Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The gift of excellent transparency

Littleguy80

23 minutes ago, John said:

Excellent report Neil and many congratulations on the Horsehead :)

I can still recall the thrill the 1st time that I managed to see it and it sounds like your observation was clearer than mine was with my 12".

FWIW I find the Flame Nebula easier to see without any filter but the HB did make the HH possible once I was getting reasonably clear views of the Flame without it.

Seeing conditions are so very important with this sort of observing as you say.

Thank you, John! When I think back on how much clearer the California Nebula was compared to previous viewings then I really have to attribute the success to the conditions at that time. It was unexpected to say the least. I have recently cleaned my primary mirror and collimated it including the secondary. The eyepiece used is only a few months old so my equipment should be near peak performance too which can only have helped. 

I’m looking forward to some filter testing with the flame following the comments today. The large exit pupil seemed to be the key when I saw it with H-Beta. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil what a brilliant observing report. Well done on the HH it makes the purchase of a H.Beta worth every penny. It was very useful to know the success of the ES30mm  against the APM 20mm and I am sure it will be noted by many trying to view the HH.

In the years to come this night you will never forget - so really well done.

PS - I forgot to say well done on Stephan's Quintet this is something I have never really seen.

Just been rifling through past notes and agree with John, a UHC was beneficial although I had preferred the view of the Flame without. Interacting between two eyepieces at 142x and 184x, revealing, a little distance from Alintak, first the dark central lane, brighter lobe regions and radiating branches. The 10mm (184x) conveyed the best contrast and overall view. Also quite agree Neil with your previous comments that gently manoeuvring the scope 'catching the movement of something in the eyepiece' is effective at picking up faint objects. I can also understand that the H-beta with a large exit pupil, will have conveyed that impression of the Flame, particularly considering that transparency was very good.

A cracking report Neil and I'm very envious of you getting visual on the HH. The skies were great here in my part of South Norfolk (well its only 15 miles from Seething), but it was crazy windy so I couldn't image anything (I couldn't even secure a good focus with the auto focus routine). I didn't want to move the camera as it's set for a target I've only part completed, so that prevcented me doing any visual with the c14 too. I did get the 15x70 bins out though to look at the Mars/Neptune conjunction, which was afine sight and also 46P which was an easy get, but I then gave up. I did think about driving over to Seething, but I feared that it was too windy even for visual and that no one would be set up - clearly a big mistake...!! Glad that you had such a great session.

Geof

On 09/12/2018 at 09:48, Mark at Beaufort said:

Neil what a brilliant observing report. Well done on the HH it makes the purchase of a H.Beta worth every penny. It was very useful to know the success of the ES30mm  against the APM 20mm and I am sure it will be noted by many trying to view the HH.

In the years to come this night you will never forget - so really well done.

PS - I forgot to say well done on Stephan's Quintet this is something I have never really seen.

Thank you, Mark. I was beaming all weekend! Even my wife understood the significance and let me talk about it! I think the 10" is at the lower end aperture wise for seeing the HH so it makes sense that I needed low power and a big exit pupil. I would imagine those seeing it at high magnifications with larger aperture are probably using a similar exit pupil. 

The Quintet was visually less impressive than the HH but still a great result to see it or at least the 4 of the 5 I saw.

On 09/12/2018 at 18:13, geoflewis said:

A cracking report Neil and I'm very envious of you getting visual on the HH. The skies were great here in my part of South Norfolk (well its only 15 miles from Seething), but it was crazy windy so I couldn't image anything (I couldn't even secure a good focus with the auto focus routine). I didn't want to move the camera as it's set for a target I've only part completed, so that prevcented me doing any visual with the c14 too. I did get the 15x70 bins out though to look at the Mars/Neptune conjunction, which was afine sight and also 46P which was an easy get, but I then gave up. I did think about driving over to Seething, but I feared that it was too windy even for visual and that no one would be set up - clearly a big mistake...!! Glad that you had such a great session.

Geof

Thank you, Geof. There weren't many observing at Seething. I was the only one who was consistently out. I think the wind put quite a few people off but seemed to be a factor in the excellent conditions on the night.

Transparent skies really do make all the difference. Superb report and one to be treasured.

NGC246 is a fantastic sight and one I came across completely by accident. I was hunting out NGC255 and there it was on the edge of the field of view. 

Now you've seen the HH neb you'll pick it up everytime although if the yransparency isn't as good the contrast will suffer. 

Keep up with the reports their great to read. 

Archived