Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The gift of excellent transparency

Littleguy80

It rained all morning and finally stopped sometime just after lunchtime yesterday. The clouds remained. I checked the satellite images and really couldn't see where the clear skies in the forecast were going to come from. Around 3pm, the clouds cleared and I put the dob outside to cool. I was really looking forward to Neptune's encounter with Mars. I finished up work around 4:45pm and was pleased to see Mars clearly in the sky. I popped a 9mm eyepiece in and was very pleased to immediately see the blue dot of Neptune next to the bright pale orange Mars. My eldest daughter came out and took a look too. I went for a 6mm ortho for 200x mag. The contrasting colours of the two planets made for some excellent views. I really enjoy planetary conjunctions and this was no exception. It was time for some tea and to get the kids inside.

The session resumed around 8pm at my local dark site. It was club night for the Norwich Astronomical Society. The Milky Way looked great overhead and I was surprised that no one was out observing already. I wasted no time in unloading everything from the car and getting set up. As I was connecting up my dew heaters, I was joined by another member with binoculars. I talked about Mars and Neptune, which he wasn't aware of. I swung the dob round to Mars and we both took a look a look at the conjunction. The gap had widened but I still easily fit both in the same field of view. My first target after that was Comet 46P/Wirtanen. It was an easy find and could showed clearly be seen even in the 9x50 finder. A large nebulous patch with a bright core. My observing partner came over for a look too. It's been a good year for comets with this being my fifth of the year. 

I was now offered a view of Andromeda through binoculars by my fellow astronomer. It's really interesting to see the extent of the galaxy at low power. The show off in me decided to put the ES82 30mm eyepiece and point it at Andromeda too. The 2 degree field of view gives a spectacular view of Andromeda and its galactic buddies, M32 and M110. This was the first time of the evening that it crossed my mind that the transparency was looking really good. Next target was NGC 246, the Skull nebula. A fairly large planetary nebula which responded well to both the UHC and OIII filters I tried. I couldn't really discern a skull from it but there was plenty of nebulosity with several bright stars within it.

The dob was now pointed at Pegasus, and the galaxy NGC 7331. The galaxy was a good size and bright. I used this as a starting point to try and observe Stephan's Quintet. Using SkySafari, I spent quite a bit of time establishing which were the stars that surrounded the quintet. I then experimented with various eyepieces. With the 9mm BGO, I started detecting a ghostly trio of galaxies. Very faint but definitely there. I was able to repeat this observation several times. Checking SkySafari after these observations, I decided that I'd seen 4 of the 5 galaxies. A fantastic result and further proving the excellent transparency. After spending a long time at the limits of what I could see, I decided to go for something brighter. M33 was bright even in the finder and clear as day in the eyepiece. It's bright nebula, NGC 604, was also an easy spot. I spent a little time with a UHC filter looking for bright patches that could be other nebula within the galaxy.

With an OIII filter in place, I went to Orion to try and see the Flame nebula. A few maybe moments but it really wasn't happening. I was really disappointed by this. With conditions so good, it felt like this should be achievable. I moved down to M42. I normally observe this unfiltered and so the view through the OIII was quite stunning with the extra contrast of dark skies and filtering. Similarly the Rosette nebula put on a great show under dark skies. It was a really windy night and I was feeling the cold at this point. I took a look at NGC 2301, Hagred's dragon for something easy to see and fun. It's without doubt one of my favourite open clusters. Another member who was now out observing commented "There's not much moisture up there tonight". My scope was bone dry and I hadn't even turned my dew heaters on. I decided to take a walk around the site and eat some chocolate to warm up.

On returning to my dob a few minutes later, I found that, other than one imager, I was now alone. I put my H-Beta filter and targeted the California nebula, NGC 1499. Once again the quality of the skies was confirmed. The nebula was an easy spot running left to right through the eyepiece. I was again using the ES82 30mm to maximise the field of view. It was amazing to see it so clearly when thinking back to the first time I saw it when it was very faint. I called the imager over for a look, he struggled a bit more but was able to see it. He then pointed to clouds gathering on the horizon and said "I don't t think we've got long left".

Back to Orion and targeting, Altinak, I took the plunge to see what the ES82 30mm and Astronomik H-Beta could show me. First thing I noticed was that there was definitely nebulosity there. I started to moving slowly up from Altinak, as the bright star neared the edge of the field of view a notch in the nebulosity caught my eye. A moment of realisation hit me and a profound choice of words marked the occasion!! Surely it couldn't be? I moved back down and repeated the sweep, there is was again. With two stars sitting not far about it. I checked SkySafari. The stars were in the right place. I was seeing the Horse Head Nebula!!!! I went back down to Altinak, did a double take as there was the Flame nebula, clear as day. The nebula with its striking dark lane was obvious with the H-Beta when it had been invisible with the OIII. I kept on moving around picking the Horse Head up several more times. With the low magnification, it looked like a little black sock puppet against a hazy white background. I tried the APM HDC 20mm but that didn't seem to work as well. The large exit pupil of the ES82 30mm seemed to be the key. The clouds now reached Orion and it was gone. The whole drive home I just kept shaking my head in disbelief, I'd seen the Horse Head Nebula. The thing I couldn't get over was that it was a clear observation. I'd always expected it to be right on the edge of visible and leaving me with a question mark as to whether I'd really seen it or not. I thanked my lucky stars for a night under such great skies. I love this hobby! 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Good stuff Neil. Yep, you need the Hb to see the Flame! (fyi, you can also get it with UHC and a big mirror)

Glad you got the HH too. Nothing but strong winds up here tho!

