SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Worthless EQ5 goto

So my son and I stripped and regreased the mount, took our time making sure everything was spot on no backlash. We have done this because the mount was way out wasn't hitting targets.

This is the first night had a chance a chance try it out. levelled mount Polar aligned put scope and weights on checked Polar alignment again.

Went to Capella miles out expected pulled it in using the Telrad then my crosshair reticule eyepiece. Went to M36 nothing M37 same again M38 same again using a 25mm BST  so went back to Capella 2 full Telrad circles out.

Went to Deneb 1 star aligned same as Capella went to Albireo not in FOV miles out so I have give up.

Is there anyone close to me who would have a look at the mount maybe strip it and put it back together otherwise just going sit in cupboard I may as well sell up everything if not.?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to try next time - make absolutely sure that you have polar aligned accurately then carry out a 3 star alignment with a tiny twist:-

1. Slew to the first alignment star

2. Uncouple the clutches and manually push/pull the two axes to centre the alignment star

3. Tighten the clutches

4. Carry out the rest of the 3 star alignment for the other two stars in the usual manner

21 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Something to try next time - make absolutely sure that you have polar aligned accurately then carry out a 3 star alignment with a tiny twist:-

1. Slew to the first alignment star

2. Uncouple the clutches and manually push/pull the two axes to centre the alignment star

3. Tighten the clutches

4. Carry out the rest of the 3 star alignment for the other two stars in the usual manner

I have tried that with 1 and 2 star alignment but not tried it on 3 star. I am going factory reset the handset.

37 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have tried that with 1 and 2 star alignment but not tried it on 3 star. I am going factory reset the handset.

Unfortunately, if it isn't working on 1 and 2 star alignments, it won't work on a 3 star either ? - I only suggested a 3 star for 'belt and braces' purposes.

20 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Unfortunately, if it isn't working on 1 and 2 star alignments, it won't work on a 3 star either ? - I only suggested a 3 star for 'belt and braces' purposes.

Ok thanks I have not got a clue what is wrong with it looks like I'm going have strip it again.

I would like really someone close to me with more knowledge could of stripped it with me then I could rule that out as the problem.

21 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Ok thanks I have not got a clue what is wrong with it looks like I'm going have strip it again.

I don't know what the issue is but I would be surprised if stripping it down and cleaning it was the solution unless you KNOW that it is binding/graunching/sticking.

Have you tried to look through the eyepiece and slew slowly from side to side and up and down to see how much backlash and play is in the gears? Like 2 or 3 speed, slew right for a bit, stop, then slew left? How long does it take to move left? Straight away or is there a delay? Same with up and down?

Polar alignment and GoTo are separate beasts.  I wouldn't worry too much about super accurate PA until you sort the GoTo.  My first suspicion would be your power supply.  If that isn't up to spec it can cause all sorts of issues.  Can you check you are getting consistent voltage and current from your supply?  I recently 'fixed' an EQ5 power issue (from the battery pack).  One (new) cell was only providing 0.6V and that caused problems.  I also made up a mains supply to use as well from an old Nintendo kit.  The clutch was also slightly loose so I fettled that. All is good now.

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Its both axis but the RA one is the worse if I bring the star back in to central it it is the RA and then the Dec slightly. RA East Dec north.

Is the RA error is consistent ? can you attach a DSLR, take an image and plate solve it to see the exact error and then repeat to see if it's the same or random.

Big RA error sounds like a time thing.

Factory reset is a good idea.

Doubt if it's mechanical unless an encoder is falling off.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Is the RA error is consistent ? can you attach a DSLR, take an image and plate solve it to see the exact error and then repeat to see if it's the same or random.

Big RA error sounds like a time thing.

Factory reset is a good idea.

Doubt if it's mechanical unless an encoder is falling off.

Dave

I`m visual only I dont have a DSLR, it has been playing up for a while now I decided to strip it down using an online guide and put it back together the RA was a little stiff well not as smooth as the Dec axis.  

It has got worse since I have done that although I have updated my handset.

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you tried to look through the eyepiece and slew slowly from side to side and up and down to see how much backlash and play is in the gears? Like 2 or 3 speed, slew right for a bit, stop, then slew left? How long does it take to move left? Straight away or is there a delay? Same with up and down?

I did notice that the RA took a second or so to move but when we put it together we checked and rechecked there was no movement before the cogs moved it was instantaneous.

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Polar alignment and GoTo are separate beasts.  I wouldn't worry too much about super accurate PA until you sort the GoTo.  My first suspicion would be your power supply.  If that isn't up to spec it can cause all sorts of issues.  Can you check you are getting consistent voltage and current from your supply?  I recently 'fixed' an EQ5 power issue (from the battery pack).  One (new) cell was only providing 0.6V and that caused problems.  I also made up a mains supply to use as well from an old Nintendo kit.  The clutch was also slightly loose so I fettled that. All is good now.

I use this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qvis-12V-5A-4-Way-CCTV-Camera-Power-Supply-with-UK-3-Pin-Power-Lead-PSU-Jacks/201829594671?hash=item2efdfb362f:g:qMEAAOSwdGFYriGA:rk:2:pf:0

But I have tried my battery box with trickle charge getting a permanent 13 volts I have a tester on the front.  The picture was taken half way through the build but you get the idea.

20171105_173252.jpg

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If it is unbalanced or binding then the stepper motors can miss steps

I checked the balance in fact I had to move the scope an inch through the rings to get balance as it was front heavy and I had no adjustment left on the dovetail.

Archived