Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any-one got any clear skies (UK) Sunday 6th?

carastro

3 websites say it is supposed to be clear here (SE London) but it's still cloudy.  Just hoping some is on the way.

I know it's only going to be clear for a couple of hours, but I have some experimentation I want to do.

Carole 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I should have added this to the "So much for the weather forecast" thread. 

But normally when several say the same it is normally right.  Only 1 out of the 4 that I looked at said cloudy.

Carole 

We had some clear sky forecast for here earlier in the evening, but I certainly missed it, if indeed it ever happened.  There are a couple of hours of clear sky forecast for around midnight on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, but other than that it looks like solid cloud all the way to the weekend.

On the positive side, it hasn't rained for a fair while, the "stream" through the orchard has dried up and walking on the grass is no longer like going ice-skating.

James

By the look of the images on sat24.com there's quite a large bank of cloud to the north west that's rotating down across the UK quite rapidly at the moment.  I can't say it's very obvious what's likely to happen after that.

James

3 minutes ago, carastro said:

Not even a crack in the clouds.

You and I are quite geographically close but I have not seen more than an hour of clear sky since mid-December.  There have been a couple of occasions when I have fired up the gear but by the time I was ready to roll, murk or clouds have rolled in.  Tuesday evening looks a possible but forecasts have been wildly off of late.

You and I are quite geographically close but I have not seen more than an hour of clear sky since mid-December. 

I managed to get a couple of hours on Thursday night and the forecast was right that night.

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

I managed to get a couple of hours on Thursday night and the forecast was right that night.

Carole 

That was a false start for me.  I got going but there were all-too-frequent wisps of cloud that kept throwing the autoguiding.  The five subs I did get were fuzzed by some high cloud as well, I think, and I could not get a consistent focus so I gave up around midnight.  Very frustrating at the moment.

I missed out on getting an early version of PS and have no intention of renting the latest one.   I am also a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to software and it probably hampers my processing.  I have had the Atik kit for about 9 months and it is a definite step up from my 15 year old SXV-H9.   That still works fine and I have just fitted it up on a Pentax 135mm lens for a wide(r) field rig I am putting together.

I've managed 2 hours for testing in 12 weeks, never known things so bad.

Some are blaming it on the Russians and Chinese meddling with the weather, there's also some thoughts with the Indonesian Volcanoes disturbing the atmosphere.

Truly a testing time, I thought last winter was bad :-(

Archived