Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worthless EQ5 goto

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I would try setting it up indoors during the day and without the weight of a scope. That way you can do a sanity check. Stellarium will tell you where stars are. So you can just estimate whether it's pointing in the right direction for a particular star. If you're getting nowhere maybe make a video of what's happening. It's unlikely to be anything mechanical - more likely a setting or something fundamental.

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I would try setting it up indoors during the day and without the weight of a scope. That way you can do a sanity check. Stellarium will tell you where stars are. So you can just estimate whether it's pointing in the right direction for a particular star. If you're getting nowhere maybe make a video of what's happening. It's unlikely to be anything mechanical - more likely a setting or something fundamental.

Louise

I will do that on Monday indoors and show you whats going on I can use a stick to represent the scope.

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I will do that on Monday indoors and show you whats going on I can use a stick to represent the scope.

You can set a false time - it doesn't know what the time really is... So if you set it to 7pm and set Stellarium to 7pm then you can pretend it's that time for alignment purposes. Just point the mount to true north with the aid of a compass app :)

Louise

You can set a false time - it doesn't know what the time really is... So if you set it to 7pm and set Stellarium to 7pm then you can pretend it's that time for alignment purposes. Just point the mount to true north with the aid of a compass app :)

Louise

Brilliant would never of thought of that. That should be easy except when I go to the first star for alignment going to be well out and obviously I cannot centre it.

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant would never of thought of that. That should be easy except when I go to the first star for alignment going to be well out and obviously I cannot centre it.

Things are always easier during the day. It's just a dummy run to see if the mount is pointing roughly in the right direction. So if you do, say a 2-star alignment, the 2nd star should be approximately in the right place relative to the first star. Then a goto to a target should also be roughly at the right az/alt. As I say, Stellarium will tell you where the stars should be for the given time and location. I've never done a star alignment with Synscan as I just platesolve. However, for example, if it asks whether the scope is on the E or W side of the pier, you obviously have to give it the right setting, and so on.

Good luck

Louise

7 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Things are always easier during the day. It's just a dummy run to see if the mount is pointing roughly in the right direction. So if you do, say a 2-star alignment, the 2nd star should be approximately in the right place relative to the first star. Then a goto to a target should also be roughly at the right az/alt. As I say, Stellarium will tell you where the stars should be for the given time and location. I've never done a star alignment with Synscan as I just platesolve. However, for example, if it asks whether the scope is on the E or W side of the pier, you obviously have to give it the right setting, and so on.

Good luck

Louise

All it says when you go to the first or second star is centre object and obviously I cannot do that.

All it says when you go to the first or second star is centre object and obviously I cannot do that.

When doing solar with my iEQ45 I star align in the daytime, it says centre star and I just click enter and carry on, it usually ends up near to the Sun so if in doors aimed north with your latitude set you could try it to see if It ends up anywhere approaching the right spot.

Dave

Yeah but you can just pretend you have! You should be able to tell if the mount is (approximately) pointing at the expected az and alt. If it isn't  then something fundamental is wrong that you nee to sort out first. If you don't have stellarium downloaded you can use the web version.

Louise

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

When doing solar with my iEQ45 I star align in the daytime, it says centre star and I just click enter and carry on, it usually ends up near to the Sun so if in doors aimed north with your latitude set you could try it to see if It ends up anywhere approaching the right spot.

Dave

What star do you pick or do you just pick any goto that press enter then goto the sun.

Yeah but you can just pretend you have! You should be able to tell if the mount is (approximately) pointing at the expected az and alt. If it isn't  then something fundamental is wrong that you nee to sort out first. If you don't have stellarium downloaded you can use the web version.

Louise

I have it on my phone and my computer not sure you can adjust the time on the phone version though.

37 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If the gears are well adjusted, there may still be play in the worm. Also, I found it worth loading it up with a scope before adjusting the worm.

^^^This! When I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my EQ5 I thought I got every last bit of tolerance out of gears and worm end play. Only when it was loaded up with scope and weights did I see just how much play was still in it.

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

^^^This! When I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my EQ5 I thought I got every last bit of tolerance out of gears and worm end play. Only when it was loaded up with scope and weights did I see just how much play was still in it.

A bit of slop in the gears shouldn't cause much of a problem with star alignment. I'm very pleased with my eq3 pro. Even though it has some dec backlash issues, it still guides quite well, at any rate, as well as can be expected.

Louise

I have considered either sending it off to "Darkframe" or going into debt and getting an HEQ5. Darkframe starts at £179 so could cost me £250-300 with parts or get a second hand HEQ5 for around £550 but I would prefer not spending anything and fix this ****** mount.

I have considered either sending it off to "Darkframe" or going into debt and getting an HEQ5. Darkframe starts at £179 so could cost me £250-300 with parts or get a second hand HEQ5 for around £550 but I would prefer not spending anything and fix this ****** mount.

You don't use it for imaging, do you? I doubt it needs a Darkframe tune-up (which is very expensive anyway). Do try the daytime setup and make a video :)

Louise

23 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

So my son and I stripped and regreased the mount, took our time making sure everything was spot on no backlash. We have done this because the mount was way out wasn't hitting targets.

This is the first night had a chance a chance try it out. levelled mount Polar aligned put scope and weights on checked Polar alignment again.

Went to Capella miles out expected pulled it in using the Telrad then my crosshair reticule eyepiece. Went to M36 nothing M37 same again M38 same again using a 25mm BST  so went back to Capella 2 full Telrad circles out.

Went to Deneb 1 star aligned same as Capella went to Albireo not in FOV miles out so I have give up.

Is there anyone close to me who would have a look at the mount maybe strip it and put it back together otherwise just going sit in cupboard I may as well sell up everything if not.?

Welcome to the endlessly frustrating world of EQ mounts.

Junk it. Do not sell and inflict pain on others.

30 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

You don't use it for imaging, do you? I doubt it needs a Darkframe tune-up (which is very expensive anyway). Do try the daytime setup and make a video :)

Louise

No I am visual only but at least I would know the mount was spot on.

15 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

No I am visual only but at least I would know the mount was spot on.

I'm not even sure that would help if the problem lies elsewhere Paul. I still wonder about power supply as that can have this sort of effect, is it worth trying an alternative to rule it out?

35 minutes ago, Donkeiller said:

Welcome to the endlessly frustrating world of EQ mounts.

Junk it. Do not sell and inflict pain on others.

Nothing wrong with EQ mounts, the ones I've had have always worked very well.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm not even sure that would help if the problem lies elsewhere Paul. I still wonder about power supply as that can have this sort of effect, is it worth trying an alternative to rule it out?

I've tried my battery box hooked up to trickle charge never went under 13 volts even under load.

Nick said power and could of been with the adapter I use but when I used the box I knew for certain it was not power.

I am at a loss, going factory reset handset and try that otherwise may as well pack in doing my head in now.

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I've tried my battery box hooked up to trickle charge never went under 13 volts even under load.

Nick said power and could of been with the adapter I use but when I used the box I knew for certain it was not power.

I am at a loss, going factory reset handset and try that otherwise may as well pack in doing my head in now.

If it's doing the same thing and out by the same amount every time, it's almost certainly either a setting or else your PA is way out. What is the mount standing on - concrete?

Louise

Archived