SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

From clear to rain...

emadmoussa

So, last night was supposed to be clear, today was supposed to be clear, tonight it's supposed to be clear... 

Guess what? It's been cloudy and drizzly...now raining... 

How could you go off track by a margin of 1000? 

Clear night my £$%

image.png.022064b9e7d791165f71bcce3b035860.png

1 minute ago, emadmoussa said:

So, last night was supposed to be clear, today was supposed to be clear, tonight it's supposed to be clear... 

Clear night my £$%

image.png.022064b9e7d791165f71bcce3b035860.png

Just as bad down here too. Every forecast I've looked at for the past week has said this end of the week is clear. Even right now. Look outside and it's 10/10th's. Forecast has been a joke compared to reality

4 minutes ago, Maxrayne said:

Just as bad down here too. Every forecast I've looked at for the past week has said this end of the week is clear. Even right now. Look outside and it's 10/10th's. Forecast has been a joke compared to reality

I don't know why I even bother...

If I'm busy and I have to get up early, it'll all be clear and dandy... 

Set up 5 hours ago ready for a forecast clear night all night. In fairness it could be clear above the miles of fog.

Of course if I go and pack up, when I put the last box away the fog will probably lift. ?

2 minutes ago, upahill said:

Set up 5 hours ago ready for a forecast clear night all night. In fairness it could be clear above the miles of fog.

Of course if I go and pack up, when I put the last box away the fog will probably lift. ?

I literally just had the same conversation with myself ?

50 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Clear night my £$%

Same here, the forecasts keep promising clear sky within in the next hour, but that's been a moving target since 6pm. I've stepped outside every 30-40 mins hoping that I'm going to see the clear sky being forecast, withnothing but 100% cloud.  The satelite IR shows the UK pretty much blanketed in fog, so I'm done with looking. Maybe tomorrow.....

Supposed to be clear here as well, just 2 percent cloud cover until 4am, set my HEQ5 Pro up outside, but what is it right now? Overcast. Hoping it may clear up so I can get some imaging done still.

Yes indeed...... Frustration with a capital F.

The last two nights has been all promise but no cigar.....  

I'm at a dinner party with my partner tonight, but have brought a 14mm Sanyang and the Canon 600d just in case, Quadrantids max after all........ I think I can operate Magic Lantern afer tw0 bottles of Riocco...oops!!    But, surprise,surprise....cloudy...

It's been frustrating here as well. Looked good early evening so I put the dob out. Clouded over and even a touch of fine drizzle 30 mins later so in came the dob. Looking like it might clear again an hour or so after that but then misty clouds came across. I've just popped out now and it's clear so I've stuck the little 70mm refractor out and had a quick peek around. Another half an hour it could be solid cloud again so I'd better make the most of what I've got now !

I have given up, although nearly every morning this week when I have woken up to crystal clear skies. I had a few hours tonight playing with sgpro but realized when I went outside the issue were due to this constant blanket of cloud.

55 minutes ago, John said:

It's been frustrating here as well. Looked good early evening so I put the dob out. Clouded over and even a touch of fine drizzle 30 mins later so in came the dob. Looking like it might clear again an hour or so after that but then misty clouds came across. I've just popped out now and it's clear so I've stuck the little 70mm refractor out and had a quick peek around. Another half an hour it could be solid cloud again so I'd better make the most of what I've got now !

Just clouded over again here !

Still, thanks to the little Tele Vue Ranger 70mm grab and go I managed to get 50 minutes or so of nice observing and chalked up more than a dozen Messiers, some nice binaries and comet 46P / Wirtanen. Well done little scope ! :smiley:

Weather for me over the last three new moon periods has been hopeless.  Hardly a clear night worth mentioning. Looking at the 10 day forecast by the Met Office they are promising more cloud throughout the period. I'm afraid the weather is in a complete rut.  Knew I would pay for all those clear - if very short - summer nights.  

I know the feeling. Drove to kelling expecting clear skies.  Then a sudden change in weather according to various apps showed cloudy all night. 

So drove all the way home .

230 mile round trip.?

Yes 115 miles there. Had dinner in  a pub at 7pm.

The weather still insisted it would be clear by 8pm. Then at 7.30pm the weather apps all showed cloud and fog all night.

I don't see how they can be that wrong. 

The apps are often pretty unreliable - I've no idea how they can get even current conditions so badly wrong, let alone predict anything in the future.  These days I stick with the video forecasts by the met.  Such a frustrating few months - really poor spell in my part of the world. 

Been like that here in Wisconsin too, last night was the first clear night in three weeks and the first coinsiding with a new moon in months and I only comitted to believing it after close meteorological examination by self, then for fear of another long break in the game I pulled an all nighter with fantastic skies and even threw in the Quadrantids even though they were said to be a bust but turned out ok at about ten per hour at 3am. Tonight the temps were 26°f at nightfall and jumped to 32°f at 1030pm which is resulting in a thick layer of fog and quick as the humidity also is upticking. I certainly made the right decisions last night, best of luck everyone...you'll need it.

Freddie...

Archived