Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Paint recommendations for galvanised steel?

Astrokev

Hi all,

I'd like to paint the pier in my soon to be completed observatory. It is made from galvanised air-conditioning duct tubing. 

Please could anyone recommend a suitable paint? I believe you can get Hamerite especially for galvanised, but I've never used it. Does anyone have experience of using this, or are there better alternatives?

many thanks. 

You used to be able to get nice acid based etching primer but no doubt it has gone the way of other solvent based paints thanks to elf & safety now everything has gone water based, tried it on some galvanised sheet a while ago and it started peeling after a few months outside.

Inside I'd be inclined to just give it a coat of Hammerite.

Dave

An etching primer will be needed, but should be available in any hardware store. Make sure you give your pillar a good cleaning prior to painting, even if you just installed it. 

I know Rustoleum makes a specific primer for galvanized steel, but I am not sure if it is available on this side of the pond. 

Thanks everyone.

I note some of these products are designed to be used on new galvanised. In case it helps, just some extra information - the ducting I used is over 12 years old. The first 5 years of its life were spent in a factory roof space as part of an air-con system. Following decommissioning, the next 5 years or so were spent in the corner of my shed, and then a couple of years in my garden (mostly covered by my observatory).

So, it's definitely not new!. There are a few shinier bits still on the surface, but most of it has dulled down now, with quite a few splashes of concrete which I'll have to scrape off.

care to post a picture of it,

Any work we do on pre galvanised material get a going over with a flap disk on an angle grinder then gets a good spray of the galvafroid. as long as their is no pitting and colour changes ie to rust colour  as per where the concrete spillage just grind back with a flap disk then respray.

untitled.bmp

disc.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't bother to paint it.  Unless, of course, you're going to invite lots of people on tours of your observatory and want it to look posh ?  I left mine as plain concrete...  It had a job to do and didn't need to look particularly nice.

BTW are you planning on filling the duct with a concrete mix with fixing bolts in place? you could then cut the ducting away but I would leave it in place and you could also Flock it with wilco flock and stick fuzzy stars and planets on it just a thought....?

18 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

BTW are you planning on filling the duct with a concrete mix with fixing bolts in place? you could then cut the ducting away but I would leave it in place and you could also Flock it with wilco flock and stick fuzzy stars and planets on it just a thought....?

The pictures don't show the top of the ducting, but it is already filled wit concrete (I did that bit about a year ago!).

Actually, you can see a patch which looks a flat blue/grey colour about half way down. This is where I sanded a load of concrete off. If I can get paint to stick as well as the concrete did, I won't have any problems ?. EDIT - maybe I should render it with coloured concrete ?

Interesting idea about flocking etc. Maybe paint is not the only coating worth considering ?

19 minutes ago, Gina said:

Personally, I wouldn't bother to paint it.  Unless, of course, you're going to invite lots of people on tours of your observatory and want it to look posh ?  I left mine as plain concrete...  It had a job to do and didn't need to look particularly nice.

Well that's a thought I suppose. I don't particularly want it to look posh, but it looks pretty awful at the moment. Maybe a should clean it up and see what it looks like then. Exposed concrete and galvanised steel is very in-vogue these days in interior design circles I think :) 

16 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Well that's a thought I suppose. I don't particularly want it to look posh, but it looks pretty awful at the moment. Maybe a should clean it up and see what it looks like then. Exposed concrete and galvanised steel is very in-vogue these days in interior design circles I think :) 

I've seen polished concrete floors that look very sharp.  My wife was telling me recently that she'd seen a programme in which a chap built a house from concrete and just left the surfaces as they were when the formwork was removed.  I think that's taking it a bit too far :)

James

In my architect days of old, did a bit of polished concrete comes up like marble but very dependant on choice of aggregate. Made for nice posh worktops and much loved by 'dinkies'. Towards the end of my career we were specifying rammed earth for some internal walls to provide increased thermal mass in an environmentally friendly way. There is a rather nice memorial chapel on the line of the DDR wall in Berlin where they have used rammed aggregate walls made from recycled crushed concrete from 'the Wall' together with simple timber screens and roofing. Works really well in a quiet and thoughtful way - rough common materials combined carefully to create an intimate and sensitive place - surprising!

George currently not in Lowestoft

1 hour ago, Hawksmoor said:

Made for nice posh worktops and much loved by 'dinkies'.

Ah yes the concrete worktop fad, thank the lord it didn't last long then we had the glass worktops with matching glass splash backs another fad, thankfully most sensible folk have granite nowadays, much easier to work with :grin:

Dave

Archived