SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Texas!

seanq1

New to the forum! Started casually stargazing when I got an Orion Scenix 10x50 binoculars as a gift 2 years ago. Bought a 10" Orion Skyline Dobsonian (same as Zhumell Z10) a few months ago and use it whenever I can, mainly from my backyard. I'm stuck with Houston light pollution, but I do plan on going to places with less light pollution. I guess for my first question on here, any recommendations for good stargazing spots near Houston? I'm willing to drive up to three hours. 

Welcome to SGL! though I am not familiar with the Houston area, my method for anywhere is sure to work. Bring up Houston on Google earth, zoom out then pick an area as far from towns and cities as possible then focus on that area for any parks or zones away from tall trees where you can set up for a while. This method involves a bit of searching yes, but after a while you would have found several spots on the map to frequent.

Welcome to SGL, plenty of outback still remains in Texas I just hope you find someplace reasonable to drive too, a 250mm dob should have no problems once a good site is found...

Best of Luck...

Freddie ?

Hello and welcome, seanq1, from a German stargazer and Dobsonaut (visual only)!

If you are willing to drive up to three hours (a real dedication!), have a look at this; there are some nice dark sky areas along the coastline and to the NE and W:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=6&lat=3581697&lon=-10635461&layers=B0FFTFFFFFT

If you enable, in the toggle menu, the "SQM/SQC overlay and filters" setting, you get, color coded, exact measurements of the sky brightness for several spots (e.g. the Kisatchi National Forest; near Nachitoches).

Happy hunting; and enjoy!

Stephan

Archived