at the end of play, i can simply unscrew the encoder and remove it from the ring altogether, and store it on the Dob base, next to the other one.

Then i can lift the tube out, without the encoder being left in a vulnerable position (where i can bump / damage it)

45753637705_2b7d343367_c.jpg

Another metal stay, with a centre pin in it, is attached to one of the existing pre-drilled holes in the mount, located below the rings.

This was a bit tight, and i had to drill it out a bit.

Once in place, the encoder slots in, as before, and is secured at the other end with the thumb screw, and then the alt / dec encoder cable can be attached.

32793913798_f67a6caaa8_c.jpg  32793913728_d4ac15517f_c.jpg

I purchased another one of those handy little shelves Astro Devices sell, and this attaches, via a small ball head, on to the other side of the mount.

46616171392_7ddfa3ba12_c.jpg

A little bit of cable sorting and routing then takes place (Astro devices even include some clips for this) then a final check over, and connect everything up and we are done ! ?

All in all, this was a doddle to fit ; it took me less than 30 mins.

46668805481_51ee284e32_c.jpg  46616171372_c2c5c49851_c.jpg

I've only had the chance to use the scope twice since i fitted them, but they are performing very well indeed, with about a dozen or so Messiers and NGCs right in there in the eyepiece where i want them.

It pays to read the Nexus manual well, and pick some suitable alignment stars (you only need 2) and centre them carefully with a reticule eyepiece ideally.

If theres anyone who has an OO dob scope and wants to fit a DSC / Nexus system, i can thoroughly recommend Astro Devices.

Thanks for reading, clear skys ??

Edited by Tubby Bear
  • Like 9

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this post, I'm contemplating getting one of the new Rowan AZ100 mounts with the Nexus DSC and was just contemplating how you might attach encoders to an OO UK Dob Mount, so I did a search and your post popped up.

The fact that you can fit encoders to an OO UK Dob makes the AZ100 look even more appealing if I could get encoders for the dob and swap the Nexus DSC between the two. 

Needless to say, I've bookmarked this post.  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks for this post, I'm contemplating getting one of the new Rowan AZ100 mounts with the Nexus DSC and was just contemplating how you might attach encoders to an OO UK Dob Mount, so I did a search and your post popped up.

The fact that you can fit encoders to an OO UK Dob makes the AZ100 look even more appealing if I could get encoders for the dob and swap the Nexus DSC between the two. 

Ade, I am considering the Nexus on my OOUK dob base too.
I was fortunate enough to live near to live near @Scooot, Richard, who kindly demonstrated his in action,
Very simple and very impressive, but did not clear the cloud though!

As you say an encoder enables Alt Az as well as a dob both sharing a Nexus or similar has great kerb appeal.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Hi Ade, this is a guide I have that might Help as well.

Nexus - Encoder Mounting Hardware Instructions 2.pdf

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Scooot said:

Hi Ade, this is a guide I have that might Help as well.

Nexus - Encoder Mounting Hardware Instructions 2.pdf 638.24 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks @Scoot, that's very helpful. I'm just waiting on John's and Stu's  feedback about the AZ100 in addition to seeing it in the flesh as SGLSP19 in a few weeks time before I make a decision. 

If I go that way, it'll be a while before I can afford it so will be looking at mid to late next year for the Dob encoder upgrade.  I may need to get the official OO UK rings and base fittings rather than my hacked approach using SW rings and washers as shims to make it fit properly but the doc you provided will give me an idea of whether I can make it work. 

Thanks again, Ade

14 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks @Scoot, that's very helpful. I'm just waiting on John's and Stu's  feedback about the AZ100 in addition to seeing it in the flesh as SGLSP19 in a few weeks time before I make a decision. 

If I go that way, it'll be a while before I can afford it so will be looking at mid to late next year for the Dob encoder upgrade.  I may need to get the official OO UK rings and base fittings rather than my hacked approach using SW rings and washers as shims to make it fit properly but the doc you provided will give me an idea of whether I can make it work. 

Thanks again, Ade

On a Dob, I personally think using their Nexus via Sky Safari is better rather than the DSC. You then don’t need to type in coordinates, just push the dob to a target that’s visible on the screen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scooot said:

On a Dob, I personally think using their Nexus via Sky Safari is better rather than the DSC. You then don’t need to type in coordinates, just push the dob to a target that’s visible on the screen.

Thanks for the recommendation @Scoot, if I was buying a solution for the Dob only then that's the way I might go because its a lot cheaper and seems an ideal solution but I'm reluctant to not have a standalone head unit. 

However, I'm considering the new AZ100 mount with the DSC, then getting encoders for the Dob so I can use the Nexus DSC head unit with both mounts.

The Nexus DSC also works with SkySafari that way and so the head unit gives a backup for when the phone batteries fail. 

My issue is that I seem to have lots of problems with using SkySafari wirelessly with my Huawei P20 so I'm a bit reluctant to go all in with a unit that requires my phone or a computer to function, unless I've misunderstood the Nexus ii capabilities. 

