Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worthless EQ5 goto

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

No diffetence really but depends on the output of the charger. If you use your phone heavily the battery still goes down whilst charging 

Say the mount draws 3amp but charger is 1.5 amp, then the mount should theoretically draw 1.5amp from charger and 1.5amp from battery and shouldn't be an issue,  but knowing how fussy these mounts are about their power id bet 1 shiny pound that this is the problem! 

Sorry, the charger won't make any difference to what the battery can put out, all it will do is make the battery go flat more slowly.

It's no different to your car with the alternator running all the time.

Right having a look at the mount I had done a very daft thing I had put the RA motor on the larger cog not the smaller one put it all back together and from a rough alignment and a few different objects it looks like it is fixed. I will post a video now.

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Right having a look at the mount I had done a very daft thing I had put the RA motor on the larger cog not the smaller one put it all back together and from a rough alignment and a few different objects it looks like it is fixed. I will post a video now.

Ahhhhh…….

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Paul, I recall your mount working very well at a previous star party and put the Crab dead centre. Has something changed since then?

I had it fixed by Damian as the wobbly bolts had made a mess but cannot believe Damian would have got it wrong, originally I think it was me setting up wrong somehow which I have just worked out. As you will see I did not put it together right no wonder it was so far out.

A lot of cursing but after I made the video and it looked like it was working I was dancing around the living room I didn't video that part ?

Stripped it again as axis was tight bearing was upside down broke my circlip pliers on retaining ring hey HO the joys of Astronomy.

On 14/12/2018 at 19:06, wookie1965 said:

So my son and I stripped and regreased the mount, took our time making sure everything was spot on no backlash. We have done this because the mount was way out wasn't hitting targets.

This is the first night had a chance a chance try it out. levelled mount Polar aligned put scope and weights on checked Polar alignment again.

Went to Capella miles out expected pulled it in using the Telrad then my crosshair reticule eyepiece. Went to M36 nothing M37 same again M38 same again using a 25mm BST  so went back to Capella 2 full Telrad circles out.

Went to Deneb 1 star aligned same as Capella went to Albireo not in FOV miles out so I have give up.

Is there anyone close to me who would have a look at the mount maybe strip it and put it back together otherwise just going sit in cupboard I may as well sell up everything if not.?

Welcome to the world of pain that is EQ mounts☠️☠️

34 minutes ago, Donkeiller said:

As I keep posting, there is nothing wrong with EQ mounts. This problem was caused by an error in re-assembling it which could happen with any type of mount. They are quite straightforward once you understand them, and I find a simple tracking motor very efficient for tracking the planets, moon or sun.

For visual I find my EQ6 to be both forgiving and robust. I can tell when the powerbank is getting low on ooomff, it stops working! :)

I just get polaris somewhere (anywhere!) middling in the polar scope, 2 or 3 star align (which I don't think has ever gone wrong for me) and off I go. Actually I couldn't be rougher.

No hour angles for polaris, no leveling the tripod (pointless exercise on EQ mounts), no home position malarky. Being lazy I do have the GPS dongle, saves me even tapping numbers in! :)

Indeed, my only recommendation for newcomers to Synscan would be to buy the proprietary GPS dongle.

13 hours ago, Donkeiller said:

An EQ mount is nothing more or less then an Alt/Az mount in a particular angle, parallel to the earth axes on the place where you are situated...

so, what is your problem...?

Archived