Clear Skies,

Alan

Thank you, Alan. I was sure I’d read that you need a OIII filter for the Flame. Clearly I was mistaken. It was pretty windy down in Norfolk too. 

7 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you, Alan. I was sure I’d read that you need a OIII filter for the Flame. Clearly I was mistaken. It was pretty windy down in Norfolk too. 

Interestingly this well known comparison says UHC or Deep Sky filter best for the Flame Nebula. I don't have personal experience of these but was surprised to read that.

https://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

Screenshot_20181208-110727_Chrome.jpg

Nice report there Neil, Thanks.  A few objects you mentioned I have not heard of before, so that'll be interesting to look them up and see what they are all about.  I was only reading about the Horsehead nebula last night and was surprised about the amount of times the word 'elusive' cropped up. Congrats on spotting it!

?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Interestingly this well known comparison says UHC or Deep Sky filter best for the Flame Nebula. I don't have personal experience of these but was surprised to read that.

https://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

Screenshot_20181208-110727_Chrome.jpg

That is interesting. I often refer to that as a guide for which filter to use. The flame was really bright with the H-Beta last night but I just couldn’t see it with the OIII. I didn’t try a UHC. The Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide describes it as a reflection nebula requiring no filter!

9 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

That is interesting. I often refer to that as a guide for which filter to use. The flame was really bright with the H-Beta last night but I just couldn’t see it with the OIII. I didn’t try a UHC. The Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide describes it as a reflection nebula requiring no filter!

Yes, it's not what I expected but your experience seems to contradict that link ie if it was bright in the Hb then it should have been brighter in the OIII?

Nice report Neil and lucky you, further down the coast I was observing at a new observing site with a fellow CPAC member.
We viewed similar to yourself but had some very variable seeing and quite a bit of scudding cloud after 1030 or so.
Just being out and away from my light intruded home location was all good.
We had a thoroughly pleasant time, sounds like Norfolk came up trumps for you and the NAS.
Don't you just love this hobby.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, it's not what I expected but your experience seems to contradict that link ie if it was bright in the Hb then it should have been brighter in the OIII?

Absolutely. If it’s a reflection nebula then it should show best with no filter. At least that’s my understanding of reflection nebula. 

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

One big difference when I tried the OIII was I using higher magnification and hence smaller exit pupil. Which would make sense why I didn’t see the Flame with the OIII. I think I may have been using the 13mm APM with the OIII. I wanted a smaller field of view to keep Altinak outside the FOV

52 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

One big difference when I tried the OIII was I using higher magnification and hence smaller exit pupil. Which would make sense why I didn’t see the Flame with the OIII. I think I may have been using the 13mm APM with the OIII. I wanted a smaller field of view to keep Altinak outside the FOV

Yes, that would make sense. As I understand it bigger exit pupil generally better for narrow band filtering.

Fabulous report Neil and congratulations for gaining the 'little black sock puppet', a fine description. Understandably your eyes would have become attuned after examining the California. It was blustery but transparency can be good in such circumstances. That dobsonian is really delivering as are your observing skills, the calibre of challenging targets gained, testament to that. The Flame is definitely an object that you determine through trial and error as to which eyepiece etc is most applicable for gaining optimum observation. It took myself a few observation attempts and taking regard to, such as Gerry's excellent descriptions, before I determined the best focal length for the scope I was using.  Great result on Stephens Quintet, that comet and everything. I haven't got out for a while, only being clear when I have work the following day etc, so this report is a reminder as you say, why we love this hobby. 

12 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Fabulous report Neil and congratulations for gaining the 'little black sock puppet', a fine description. Understandably your eyes would have become attuned after examining the California. It was blustery but transparency can be good in such circumstances. That dobsonian is really delivering as are your observing skills, the calibre of challenging targets gained, testament to that. The Flame is definitely an object that you determine through trial and error as to which eyepiece etc is most applicable for gaining optimum observation. It took myself a few observation attempts and taking regard to, such as Gerry's excellent descriptions, before I determined the best focal length for the scope I was using.  Great result on Stephens Quintet, that comet and everything. I haven't got out for a while, only being clear when I have work the following day etc, so this report is a reminder as you say, why we love this hobby. 

Thank you, Iain. You and Gerry have both been big sources of inspiration and excellent guides in the art of deep sky observing. I’ve achieved a lot just through applying the advice you’ve posted here on SGL. 

I’m really buzzing today just thinking about it!

7 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Lovely report Neil. It’s clear to me you have good eyes and great observation skills. ?

When observing DSOs do you predominantly use averted vision?

Thank you :) I find slowly moving the scope around is the most effective way to pick faint objects up. Catching the movement of something in the eyepiece seems to be the secret. I really struggled with averted vision starting out. I still look for a nearby star to focus on to stop myself jumping to direct vision and losing the object. I guess moving the scope will put things into the periphery of my vision allowing them to come into view. 

2 hours ago, GavStar said:

Lovely report Neil. It’s clear to me you have good eyes and great observation skills. ?

When observing DSOs do you predominantly use averted vision?

I do think conditions are by far the biggest factor. Seething is normally very damp and dew heaters are an absolute must. It was very unusual to have a night where they’re not used. One of the other NAS members once told me about seeing the horsehead in France. It was easy because the sky’s were so good. Good conditions can flatter your observing skills!

Excellent report Neil and many congratulations on the Horsehead :)

I can still recall the thrill the 1st time that I managed to see it and it sounds like your observation was clearer than mine was with my 12".

FWIW I find the Flame Nebula easier to see without any filter but the HB did make the HH possible once I was getting reasonably clear views of the Flame without it.

Seeing conditions are so very important with this sort of observing as you say.

Archived