I had issues with SS and the SynScan app and now I'm having similar issues with my ioptron AZ Pro and SkySafari.  It seems that Huawei have done something clever in the OS which actually causes me issues.  I thought I'd solved it by preventing SS from going to sleep and disconnecting the WiFi but the issues are still there intermittently. 

Still mulling things over at this stage but the Az100 and Nexus DSC is looking positive subject to it being able to hold my f/11 Frac comfortably, which I think it will. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks for the recommendation @Scoot, if I was buying a solution for the Dob only then that's the way I might go because its a lot cheaper and seems an ideal solution but I'm reluctant to not have a standalone head unit. 

However, I'm considering the new AZ100 mount with the DSC, then getting encoders for the Dob so I can use the Nexus DSC head unit with both mounts.

The Nexus DSC also works with SkySafari that way and so the head unit gives a backup for when the phone batteries fail. 

My issue is that I seem to have lots of problems with using SkySafari wirelessly with my Huawei P20 so I'm a bit reluctant to go all in with a unit that requires my phone or a computer to function, unless I've misunderstood the Nexus ii capabilities. 

I had issues with SS and the SynScan app and now I'm having similar issues with my ioptron AZ Pro and SkySafari.  It seems that Huawei have done something clever in the OS which actually causes me issues.  I thought I'd solved it by preventing SS from going to sleep and disconnecting the WiFi but the issues are still there intermittently. 

Still mulling things over at this stage but the Az100 and Nexus DSC is looking positive subject to it being able to hold my f/11 Frac comfortably, which I think it will. 

Hi again, I only have experience with Apple devices and the Nexus and once setup I've never had any issiues other than the odd loose connection. However I do know @faulksy used an Android phone with the Nexus just as successfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

Hi again, I only have experience with Apple devices and the Nexus and once setup I've never had any issiues other than the odd loose connection. However I do know @faulksy used an Android phone with the Nexus just as successfully.

Yes, sadly I think that it is just my choice of phone.  My old work iPhone did work fine, but the battery is shot and I'm reluctant to shell out on a dodgy high street/ebay  replacement battery. 

I know @Stu successfully uses SS with a Samsung Galaxy S9 (I think) which is the same basic version of Android as my Huawei, but without the Huawei jiggery pokery going on, and my wife's phone, also a Samsung is also fine.  Even my old samsung phone works OK, but the screen is pretty damaged and the battery knackered so its not very useable even though it works.

I really do think that it is something to do with the way Huawei aggressively throttles everything back to get the best battery life, even though I've tried to override the defaults to keep apps connected to the WiFi.

Lets just say lesson learned and needless to say I won't be buying another Huawei.  However, as the old adage goes, once bitten, twice shy.  Hence my aversion to stuff without a handset/head unit. 

Anyway, thanks agin, I'll put up a post when I get everything sorted out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scooot said:

The Nexus DSC has internal GPS, location coordinates and time are updated in about 20 seconds, unless you mean tapping in the target from the keypad. There is little point in buying the DSC and using Sky Safari, you just have an expensive black box doing not much. So the Wifi Nexus makes more sense if Sky Safari is to be used. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JG777 said:

The Nexus DSC has internal GPS, location coordinates and time are updated in about 20 seconds, unless you mean tapping in the target from the keypad. There is little point in buying the DSC and using Sky Safari, you just have an expensive black box doing not much. So the Wifi Nexus makes more sense if Sky Safari is to be used. 

Yes I meant tapping in the target from a keypad. With the WiFi Nexus it’s not necessary & much easier to find the targets as they’re  shown/highlighted visually on the screen in Sky Safari. 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

@Alan White Hi Alan. I'm afraid i let the scope go after responding to a 'Wanted Ad' on UKABS, as i needed the funds to help finance a new refractor purchase.

I kept the Nexus DSC though and didn't include that in the sale, as it resides on my DM6 mount.

I must say i do miss those 12" DSO views it gave on a good night, but don't miss the big bulky scope itself. I'm 53 now, and feeling it.

I do sometimes sell things on a whim thinking something else is better, then regret it afterwards a bit. Thats just me though and thats what telescope nutters sometimes do......?? 🙄

I've actually thought about buying another 8" or 10" from time to time and mounting it on my Alt-Az. 

Serge was great, and basically custom made the encoders for the scope, even ringing me up and checking all the relevant measurements.

I can certainly recommend him and Astro Devices. 

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

Thanks @Space Hopper, so your sold on the DSC and Astro Devices, which is good.

How then is the Nexus DSC unit working after some use and what sold you on it rather than the Nexus unit?

Alan : its performed really well. It has a much nicer interface with a big screen and easy to use keypad.

Its an easy 2 star alignment set up and works beautifully with my DM-6 mount. I believe the same Nexus DSC is available on the new Rowan AZ100.

Heres Serge taking you through it.........

• Thanks 1