Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My photo of the Orion Nebula

KiannJames

I know its bad but heres my first photo of the Orion Nebula, i used a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian with a 4 second exposure on ISO 800 taken under severe light pollution with my phone and a UHC filter. Do any of you guys think its good?

LRM_EXPORT_16150446407525_20181230_231459669.jpeg

Great image Kiann. Some really nice colour coming through there. Which phone do you have? The more modern sensors are much lower noise and more sensitive, yours looks good!

We have a smartphone imaging section now so feel free to have a look in there, plenty of others doing similar things so it's good to share experiences.

It's always good to experiment.  It shows what's possible, what the problems are and may suggest ways of doing it better. The main problem with your image is star trailing. I don't know whether it's possible with your phone to take a series of shorter exposures for which star trailing is less apparent.  You'll then need some kind of photo app to combine them (even only manually) into a single image. 

Archived